Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Default Re: Melo's 50 Points vs Heat

Quote Originally Posted by Miserio
    Yes, LeBron with 18 shots per game and Carmelo with 24.8 that's like, a 34% more of shots and scoring the same amount of points. You have to understand this, the new fever about FG% has a reason. Being effective means scoring more points in less posesions which means having a BETTER CHANCE AT WINNING THE GAME.

Players like Carmelo who shot like crazy in the first 10 seconds of the shot clock doesn't understand this fact and at the end of the day are not too worried about improving or being a winner.
    Maybe you should read the stats more carefully. The shot disparity you noted was only for 5 playoff games.

The larger sample size, in 17 regular season games, Melo took 19.4 shots per game, LBJ took 20.2. In total, the shot gap is not nearly as large as you've suggested.

Don't start ranting about what people need to "understand", when you clearly don't see the big picture yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk
    If Melo did this at the Garden.. it would be rockingg
    Half of the heat stadium are knicks fans so it's close

Banned

Lebron averages 2 fouls a game against Carmelo. His career average? 1.9
    Well it did increase, so i was right. . .

But a very incomplete statistic, it only accounts for when he is matched up against him on the team sheet. Not the time spent guarding him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Maybe you should read the stats more carefully. The shot disparity you noted was only for 5 playoff games.

The larger sample size, in 17 regular season games, Melo took 19.4 shots per game, LBJ took 20.2. In total, the shot gap is not nearly as large as you've suggested.

Don't start ranting about what people need to "understand", when you clearly don't see the big picture yourself.
    We've been talking about the playoffs in these last posts. The only thing that matters, and the potential matchup between those two guys in the ECF. And if you want to see the big picture:

Carmelo averages 45% in regular season and 41% in the playoffs. Last playoffs he scored 27 points in 24 shot against the Heat. I can't believe how people can come and defend a guy who does that, is Iversonesque (even worse because A-I was a decent defender and gained a couple of possesions every game by stealing the ball). LeBron scored 30 on 21 and with good playmaking and trying to take the best possible shot.

My point, stats aside, is this. Carmelo is gonna score 50, 40, 30 once in a while as he always does. But when teams start playing serious defense, the dominant style of play that the Knicks have (which is, give the ball to carmelo and JR and watch em shoot at the first 10 seconds in the shot clock) is taking them nowhere.

I'm argentinian and I read an interview a magazine did to Pablo Prigioni, and he said: "I always tell Carmelo and JR 'let me handle the ball, let's move it a little bit more, if you guys start doing your ISO at like 18 seconds in the shot clock the defense is gonna be less focused, more tired and disperse and you're gonna have a better oportunity to score in that situation' but they don't listen, haha"
    Last edited by Miserio; 04-03-2013 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks
    Well it did increase, so i was right. . .

But a very incomplete statistic, it only accounts for when he is matched up against him on the team sheet. Not the time spent guarding him.
    When CLE played against DEN, LeBron guarded him most of the time.

My point, stats aside, is this. Carmelo is gonna score 50, 40, 30 once in a while as he always does. But when teams start playing serious defense, the dominant style of play that the Knicks have (which is, give the ball to carmelo and JR and watch em shoot at the first 10 seconds in the shot clock) is taking them nowhere.

I'm argentinian and I read an interview a magazine did to Pablo Prigioni, and he said: "I always tell Carmelo and JR 'let me handle the ball, let's move it a little bit more, if you guys start doing your ISO at like 18 seconds in the shot clock the defense is gonna be less focused, more tired and disperse and you're gonna have a better oportunity to score in that situation' but they don't listen, haha"
    We'll see what happens when the playoffs start. Your complaints about Melo's shot selection and the Knicks playoff style isn't nearly as clear-cut as you're making them out to be.

Last year, the Knicks didn't have a healthy squad and Melo going on a scoring binge was the only way the team had even a small chance at success. They've soundly beaten the Heat down twice this year. I would favor the Heat in a playoff meeting, but its not going to be as easy as you seem to think.

Prigioni is a very nice ROLE player for the Knicks. You'll pardon me if I give more weight to players who make more of a difference for the team, such as Melo and JR.

Why does every thread have to turn into a lebron vs x player thread... Most of the time it's not even lebron Stans that bring him up... This was Melos night enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Trentknicks
    Potentially but Lebron guarding Melo doesn't = less points for Melo = better for heat.

It means more fouls on Lebron and him having to sit for extended periods if he guards Melo for longer.

The Heat have an excellent safety net around Lebron (with Battier guarding the tougher defensive assignment for most of the game) which enables Lebron to conserve his energy for offense and stay out of foul trouble.
    LeBron guarded him quite a bit last year though. For the first few games Melo was shooting in the 30s while LeBron was on him, and LeBron was still able to get his.

That being said, this was by far one of the better looking 50 point games I've seen. He got nothing going to the basket, everything was a jumper, and he was on fire. Best way to see someone go off.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    If they met in Playoffs it would be more like 50% of the time with Lebron on him the other 50
    Why didn't it happen last years playoffs? Battier was on Melo like the whole game.

Why didn't it happen last years playoffs? Battier was on Melo like the whole game.
    Only way Lebron has ever caused Carmelo to struggle is what with a defensive strategy the heat must call extreme double team. Lebron fronts him the whole time, when he gets the ball they double.

Lebron's not a good man defender, great helper, but avg man.

Made that high school varsity squad Booz Vivic's Avatar

Melo's overrated. Jump shots don't get you anywhere unless it's a team effort (Dallas 2011)

Was an amazing performance.. Perfect shooting night and maybe the reason it isn't getting more attention is because Miami was missing 3 starters.. Sad as that is but maybe true.

Still was an unreal performance.. What made it great was no shot was inside 14 feet.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Whats the excuse going to be when they lose in the 1st round again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVz4Eu90-pU

No thread on this?

****ing haters.

One of the most impressive jump shooting performances in recent history. Kills the Heat every time they play, with or without LeBron. Can the playoffs come already?
    Wrong.

I usually hit open layups

50 point game and is diminished by some LeBron fans. Who the hell cares who is guarding him? Barrier played him how you are supposed to. Melo can dominate the low block so you rather him take jumpers.