Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Charles Barkley: "The Lakers are not contenders"

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

Default Re: Charles Barkley: "The Lakers are not contenders"

I don't think it's really that big of a flip-flop, I think a lot of people including myself expected them to be contenders (as in make it to the WC Finals), I don't think they can unless they play a lick of defense.

I thought he said the Lakers would win the West.

Charles doesn't really flip flop. He calls it like he sees it.

Banned

Magic flip flops, not Sir Charles.

But yeah he is right. They don't have anyone that can carry them to a title. Kobe can't carry him anymore and he doesn't have a big capable of carrying him anymore like in 4 of his 5 championships.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSeba5
    I thought he said the Lakers would win the West.
    He guaranteed it on national TV if I recall . I understand saying "my opinion has changed" if before you weren't so sure they would be in the finals but common dude.. 2 months later? This is why you wait 20-30+ games to form strong opinions about how good a team will or won't be. I remember night of the Dwight trade when people were talking dynasty I kept saying let them play first, see how they gel.

BTW he DID flip flop. He said finals and win west and now is saying "I never thought it would work".

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    He guaranteed it on national TV if I recall . I understand saying "my opinion has changed" if before you weren't so sure they would be in the finals but common dude.. 2 months later? This is why you wait 20-30+ games to form strong opinions about how good a team will or won't be. I remember night of the Dwight trade when people were talking dynasty I kept saying let them play first, see how they gel.
    Yes I remember. The Laker fans jumped on us Heat fans saying "we scared" and so on.

Yes I remember. The Laker fans jumped on us Heat fans saying "we scared" and so on.
    I thought they had a great shot at the finals too but I would have never argued as if it was a guarantee. Gotta prove it on the court first. I along with many others brought up 04 Lakers and that team actually was better than this one so far.

People try to compare to the Heat but it's not comparable. Heat had 3 stars (2 superstars) all in their prime who were good friends and WANTED to play together. They weren't older and thrown together randomly like the Lakers. It was their choice and to top it off Miami got a ton of solid role players at discount prices with a bunch of players jumping on board.

I thought they had a great shot at the finals too but I would have never argued as if it was a guarantee. Gotta prove it on the court first.
    Agreed. That's what I said when the Big 3 came together, and that's what I said to Laker fans.

NBA Superstar

can't argue with Charles about being slow and unathletic but i think they can improve a lot more than now with more play time together. if they're still like this after a few weeks then probably...

Agreed. That's what I said when the Big 3 came together, and that's what I said to Laker fans.
    A better question is why did so many vets and role players rush to play with Lebron, Wade and Bosh but not with this Lakers team? I mean Jamison took a huge paycut but outside of him nobody reacted the same way they did to Miami. I think it probably has to do with the attitude of Dwight+Kobe and the age of the team honestly.

A better question is why did so many vets and role players rush to play with Lebron, Wade and Bosh but not with this Lakers team? I mean Jamison took a huge paycut but outside of him nobody reacted the same way they did to Miami. I think it probably has to do with the attitude of Dwight+Kobe and the age of the team honestly.
    That and the Heat organization. We're not as successful as the LA franchise, but the Heat have always had a defensive philosophy and a family atmosphere among the players. Players really respect the Heat organization. I think they have a good reputation with Pat Riley.

Also, Riley promises a more long term "dynasty" than the Lakers. The LA team that formed together was more of a short term win now move, and that may turn players off.

NBA lottery pick Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar