Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blu Ray

Default Re: Which Pink Floyd album I should get next?

Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    lol, having not even listened to every studio album yet, somehow i don't think i'm quite there yet.
    And here I thought you were somehow my LZ/PF equal/rival. Pffffft.

Quote Originally Posted by knobs
    potshot wasn't intended to offend - apologies. twas a poor assumption on my part, based on your opinion of 'kid a'. although i'm surprised you hate 'kid a' as much as you do then, because while not identical, both it and 'amnesiac' are pretty similar.

but really...

did you read my post? i acknowledged that throughout, notably here:

my point is that, if 'the final cut' consisted of only (or even primarily) "B-Sides and left over junk" from 'the wall', then how do you explain the overtly political themes and reference that run through all of the lyrics ('maggie, what have you done?'), none of which make much of an appearance on 'the wall'? i think its pretty clear that even if the music was leftover, which as we agree much of it was, the lyrics were in all likelihood rewritten/altered by waters to create more of a cohesive (and political) record. hence why i said the lyrical style that waters used in 'the final cut', at least in terms of rhythm, was different from 'the wall'. and from what i remember, that trend was accentuated in 'hitchhiking'.
    Well they did actually produce the album a few years later. It's not like they just took the tracks laid down during wall session and put them together as the Final Cut. Parts were re-recorded, a few re-writes, but it was still composed and conceptualized during the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by pete's montreux
    And here I thought you were somehow my LZ/PF equal/rival. Pffffft.
    That would be me; I have everything. Every studio album every soundtrack, every box, everything, and I got it all in hard copy in the 90s. Was a nut in my teen years.

Blu Ray

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    That would be me; I have everything. Every studio album every soundtrack, every box, everything, and I got it all in hard copy in the 90s. Was a nut in my teen years.
    Ah. I have it all as well but in digital. I truly plan on buying everything in the future. I envision a library/music/movie room complete with vintage framed movie posters. It will be sick.
    Last edited by pete's montreux; 04-23-2010 at 12:49 PM.

Yeah, I have all the posters framed too. Various memorabilia like a Wish You Were Here block of vinyl that hadn't been pressed yet, t-shirts, and other crap. Since then I've ripped everything and downloaded all the shit that was never released. Sometimes I miss my solid two rows of floyd discs on my rack, but damn, I got sick of moving that shit every two years.

   

Last edited by gigantes; 05-12-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    I have DSOTM, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Obviously I am lacking in anything with Syd Barrett, but I don't know which earlier album to pick up??
    Avoid Syd like the plague - that shit is terrible. Sounds to early 60's and jingly.

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Don't forget to add this.

A lot of critics didn't like it for whatever reason(s), but considering it being a late addition to an already impossible-to-top collection, if any no-name artist released it, it would have gotten incredible reviews. It was a case of overwhelming expectations. But still such an amazing album, the Division Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    Don't forget to add this.

A lot of critics didn't like it for whatever reason(s), but considering it being a late addition to an already impossible-to-top collection, if any no-name artist released it, it would have gotten incredible reviews. It was a case of overwhelming expectations. But still such an amazing album, the Division Bell.
    Jesus what a snoozer. If you're that deep you're better off with Gilmour's three solo albums, especially the first two, before you do Division Bell.

   

Jesus what a snoozer. If you're that deep you're better off with Gilmour's three solo albums, especially the first two, before you do Division Bell.
    i realise that it wasn't really the same group after the early 80's, but was there *anything* of note produced after the wall? anything at all?

i remember a cutesy tune or two from the delicate sound of bullshit... as well as a pleasant alt-rock tune that gilmour wrote for some 90's group, but other than that...

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    I have DSOTM, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and A Momentary Lapse of Reason. Obviously I am lacking in anything with Syd Barrett, but I don't know which earlier album to pick up??
    Not really a fan of the Syd Floyd.

But as everybody else alluded too, Meddle is the way to go.

Like others mentioned, get the Live at Pompeii video.

I dig this
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuymq-MlsNU

George Clinton will be proud

Smile, you're on ISH Crystallas's Avatar

Ah, you're one of those, my opinion is better than yours types. Gotcha.

I saw PF live for the first time in 1987, what do I know?

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Some people like The Final Cut, but The Final Cut is to Floyd as what Slash said about the Spaghetti Incident: "That's the sound of Guns n' Roses breaking up".

There are two singles off of A Momentary Lapse of Reason; it's worth listening too. If you've got a hard on for classic Floyd sound but are sick of the classics you can listen to Gilmour's first two solo albums; both of which are good. Has a self titled from the band years and the About Face which is from after their break up. His solo album from 2006 is good too, but it's very mellow as he's getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystallas
    Ah, you're one of those, my opinion is better than yours types. Gotcha.

I saw PF live for the first time in 1987, what do I know?
    I don't care if you've seen them 30 times, that album is a snooze-fest and just poor overall.