Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default One thing I notice about Shaq and Wilt's dunks:

Working on a Wilt dunk mix and watched the Shaq legacy video again and I noticed both of those guys rarely ever had legitimately contested dunks. The overwhelming majority of their dunks the defenders look afraid to even touch them. Not finished with the Wilt vid yet but check a few minutes of some of these Shaq dunks:

https://youtu.be/yoYVko6PTvo?t=45m59s

Does anyone look at defense like that and think it is weak? If so, let's say you were a defender, you've got to play for 30+ minutes against those 300and 350lb giants, what are you supposed to do get in front of their body and put your hands between them and the rim? It seems to be rare that anyone even tries to stop Shaq or Wilt's dunks. I personally think it speaks volumes of their physical presence. People look afraid of them.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: One thing I notice about Shaq and Wilt's dunks:

Not contesting Shaq dunking isn't weak. It's smart way to not:
    1. get in foul trouble
    2. potentially award him an extra point
    3. end up on a poster
    4. hurt yourself

Very good NBA starter

Please dont group that peasant with Shaq.... ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine80s
    Please dont group that peasant with Shaq.... ever again.
    The two most physically dominant players ever. It's quite a common and logical comparison, get used to it.

Can't speak on Wilt, but contesting a Shaq dunk is having a death wish.

Alonzo Mourning might be the only guy to contest everything around the rim, but I think he even hesitated on half of those dunks by Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    Not contesting Shaq dunking isn't weak. It's smart way to not:
    1. get in foul trouble
    2. potentially award him an extra point
    3. end up on a poster
    4. hurt yourself
    I agree. Minus the 3rd, would you feel the same applies to Wilt?

I'm almost finished with his own dunk mix, and the way the defenders look afraid to get between him and the rim is almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    The two most physically dominant players ever. It's quite a common and logical comparison, get used to it.

NBA lottery pick

Contesting a prime Shaq dunk isn't the smart basketball move. You're not stopping the dunk. At best, you're going to foul him. At worst, you end up with a minor injury.

NBA Superstar

I agree. Minus the 3rd, would you feel the same applies to Wilt?

I'm almost finished with his own dunk mix, and the way the defenders look afraid to get between him and the rim is almost identical.
    I never watched Wilt so I can't say. I know he was probably smoother and more athletic than Shaq overall, but did he have the same voraciousness under the rim? Shaq wanted to hurt people at times it seemed.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    I never watched Wilt so I can't say. I know he was probably smoother and more athletic than Shaq overall, but did he have the same voraciousness under the rim? Shaq wanted to hurt people at times it seemed.
    I suppose you'll have to wait and see the dunk mix coming up - I'll re-bump this thread once it's uploaded and you and everyone can see and compare the dunks with the collective memory and clips of Shaq's dunks.

In isolation Wilt did not dislodge and elbow people like Shaq. The aggressive bump and back down tactics. But that stuff happens before any dunking anyways, and that's only a fraction of dunks someone like Shaq or Wilt would potentially get in a game a lot more of them are off offensive rebounds, quick spins, some less physical drop steps and backdoor/p&r/g&g type plays too.

As far as already having the ball their hands, when deep, the defenses look like the react the same with both guys. 1 in 10 are contested, usually with impunity, the other 9 times people looked too scared to touch them. And this looks largely the same between both of them in my eyes though you guys can evaluate for yourselves once I put the footage up.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 07-14-2015 at 05:40 PM.

What about that time Shaq got repeatedly blocked by rookie Yao or that time Ben Wallace tricep extended Shaq's dunk right back down on him?

But you're right most of the time guys avoided it because Shaq was so good at finishing with contact that fouling him without giving away an and1 or a flagrant was hard.

Working on a Wilt dunk mix and watched the Shaq legacy video again and I noticed both of those guys rarely ever had legitimately contested dunks. The overwhelming majority of their dunks the defenders look afraid to even touch them. Not finished with the Wilt vid yet but check a few minutes of some of these Shaq dunks:

https://youtu.be/yoYVko6PTvo?t=45m59s

Does anyone look at defense like that and think it is weak? If so, let's say you were a defender, you've got to play for 30+ minutes against those 300and 350lb giants, what are you supposed to do get in front of their body and put your hands between them and the rim? It seems to be rare that anyone even tries to stop Shaq or Wilt's dunks. I personally think it speaks volumes of their physical presence. People look afraid of them.
    Please don't ever compare Wilt to the greatest peak player of all time. One man pulled down the entire foundation of the hoop, the other man has only tall tales of his inferior strength relative to Shaq.

"But.. but.. but.. Arnold said...."

No one cares. Wilt never destroyed the foundation of the hoop. Evidence that he had inferior strength and explosiveness.

Love Live Life

I like Wilt even though I only seen a few clips of him. From what I've seen though it doesn't look like he dunks with the force as Shaq did.

Shaq looked like he was trying to break the rim every time he dunk. Wilt look a little more finesse to me.

I think most people thought it was a lost cause to contest these guys' dunks. Probably knew they couldn't block it and would just get hurt or foul them like the other posters stated.

Decent college freshman

Wilt was not as powerful as Shaq.

He didn't go through defneders, rather he went over and above them.

Wilt never destroyed the foundation of the hoop.

His dunks were inferior with much less strength and explosiveness because he just wasn't as explosive or strong.

It really does come down to that and LAZURUS knows it.