Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Anyone else on here introverted?

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    Everybody says something stupid. You'll say something dumb she'll say something dumb.. Don't worry about it.

Is there a certain girl you'd like to ask? Is that what's causing all the trepidation?
    I'm nowhere near as witty or sharp as I was five years ago and it hasn't affected my social life one bit.

Back when I was a teen I was one of those dudes who can come up with the most outrageous clever stuff on the fly.. a pun, a reference, a rant, a story you name it. Now I just talk like a normal boring ass adult with a splash of charm here and there and it achieves the same exact result. Good times.

Make no mistake about it as dudes.. whenever we hear a riposte or a solid dialogue exchange in a film or a damn good comeback or a solid aphorism chock full of meaning; a light bulb goes off and RINGS "DING DING DING HIGH QUALITY".. but that stuff don't play out in real life. We're far more interested in actions and feelings it seems.

I'd imagine the people freaking about if they say something stupid have literally no reference as to how utterly uncaring most people are towards others. At worst they'd call you an idiot. So what? We all are. But a name is just a name like a rose is a rose and a crane beats a GoRapz.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    I'm nowhere near as witty or sharp as I was five years ago and it hasn't affected my social life one bit.

Back when I was a teen I was one of those dudes who can come up with the most outrageous clever stuff on the fly.. a pun, a reference, a rant, a story you name it. Now I just talk like a normal boring ass adult with a splash of charm here and there and it achieves the same exact result. Good times.

Make no mistake about it as dudes.. whenever we hear a riposte or a solid dialogue exchange in a film or a damn good comeback or a solid aphorism chock full of meaning; a light bulb goes off and RINGS "DING DING DING HIGH QUALITY".. but that stuff don't play out in real life. We're far more interested in actions and feelings it seems.

I'd imagine the people freaking about if they say something stupid have literally no reference as to how utterly uncaring most people are towards others. At worst they'd call you an idiot. So what? We all are. But a name is just a name like a rose is a rose and a crane beats a GoRapz.
    I think the biggest false assumption we make is when we go into an uncomfortable situation we assume the other person or persons are at ease and feeling comfortable, when the truth is they're just as nervous as you are.

It's been a while since I was around here but if you remember I'm a driver coach, I used to hate getting up in front of a group till it dawned on me one morning, shit these people are about to climb into a racecar for their first time they're scared shitless, I've got the easy part

I'm a super extrovert

I can't be alone. When I'm home alone and no one to chill with, I walk around my neighborhood and force convos with strangers. Picked up quite a few cuties with this extroversion "problem".

I almost always go to the bball court to talk with my friends there even when I don't plan to play though most times, I get peer pressured to even if I'm wearing flip flops.

Anyways, I use to be a big introvert because I was a socially retarded narcissist. I broke outta my shell when I lost weight and got a lot of unexpected attention.

You should force yourself out of your comfort zones and experience whatever it is you want to experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    Homecoming is coming up soon for me and I already know it's going to be exactly like last year: me sitting at home and watching anime. Not necessarily a bad thing since I hate crowds of people, but I always feel bad about it. Like "oh i should have went" or something like that. I'm always thinking of girls I wanna ask out, but I know I never will because it's so hard for me to get out of my comfort zone. I'm not really socially awkward just terrible at interacting with people I don't know.

Anyways I'm just one of those people who prefer to just be alone. Social interaction tires my body out completely. It was really bad how much I stayed in the house over the summer since I got out of shape for the season and now I'm paying for it. To give you an estimate I don't think I even had 2k posts before this Summer started. Everytime someone wanted to hang out I made excuses. I may sound like a complete loser here, but I'm just really bad at interacting outside of my circle of friends. Unless we're talking about the NBA or something.

Sorry ISH had to get that off my chest. I want to here more about you guys though, so /discuss
    For my high school graduation, way back when, I opted to ditch the graduation ceremony and go party with a case of beer I convinced my uncle to buy me. I found a friend or two who wanted to join me, had my diploma sent to me in the mail. I regret nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    The thing to remember is girls love to talk. Too damn much. But in your case use that to your advantage. The less you say the better.

Just react with as few words as possible. Don't try to be cool or funny, just react lol. If she asks how your day is going, say "pretty good, how bout yours". If she asks if you're excited for Homecoming, say "eh maybe a little, how bout you?". Shit if she even asks what your favorite food is say "I'll eat just about anything, how bout you?"

Let her do the majority of the talking and just react when you see a window
    the girl i like is someone that probably wouldn't go to homecoming, so where should i ask her to go?
    also forgot about the issue of her being white too.

shhhhhhh

the girl i like is someone that probably wouldn't go to homecoming, so where should i ask her to go?
    Is there a homecoming game before the homecoming dance?

