Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Default Re: If someone told you their favorite movie was "____________" you'd know you hate t

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    I'm annoyed by people who absolutely hate and love lost in translation.
    I would never call it a bad movie, because its not. But I'm not gonna lie, it bored me to tears and I have no desire of watching it again. There are plenty of people who genuinely love the movie and thats all well and good. Yet there are also a good deal of posers who like it just so that they can come across as "artistic."

Also, I didn't like the way it depicted the Japanese. I wouldnt go so far as to call it racist, but it definitely bothered me.

Blu Ray

Default Re: If someone told you their favorite movie was "____________" you'd know you hate them

I'm quite the opposite. It's a character study. I can't think of films more interesting than character studies. I live for them.

Default Re: If someone told you their favorite movie was "____________" you'd know you hate them

Yea lost in translation is a big target for people trying to act like they have taste. But at the same time its not bad, and people who hate it usually don't like good movies either. It's a very troublesome movie for me haha.

My Name Is My Name MarloStanfield's Avatar

Default Re: If someone told you their favorite movie was "____________" you'd know you hate t

Not sure why everyone is so hung up on Lost in Translation. I hang out with a lot of people who are really into film i.e. film makers, film students, etc and i rarely hear lost in translation being discussed. There are far more abstract titles that can be considered pretentious. ISH loves to discuss this movie for some reason

Quote Originally Posted by MarloStanfield
    Not sure why everyone is so hung up on Lost in Translation. I hang out with a lot of people who are really into film i.e. film makers, film students, etc and i rarely hear lost in translation being discussed. There are far more abstract titles that can be considered pretentious. ISH loves to discuss this movie for some reason
    I think its just one of the more famous movies that the average person considers "indie" or "artistic". It helped launch scarlett's career, so maybe that has something to do with it.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

I just had high hopes for Bill Murray 'specially since I saw his Space Jam cameo the night befo', and it wazn't what I expected. The mid-90s percentage on RT didn't reduce the hype eitha.

Not in the good way, unfortunately. Still charming, quirky, and I dug the dialogue and kerater development, but I was hoping for something else.

To be frank, I can't see how anyone can deem LiT their clear consensus fav. It juss don't make sense.

a lot of people felt that lost in translation reached a new level of intimacy, depth and subtlety of drama.
    i do see why people consider it pretentious, it is very moody and there is essentially no story, but that is what allows the film to slow down and explore the characters and settings. another reason people dislike it is because it is about upper middle class people and their personal issues and they cannot relate/feel empathy for the two characters because of this.

it is held as one of the great films of recent times and is a land mark film. this is not opinion. it is that way.

it is also one of my favorite films of all time.

note how i stop short of saying it is one of the greatest films of all time? imo it is, but i would never claim this as fact as it is certainly highly debatable.

Banned

Last edited by Goon Time; 05-20-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Finding Nemo or most of the other retarded talking animal movies
    Chick flicks and Musicals if you're a guy

I thought Lost in Translation was a total piece of shyt.

And ukplayer just confirmed this. He is the worst poster on film on this site bar none.

I thought Lost in Translation was highly overrated, but I wouldn't call it a pile of steaming sh!t. Yeah, the point of the movie seemed to be to bore the audience, and sure, it's not profound, deep, nor groundbreaking, but it wasn't that bad.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Tarik One
    Menace to Society

John Q - Amazing how many ppl think that this film was a work of art
    If you like being hit over the head with a sledgehammer... Well, John Q is the movie for you.

NBA sixth man of the year

Grease
    Ghost
    Dirty Dancing
    Boondock Saints
    Bad Boys II
    Pretty much any movie made before the 30's or 40's
    Big Daddy/The Benchwarmers
    Anything with Rob Schider or Pauly Shore

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I thought Lost in Translation was a total piece of shyt.

And ukplayer just confirmed this. He is the worst poster on film on this site bar none.

thats interesting seeing as how among the people on this board who know about film respect my opinion highly, even thoe i have had big disagreements with several of them in the past. lost in translation is considered a great film by the film world, nataurally a waste of of sperm like you doesnt understand it, that just stands to reason. uncultured people need to attack people with superiour appreciation to try and feel less pitiful cause theyre taste is shameful and they know it. i explained objectively about lost in translation and also stated my personal stand point. i respect jackass taste and his reasoning not to like it. you are just an idiot who no one respects.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by vapid
    I'm annoyed by people who absolutely hate and love lost in translation.
    having spent a lot of time as a whitey in Asia I find Lost in Translation (I've watched it twice) to be quite, meh.

Bill Murray has been fabulous in movies as a morbid middle aged man(Lost in Translation, Rushmore etc...) and Scarlett is easy on the eyes while doing her moody bit admirably, but outside of that the movie lacks substantive depth.

When I watch it, all I could think about was that the writer/director never spent a lot of time in Asia and their observations are very simple, basic and irrelevant to anyone who has spent time there. Maybe that was the angle because Bill and Scarlett were noobs, but to me it could have been done so much better.