Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year ginobli2311's Avatar

Default Re: TRADE CLOSE! Magic, Wizards may trade Rashard for Gilbert Arenas

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    I think the Magic still need a true backup C. Dwight needs his rest too. Especially going against guys like Gasol/Bynum/Shaq and need bigs against Wade/Lebron in case Dwight gets into foul trouble.

Clark isn't a C. He's rail thin. Orton is a PF. So who's available?
    true.

they will obviously find a backup center. thats just a fact.

my point about clark is that he's 6-10 and could flourish playing alongside dwight when the magic want to go big or he could fill in some minutes at center playing with bass.

clark is not just some throw away player. he could potentially give this magic team 10 good minutes a game playing a variety of roles.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Nash+carter=DOMINANT

So...Since the Magic landed J-rich and Hedo are they still going to trade for Agent Zero? Doesnt make sense to do so now. Unless they deal Jameer as well for Mcgee, or trade for some bigs. Gortat does ALOT when Dwight gets in foul trouble.
    Wow I didn't think about this. If the Lewis/Arenas swap doesn't go down, check this out:

PG: Nelson/Duhon/Williams
    SG: Richardson/Reddick
    SF: Turkoglu/Richardson/Anderson
    PF: Lewis/Bass/Clark
    C: Howard/no one

Sort of like the 2008-2009 Magic. Their bench would suck though.

Quote Originally Posted by ginobli2311
    you are seriously over-rating gortat's value to the magic.

the dude plays between 11 and 15 minutes a game in the playoffs. thats it. he's a good player, but he isn't a vital piece for the magic.

they will be able to replace gortat with little to no drop off come playoff time. easily.
    Problem is they have no one to fill in. Clark is awful from what I've seen and cannot play backup center. Doubt he gets much PT this year. Dwight gets into foul trouble often and they need someone to fill in for him.. Gortat was more than just the ppg/rpg numbers you posted. Especially for a team that relies on their center's defense so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BallsOut
    Wow I didn't think about this. If the Lewis/Arenas swap doesn't go down, check this out:

PG: Nelson/Duhon/Williams
    SG: Richardson/Reddick
    SF: Turkoglu/Richardson/Anderson
    PF: Lewis/Bass/Clark
    C: Howard/no one

Sort of like the 2008-2009 Magic. Their bench would suck though.
    Exactly, and there's not any free agent centers anymore that would make a difference.

Also! on an important note does this mean Clark can go back to wearing #5 and be E5 again!?!?!?!

right, but the magic' fate is tied to dwight no matter what. if he plays poorly or he's hurt or if he's in foul trouble it really doesn't matter.

without dwight playing great for an entire series...the magic are not going to win a title or beat another elite team.

the losing of gortat is being way overblown. he's a good player...don't get me wrong, but when you have dwight...your 15 minute a game backup center just isn't that important.
    This COMPLETELY changes if the trades are true. Gilbert, Richardson and Hedo can step it up in a playoffs series against a considerably good challenge they can come out victorious. Probably not against Celtics or Miami, Chicago even, but every other team with these three guys and they can definately pull out 4 wins.

And we're talking about in the long run. Howard getting into foul trouble, injuries stacking up, Bass under performing etc. Gortat is more of an insurance policy if you still don't get it. Yeah 15 mpg, but they can get higher. I get where you're coming from though, but I doubt Magic end up with just as good, or even insurance policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Nash+carter=DOMINANT

So...Since the Magic landed J-rich and Hedo are they still going to trade for Agent Zero? Doesnt make sense to do so now. Unless they deal Jameer as well for Mcgee, or trade for some bigs. Gortat does ALOT when Dwight gets in foul trouble.
    It'd be interesting to see how those two play together. But is that better than Nash+J.Rich combo right now?

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Problem is they have no one to fill in. Clark is awful from what I've seen and cannot play backup center. Doubt he gets much PT this year. Dwight gets into foul trouble often and they need someone to fill in for him.. Gortat was more than just the ppg/rpg numbers you posted. Especially for a team that relies on their center's defense so much.
    but you assume that they won't get another backup center. they will. look. they need to find a way to get a big or bigs that can play 15 minutes a game. they can do that.

clark is not awful either. i never said he could play backup center consistently. what he can do is give you around 8 minutes of versatile play as a backup big in a number of different roles. he could play alongside dwight at times and he could play center in emergency situations for some stretches.

i know gortat is a good player, but it doesn't change the fact that he only plays 15 minutes a game in the playoffs on average and isn't a key player for the magic.

you can replace 15 minutes a game and average production and defense. you'll see.

i guarantee you right now that nobody is going to be looking at the reason the magic lose in the playoffs because they don't have gortat. nobody.