Banned

Does it matter? Are her folks racist?

Local High School Star SpurrDurr's Avatar

I think you could find some sort of girl thru social media channels, that will change everything in your life.

It will boost your confidence, push you out of your comfort zone and eventually it ll make easier talking to other girls.

Nonetheless while you are in a relationship other girls value you more and try to hit on you harder.

Just don't be picky for your 1st girl and try to drop a bit your anime fixation, it's weird tbh.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

I used to be extremely introverted, I've become a little more extroverted in the last couple of years, but I still consider myself introverted.

I'm the type of guy that can be at a crazy party & enjoy myself then be completely alone the next day and not be bored.

I'm definitely an introvert too. I like spending time with my close friends, but going to parties with lots of new people around isn't an easy and normal thing for me to do. I don't being in my own company though, and I enjoy the simple things in life too like playing video games, watching TV, playing sport etc which helps me get over any initial annoyance at myself for passing up on a few things.

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

Homecoming is coming up soon for me and I already know it's going to be exactly like last year: me sitting at home and watching anime. Not necessarily a bad thing since I hate crowds of people, but I always feel bad about it. Like "oh i should have went" or something like that. I'm always thinking of girls I wanna ask out, but I know I never will because it's so hard for me to get out of my comfort zone. I'm not really socially awkward just terrible at interacting with people I don't know.

Anyways I'm just one of those people who prefer to just be alone. Social interaction tires my body out completely. It was really bad how much I stayed in the house over the summer since I got out of shape for the season and now I'm paying for it. To give you an estimate I don't think I even had 2k posts before this Summer started. Everytime someone wanted to hang out I made excuses. I may sound like a complete loser here, but I'm just really bad at interacting outside of my circle of friends. Unless we're talking about the NBA or something.

Sorry ISH had to get that off my chest. I want to here more about you guys though, so /discuss
    There's a difference between introvert and just socially inept. You don't want to be the latter, and although it may take you out of your comfort zone you need to make a bit of an effort. You can't expect people and friendships to just come to you. I understand that you value your alone time, I am much the same, but you don't want to completely cut yourself off. That's gonna set you up for a lot of difficulty in your life. You've gotta to at least be able to function socially.

This is one of the few great parts about anonymity and the Internet. Obviously these feelings are something OP would have a tough time discussing openly with a group of people in real life, and yet he's able to come here and get this off his back, get some advice (good and bad), and understand that others have had similar experiences. All basically without fear.

Best of luck to ya kid.
    Last edited by johndeeregreen; 08-29-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Talking to girls is hard.
    How else are you going to learn? Trial and error. Practice.

Put yourself out there, start to gain more confidence. If you think reading people's posts will work and happen over night? You're fooling yourself. You're not going to spew what B Low typed out tomorrow and wallah talkin to girls is easy now. It doesn't work that way especially for someone like you.

Takes time. Not a day not a week not a month.

Go to homecoming. You're anime smut stash won't disappear

Quote Originally Posted by B-Low
    I'm the exact opposite. I'm a complete extrovert. I lose my mind when I'm just sitting at home alone or not talking to anyone. Honestly I think it's because I'm a severe overthinker. When I'm alone I spend way too much time thinking, and all kinds of shit runs thru my head. Stress about work, life, etc. I like to keep myself distracted by interacting with other people. There was a thread about texting a few months ago and like I said there's months where I send 10,000-12,000 texts. I dunno I just love social interaction.

The only time where I 100% prefer to be alone is when I work out. I don't do gyms, don't do group workouts, don't exercise with friends. That's my "me" time. Everything else I prefer to be around groups of people
    Sounds like you're an introvert that's saturating his brain with so much crap in order to avoid confronting your own thoughts. Basically, a moron.

Only people that have something to hide from themselves can't handle being alone.

@OP - You can be introverted and not socially awkward: simply think about how you should act, what the best ways to come across are, what girls find attractive etc. Then have a couple drinks to calm the nerves and do it again and again until it's second nature. Many of the people you think are impressive socially are heavily insecure and vain, in fact, at your age they probably all are.

High School Varsity 6th Man treadster's Avatar

I'm an introvert. While i like to talk to my friend and making friends from total strangers, i usually enjoy just being alone playing games, watching TV and reading some good book.

High School Varsity 6th Man treadster's Avatar

Talking to girls is hard.
    Not really, just act like yourself. If you try to act cool you probably make a fool out of yourself.