Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #151
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Obama tells military vets to pay for their own ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
I don't think you understand how in the middle i am. If i were so left i wouldn't have thought Cramer getting blown up by Jon Stewart wasn't ****ed up. I generally give my unbias opinion here with very little bias in regards to bball or this stuff. Except when i feel like i'm talking or responding to people of whom are already bias and have an agenda which i agree i will favor the left to counter what i feel they are favoring.

I also think in regards to the bailouts specifically, its a lot more gray than you presume is the easy black and white answer. I don't think any broken up Insurance backer could back all of what AIG backs, and take on that type of liability. Businesses unable to get insurance for what they do makes doing business too much of a risk to even do business.

I mean i'm definitely more left than right, but when you have the right constantly attacking Obama before he even takes office, exaggerating anything and everything they can come up with, and reading about the hypocrisy of what they pretend to know and preach everyday, its hard not to lean against them. I just see way more lies, exaggerations, and attacks coming from the right at the left than vice versa, and always have. I swear they've been successful based on catch phrase propaganda their masses follow and repeat, but don't actually know wtf their talking about. And a lot of the people in this thread claiming to be Independent now, are/were right, don't let them fool you. They just pretend to be know-it-alls constantly but have a track record of being more wrong than any of the rest of us here

Anyways i swear the Republican party has gotten away with so much in the last few years that has been underhanded and twisted, that just doesn't hold true for the left. Its just like when people say they are both just as bad, but that just isn't true if you actually follow real news day to day, and remember what really happened in hindsight, not the right wing constantly reinvented versions

you misunderstand what Im saying...

Im not saying you should play the middle more....

Im saying the whole thing is a distraction.... the middle included...

We are Americans... thats all there is to it.... we dont need to be on a 'side' or belong to a 'party'..... we are all on the same side... we are in the same party

by choosing a side, you are rejecting half of your potential support..

alot of republicans have democratic ideals just as many democrats have republican beliefs....

you dont need to split us in half and make us adversaries... we would think more clearly and understand each other better if we stuck together instead dividing ourselves and arguing over arbitrary goals..

splitting us in half hurts us... we are competing against ourselves... that never works
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #152
White Chocolate
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
Obama is being a smart man in times of trouble.

Those army folks and Marine militia have had their honour and playtime.

Its time for the economy to step up and take the money that those silly geysers don't need.

This is smart. I approve.

I know you're entitled to your own opinion, but how can you possibly support this? This hurts many people and it hurts people in multiple ways. First, everyone's rates would go up because of this. Where else would the money come from? Second, if you think more troops are needed now, this would turn away people from enlisting. People are going to say "I have to foot the bill if I get hurt serving MY country? F*ck that."
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #153
PejaNowitzki
#1 Manute Bol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
you misunderstand what Im saying...

Im not saying you should play the middle more....

Im saying the whole thing is a distraction.... the middle included...

We are Americans... thats all there is to it.... we dont need to be on a 'side' or belong to a 'party'..... we are all on the same side... we are in the same party

by choosing a side, you are rejecting half of your potential support..

alot of republicans have democratic ideals just as many democrats have republican beliefs....

you dont need to split us in half and make us adversaries... we would think more clearly and understand each other better if we stuck together instead dividing ourselves and arguing over arbitrary goals..

splitting us in half hurts us... we are competing against ourselves... that never works

The political parties play us for fools. They could never pull half their nonsense if the American people were united in principle. Its much easier for them to have their way when we are at each others throats.
PejaNowitzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #154
konex
NBA All-star

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0309/20190.html

Quote:
President Barack Obama reversed course Wednesday on a highly charged proposal to have private insurance companies, instead of the Veterans Affairs Department, pay for veterans' service-related injuries.

The proposed policy shift was aimed at recouping $540 million, but it risked souring goodwill of veterans, an enormous political constituency. And veterans groups, learning of the possibility last month, had quickly mobilized to oppose it.

Eleven veterans' service organizations met the president on Monday, then followed up with White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel on Wednesday.

Later, at another meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), they were assured the president had changed his mind, said Jim King, executive director of Amvets.

"Our message to the president was simple and direct: that our government must not abandon its moral responsibility to the men and women who have sacrificed so much for our freedoms," said David Gorman, executive director of Disabled American Veterans.