If the magic are in trade talks with Pheonix at all.... why aren't they talking about Steve Nash? Otis Smith's ability to deal with his team in a slump is parallel to SVG's ability to make in-game decisions

Wall get out of there while u can!

Really who is he gonna play with? Blatche? Yi? Lewis?

Serious playground baller Arroyo8's Avatar

so

out

gortat
    vince
    rashard
    pietrus

in

arenas
    jrich
    hedo
    earl clark

is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    o play together. But is that better than Nash+J.Rich combo right now?
    ....you miss my point. I plan on dominating on 2k with them. I want Nash to win, but those Suns aren't winning jack right now.

Didn't realize J Rich is scoring 19ppg on 47%, 42% from 3. Do they start him at the 2 or have him fill the Pietrus role?

Quote Originally Posted by Batz
    This COMPLETELY changes if the trades are true. Gilbert, Richardson and Hedo can step it up in a playoffs series against a considerably good challenge they can come out victorious. Probably not against Celtics or Miami, Chicago even, but every other team with these three guys and they can definately pull out 4 wins.

And we're talking about in the long run. Howard getting into foul trouble, injuries stacking up, Bass under performing etc. Gortat is more of an insurance policy if you still don't get it. Yeah 15 mpg, but they can get higher. I get where you're coming from though, but I doubt Magic end up with just as good, or even insurance policy.

It'd be interesting to see how those two play together. But is that better than Nash+J.Rich combo right now?
    but you are paying too much for that insurance policy...and that insurance policy is not 100% going to pay off. there are plenty of times when dwight gets in foul trouble that gortat comes in and sucks. just like most backups. is he a great backup? not really. is he a good backup? yes.

i just think everyone here over-rates gortat's value to the magic. i'm not saying him as a player. his value.

you also can't really play howard and gortat at the same time either.

the fact remains that the magic are not going to beat the elite teams in a playoff series with dwight out of the game. i disagree with you here. i like the new changes, but this team is going to go how dwight goes in the playoffs. whether you have gortat or not.

but you assume that they won't get another backup center. they will. look. they need to find a way to get a big or bigs that can play 15 minutes a game. they can do that.

clark is not awful either. i never said he could play backup center consistently. what he can do is give you around 8 minutes of versatile play as a backup big in a number of different roles. he could play alongside dwight at times and he could play center in emergency situations for some stretches.

i know gortat is a good player, but it doesn't change the fact that he only plays 15 minutes a game in the playoffs on average and isn't a key player for the magic.

you can replace 15 minutes a game and average production and defense. you'll see.

i guarantee you right now that nobody is going to be looking at the reason the magic lose in the playoffs because they don't have gortat. nobody.
    We're not talking about 15 minutes. We're saying an insurance policy as good as Gortat. Will this replacement your visioning be able to play more than 15 mpg in certain important games and not be a complete liability? I doubt it.

And no one said Gortat is the key to the Magic's success. It's that he's much more important than you think. You need to get off the 15 mpg stuff and look at the big picture here.
    but you are paying too much for that insurance policy...and that insurance policy is not 100% going to pay off. there are plenty of times when dwight gets in foul trouble that gortat comes in and sucks. just like most backups. is he a great backup? not really. is he a good backup? yes.

i just think everyone here over-rates gortat's value to the magic. i'm not saying him as a player. his value.

you also can't really play howard and gortat at the same time either.

the fact remains that the magic are not going to beat the elite teams in a playoff series with dwight out of the game. i disagree with you here. i like the new changes, but this team is going to go how dwight goes in the playoffs. whether you have gortat or not.
    I know that dammit. But what if the whistle start raining? Do you really want Earl Clark to be in there other than Gortat. And I didn't say they'll beat elite teams, but they can beat other playoff teams or atleast challenge them.

No one said Howard and Gortat at the same time. But Bass/Anderson in foul trouble do you want Earl Clark/Orton/Hedo to the rescue?

Look at the big picture here.
    Last edited by Batz; 12-18-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Didn't realize J Rich is scoring 19ppg on 47%, 42% from 3. Do they start him at the 2 or have him fill the Pietrus role?
    not sure.

i'm thinking they bring him off the bench. it depends.

i'm assuming that they will start arenas. seems like j-rich is better suited to come off the bench.