Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

Default Re: Spiders/Arachnid Unappreciation Thread

This dancer spider is beautifull.

Here a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GgAbyYDFeg
    Last edited by TaLvsCuaL; 12-20-2012 at 07:52 AM.

1:10 AM and killing a bunch of em... I'm too tired for this shit.

   

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    For some reason my mom is scared of cats and dogs but she thinks spiders are no problemo.
    they aren't. spiders get no benefit from biting humans, and their mouthparts aren't even designed for that anyway.

i read an article the other day that stated that out of all patients who seek medical attention for spider bites, only 4% or so actually had spider bites. of that 4%, most were due to a human initiating the contact and the spider trying to defend itself.

there's also the fact that very few spiders have venom that threatens us, anyway.

spiders do nothing but help us 99.9% of the time and yet we seem to want to kill them upon sight. who's the villain, here...?

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    they aren't. spiders get no benefit from biting humans, and their mouthparts aren't even designed for that anyway.

i read an article the other day that stated that out of all patients who seek medical attention for spider bites, only 4% or so actually had spider bites. of that 4%, most were due to a human initiating the contact and the spider trying to defend itself.

there's also the fact that very few spiders have venom that threatens us, anyway.

spiders do nothing but help us 99.9% of the time and yet we seem to want to kill them upon sight. who's the villain, here...?
    most people get scared when they see a spider, there must be a reason for this.......

   

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    most people get scared when they see a spider, there must be a reason for this.......
    a reason such as, humans are prey to many shared irrational phobias?

if so, then yes... i agree.

perhaps there once were giant spiders walking the earth, dangerous to humans.........and the fear is still nested in the human brain ?

   

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker
    perhaps there once were giant spiders walking the earth, dangerous to humans.........and the fear is still nested in the human brain ?
    arthropods have built-in size limits due to having a skeleton on the outside. the largest they can get on land is... i don

[QUOTE=gigantes]arthropods have built-in size limits due to having a skeleton on the outside. the largest they can get on land is... i don

   

[QUOTE=tomtucker]yes......strange, when i see a big spider i get a rush of fear though me, happens automatically....no way to control the initial shock.........then the fear vanishes after a few seconds...........when i realize it

Home of the 16

Batz, are you dead?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Went camping with friends over the weekend. It was this tiny, not really out of a city camping that they set up, but we found a nest of black widows in the port-o-potties that were 20 feet from our tents. Luckily, nobody got bit even though we had the occasional black widow visit our campfire (and 1 wolf spider), and 2 visit one of our tents. A couple of the girls slept in their car. F*ck black widows.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Went camping with friends over the weekend. It was this tiny, not really out of a city camping that they set up, but we found a nest of black widows in the port-o-potties that were 20 feet from our tents. Luckily, nobody got bit even though we had the occasional black widow visit our campfire (and 1 wolf spider), and 2 visit one of our tents. A couple of the girls slept in their car. F*ck black widows.
    Not going camping ever kay whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    oh shit...........guess that is the price you have to pay for great nature experiences !? where was this, if i may ask

Fear of spiders and snakes is psychologically innate I'd guess. Instincts tell us to avoid venomous creatures.

Plus, when you add in the fact that they move in manners considered strange (spiders and their 8 legged crawl, snakes slither), and its not hard to see why most ppl are unnerved by them.

My personal fear are american cockroaches (some ppl call them waterbugs) though. Funny enough I'm not bothered by the regular small roaches (germans)...just the giant american ones. I will never forgive the powers-that-be for granting these abominations with the ability to fly...

I've always found it odd that I'm phobic to a specific species of insect...