At the White House, press secretary Robert Gibbs issued a statement confirming the reversal, saying the president had listened closely to the veterans' concerns and ordered the proposal "dropped."

Now, Gibbs said, the president was eager to "continue a constructive partnership" with the veterans' groups as they work through other budget issues.

For Obama, pressing forward would have been politically risky, King suggested, because going to the insurance companies could have had the ultimate effect of curtailing veterans' health care. And doing so would have been seen as "breaking of that bond" of those who served the nation, he said.

With the president backing down, King said, veterans can focus again on Obama's proposal to dramatically increase funding for veterans' health care, which had been overshadowed by the insurance controversy.

konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #155
Kappy
Good High School Starter

So, Obama can't get Congress to agree with his $3.55 TRILLION (as a down-payment) budget, so now he wants YOU to help him get it passed. hahahahahaha .... I'm telling you, Obama is really starting to worry me and annoy me!! "Oh, Congress won't allow me to COMPLETELY drain the country, so will you please call your Representative and demand it for me??!!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Front Page: "Obama Enlists Campaign Army In Budget Fight"

By Christopher Hass - Mar 16th, 2009 at 12:38 pm EDT

President Obama will kick off an all-out grass-roots effort today urging Congress to pass his $3.55 trillion budget, activating the extensive campaign apparatus he built during his successful 2008 candidacy for the first time since taking office.

The campaign, which will be run under the aegis of the Democratic National Committee, will rely heavily on the 13 million-strong e-mail list put together during the campaign and now under the control of Organizing for America (OFA), a group overseen by the DNC. Aides familiar with the plan said it is an unprecedented attempt to transfer the grass-roots energy built during the presidential campaign into an effort to sway Congress.

David Plouffe, who was Obama's campaign manager and is now an adviser to OFA, called this effort the "first major engagement" of the group in the legislative process and said in a statement that it will call on supporters "to help the President win the debate between those who marched in lockstep with the failed Bush economic policies and now have no new ideas versus the Obama agenda which will help us manage the short term economic crisis and puts us on the path to long term prosperity."

Plouffe, who passed up a formal role in the White House but remains a conduit to the army of Obama volunteers, sent an e-mail to the OFA mailing list over the weekend signaling the ramping up of the campaign for the president's budget. "In the next few weeks we'll be asking you to do some of the same things we asked of you during the campaign -- talking directly to people in your communities about the President's ideas for long-term prosperity," he wrote.

That push begins today with an e-mail asking volunteers to go door to door Saturday to urge their neighbors to sign a pledge in support of Obama's budget plan.

A new online tool, to be unveiled this week on the DNC/OFA Web site, will help constituents find their congressional representatives' contact information so they can call the lawmakers' offices to voice approval of the proposal. A midweek follow-up message to the mailing list will ask volunteers to call the Hill -- the first time the OFA e-mail database has been used to urge direct contact with Congress in support of legislation.

"Members are going to be surrounded by this, and this is going to carry on for the next several weeks on this budget fight," said one source familiar with the strategy.

Several people closely involved in this campaign's planning made it clear that they believe this is the moment Democrats have been waiting for since Obama's election -- the deployment of the volunteer army that helped catapult a freshman senator to the presidency.

When Obama announced the formation of Organizing for America via YouTube in January, he said the group "will build on the movement you started during the campaign" and added: "That's why I am asking people like you who fought for change during the campaign to continue fighting for change in your communities."

Obama's closest aides have been plotting for months when to make the move. Bringing Organizing for America under the umbrella of the DNC and installing a group of Obama loyalists -- including Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine as chairman and Jen O'Malley Dillon, a highly regarded campaign operative, as executive director -- were aimed at re-creating the disciplined organization of the campaign.

"This is exactly the scenario OFA was moved into the DNC for, to take on the toughest tasks, the most transformational moments," said one party source. "Remember, everything Obama wants to accomplish from a substantive perspective requires him to pass this budget as a down payment and to draw lines in the sand."

http://my.barackobama.com/page/commu...america/gGx5n3
Kappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #156
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
You are so weird

Yeah, that about sums it up
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: