Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-20-2007, 06:54 PM   #46
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board
Default Re: What if Kobe break Jordan's 63 Point performance in the Playoffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki
You're not suggesting that high scoring (45+) games were more common then than now, right?

LOL @ "not especially hard." Yeah, it's the easiest record ever set.

No, I'm saying that an offensive player of Jordan's calibur who had the opportunity could reach such numbers without an undue amount of difficulty.

Lol, Loki, you know for a fact that I don't think such games were more common back then. In fact, I told you that directly either yesterday or the day before. You couldn't have possibly forgotten that quickly...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #47
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
He only went up against a top 10 all-time perimeter defender, the best team defense in the league, and two shotblockers inside.

And we gave up 104 points a game due to the pace at which that era of basketball was played. Think a high-flying player like Jordan had difficulty taking advantage of the pace?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #48
Loki
Banned

Loki is considered somewhat coolLoki is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
No, I'm saying that an offensive player of Jordan's calibur who had the opportunity could reach such numbers without an undue amount of difficulty.

Lol, Loki, you know for a fact that I don't think such games were more common back then. In fact, I told you that directly either yesterday or the day before. You couldn't have possibly forgotten that quickly...

Yes, but the problem is that you paradoxically believe that they were both less common and easier to get. I know why and how you can hold those seemingly contradictory beliefs, I just don't agree with it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #49
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

If Kobe ever does it, it wont be against the Suns. Phil doesn't want to play that style against the Suns and it doesn't work. Now maybe if they fall back by 20 or something, Phil will let him loose. But other than that, I don't see Kobe putting that many shots because he knows it doesn't work against them
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #50
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Yes, but the problem is that you paradoxically believe that they were both less common and easier to get. I know why and how you can hold those seemingly contradictory beliefs, I just don't agree with it.

It's not a paradox if you properly understand the complexities of the issue.

Again, I think that it was easier for players, who had the talent to put up big numbers, to actually do so with less effort when those opportunities arose. The main reason that such numbers were rare is that most teams were balanced and didn't rely on their main scorers to put up a lot of individual points. Defense during that era had little to do with huge point totals being rare. As a result, a player like Jordan, who had the talent and opportunities to score big, was able to take advantage of the fact that the average NBA team gave up 110 points and that the pace of the NBA game was favorable to his style of play, even the pace of elite teams in the league.

When I speak of difficulty, I'm saying that given the opportunity, a talented player in the 80s would find it easier to get his points.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:36 PM   #51
Top_Of_Tha_World
High School Varsity 12th Man

Top_Of_Tha_World has an OK reputation so far

If he breaks it he probably took practically every shot for the Lakers. Which he already does.........O well. Anythings possible and if anyones gonna do it, it mine as well be him.
Top_Of_Tha_World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #52
Soundwave
College superstar

Soundwave is considered somewhat coolSoundwave is considered somewhat cool

Kobe needs to get over this stuff .... he's a 28/29 now, not a kid anymore.

The Jordan thing was impressive because it was in his younger days when he was a hot-shot/one man wrecking crew ... as you get later on in your career it's all about winning in the playoffs.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #53
DLeagueWannabe
a softer side

DLeagueWannabe has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave
Kobe needs to get over this stuff .... he's a 28/29 now, not a kid anymore.

The Jordan thing was impressive because it was in his younger days when he was a hot-shot/one man wrecking crew ... as you get later on in your career it's all about winning in the playoffs.

get over what?
DLeagueWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:39 PM   #54
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far

Kobe won't do it against the Suns. That would be playing the running game, which is exactly what the Suns want them to do. When Jordan scored his 63, they still lost. A 60+ point performance does not guarantee you a win.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 AM   #55
RonFaarooqSimmon
Can barely lace up my sneakers

RonFaarooqSimmon has an OK reputation so far

damn
RonFaarooqSimmon is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: