Page 30 of 130 FirstFirst ... 20272829303132334080 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2012/13 Observation Deck

Love conference play for the nights like this where there's multiple good games on the tv (Minny/Illinois and NM/UNLV). Now I just gotta remember to record them before I go to the movies. lol

Still think UNLV is the best mid-major shot at making the final four this side of Gonzaga, but they aren't very consistent right now. Losing another game at home, albeit to a good team, won't look good and might make me think their recent losses are more than blips on the radar. I'm really interested in seeing how the eventual return of Moser helps their team. Their starting lineup is pretty stacked as far as mid-majors go when fully healthy. This is more about mental toughness and offensive/defensive smarts. Not sure if they have that part down. Whereas I think Gonzaga has the smarts and talent, but maybe they lack the defensive toughness that they always seem to lack.

On that note, come tourny time I feel like UNLV has a better chance of being upset early (assuming they play into a high'ish seed), but also can hang with the best and most efficient scoring teams due to matchups...whereas I don't think Gonzaga has as good of a chance of being upset, but once they finally meet one of those top teams, they will be outscored like we've seen before.

Rooting for the Illini tonight btw....no offense, but I think Minny is the better team so hopefully they add an L to their conference mark tonight. If Minny wins tonight I think they will have had a good night shooting three's. If Illinois wins, I think they will have a good night at the FT line....just random predictions. lol

Wow, McClemore just went off the glass for 3 with 1 second left. OT in Lawrence?

That kid is going to be a terrific pro. Not based off that shot, just random.

Yeah, Kansas was a last second banked in three from losing at home to Iowa State. Now they score the first 11 points in OT and are cruising to an easy win.

MSU needs to win road games against all of the teams outside of four. They can't really afford to have more than one home loss if any. 4-5 conference losses may win or tie for the regular season title. 6 isn't gonna do it. I don't think MSU has the ability to NOT lose enough road games against the top teams to win the title, but if they want to have a chance, they need to win games like tonight @ Iowa. A good team who might sneak into the tournament, but you gotta pile up your conference losses @ Indiana, @ Michigan, @ maybe Wisconsin and of course they've already lost @ Minny. Luckily they don't play @ Illinois this season. If they win tonight, the only kinda tough road game they play is @ Purdue outside of the really good teams. Those two are really big.

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Pitt loses to Rutgers and then absolutely slaughter G-Town? At least it could be one decent looking win on our resume as long as G-Town doesn't have an awful Big East season.
    Georgetown is gonna get smashed on in CT believvveeee dat

Legend

26-22 Iowa right now...and I'm almost done watching cause this damn feed is horrible......

At home against Miami without Reggie Johnson, and what does UNC do? Get outscored 36-28 in the second half and lose. Just another game where UNC's piss poor 3P defense kept a team in the game and ultimately let them pull-away. First time Miami has beat UNC since 2006.

This season may be worse than 2010 and I thought no way in hell that was possible a few weeks ago. I'm not even sure UNC is an NIT team right now.

And f**k it...coach K is 100 times the coach Roy Williams is. Roy's recruiting has gone to pot and he's proving he's a below average coach without elite talent. Of course, this team and Roy would probably look a lot better right now if Kendall Marshall hadn't unexpectedly gone pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    26-22 Iowa right now...and I'm almost done watching cause this damn feed is horrible......
    I'd trade places with Michigan State (team and coach) in a heartbeat right now. UNC is NIT bound for the second time in four years.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I'd trade places with Michigan State (team and coach) in a heartbeat right now. UNC is NIT bound for the second time in four years.
    I had somewhat of a similar thought a few minutes ago. For all that I have found to be frustrated with this year, MSU is still 13-3 on the season. I really can't complain when seasons that have been a struggle still result in good records and surefire tournament appearances. lol

Big road win tonight. Should come out of the weekend with a 14-3 (3-1) mark on the season (home against Nebraska on Sunday). I really wish this team could help themselves and make three pointers though....they will lose in the NCAA tournament more because of this than turnovers or anything else. You can't make a comeback or put a team away when you miss good three point attempts over and over.

NIT bound? I'm not sure this team will meet the requirements for that.

I think there is some talent on this team. The problem is that the talent doesn't fit what this particular team needs.

Preferably this team would have a star.

Three best contenders:
    McAdoo - Severely lacking polish and skill.
    Bullock - Really, really, solid player. I think he will be a good pro. But he's nothing more than a very good role player. 3rd option on a good team.
    PJ - Too inconsistent all the way around.

Preferably this team would have a a low post scorer; a necessity for any Roy Williams teams.

Two best contenders (because there's not even three players good enough):
    McAdoo - Wants to face up and, again, lacks the polish.
    Johnson - Horrible defensively. Lack strength causes some problems on offense as well. Although his defensive problems go well beyond his lack of strength.

Preferably this team would have a steady, if not spectacular, point guard. Another necessity for any Roy Williams team.

Two best contenders:
    Paige - I actually think he's improving. He's just not where the team needs him to be. Too much for him to shoulder as a true freshman. Kendall really ****ed us here.
    Strickland - Not a point guard. He's a better point guard than shooting guard... That doesn't say much.

And lastly, preferably this team would have a steady presence or two because of how much youth there is.

There is Bullock and only Bullock bringing this. He did disappear in the second half, but that is because Larranaga schemed such at halftime. Bullock adjusted and made terrific passes to his open teammates who then missed open shots. Because he's the only consistent player on the team...

Next year's recruiting class won't fix these problems. Maybe 2014 will, but by then I'd hope the two years of experience would develop into something. Although who knows? That 2009 class is really kicking this program in the balls right now. You have Henson, two transfers, a 7th man who disappears against good competition, and a glorified role player. Followed that up with two two and done players plus Bullock and you have two recruiting classes with two legit starters by the time they are juniors and seniors.
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 01-10-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Kentucky sure looks like an NIT team they are supposed to be, Vandy aint even gonna make NIT this year.

There's a dook-UNC balancing theory that is purely in the minds of the fans, yet has held true. Basically one program never gets too far ahead of the other.

They own the early 90s with back-to-back championships, then UNC gets theirs with the legitimate chance of repeating in 1994 if not for chemistry issues. I mean what was it, 4 of 5 starters back from a championship team while bringing in, unequivocally, the best recruiting class in the nation?

They gets theirs in the early turn of the century while UNC is at literally, the lowest the program has ever been. Then Ray and company answer back, UNC is back on top of college basketball while dook is reeling off first weekend exits in the NCAA Tournament.

UNC clearly back on top of college basketball for the past few years while K looks like he should retire and then he wins a championship while UNC is back in the NIT.

Then UNC becomes a title contender again while K's squad is losing in the first round.

Now UNC is maybe NIT good. And by maybe, I mean NIT as the best case. dook is back at #1.

I'm just waiting for things to tip back on our side of the scale.

JMM is trying so hard to drop out of the lottery. Should have left last year as 3-6 projected pick.

Well UNC's failure in 09-10 and this season was unavoidable when Ed Davis and Mcdoo was/is their best player on the team.