Page 105 of 130 FirstFirst ... 55595102103104105106107108115 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1937

Default Re: 2012/13 Observation Deck

Illinois wasn't guaranteed to win the game if they got the ball back so no one should be saying Miami was lucky to win...they where lucky to get the ball back and that's it....however, missed calls like that should get an official benched for the final four if not earlier...no time for "It's tough to get everything right as an official". That sorta talk is reserved more for the Craft heel over the line play, not this one. It was so obvious that it was Illinois ball that I think the one official was the only guy in the arena or watching on tv who thought it wasn't. lol

I think the black official on the sideline was gonna call it Illinois ball too, but the white official on the end line was more adamant about it being Miami's possession.

I'm a big Illini fan as we may know. I think Paul may have touched it after. Truth be told, there's no way that the ref could have known, but it turned out being possibly right. It sucks, but a lot of plays were bad down the stretch. not to mention they made a lot of mistakes.

-Smak

Oh the Bealsanity

Florida vs FGCU

Nice.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GatorKid117
    Florida vs FGCU

Nice.
    Did the majority of the population of Florida even now FGCU existed before last week? I did, but only because of that Miami win at the beginning of the year.

Oh the Bealsanity

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Did the majority of the population of Florida even now FGCU existed before last week? I did, but only because of that Miami win at the beginning of the year.
    I would say the majority of high school and or college age kids knew of its existence before the tourney. All I knew is that it was in south Florida and it was located on the beach. I don't remember any of my friends going there though.

My brackets look like they went face to face with Richard Kuklinski

Thumbs up Re: 2012/13 Observation Deck

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Illinois just got screwed.
    Just like Clemson

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Oh well, even though it'd kill my bracket as I had Florida going to the Finals against Duke, I'm on the let's go Florida Gulf Coast wagon.

my bracket looks okay so far. My west regional got demolished though.

I've actually got a bracket on ESPN in the 98th percentile. Like a lot of people, my West region is basically just one big red X, but I'm doing pretty good in the the other 3 regions. My other one is in the 60th percentile, though...it's so bad. Only reason it's not worse is because 6 of my Elite 8 are still alive, and all 4 of my Final 4 are still alive.

My "All Chalk" bracket is in the 90th percentile so, even with teams like FGCU, LaSalle, and Oregon making the Sweet 16, it shows going all chalk can be a solid strategy. I've actually won 3 pools (where you could buy up to 3 brackets) in the past 10 years where my "All Chalk" bracket was the winner.

Tubby getting fired is surprising to me. What do they expect at Minnesota?

I heard Smart is #1 on their list and they think they can land him. Not sure what connection between the two I'm missing...

Oh, it's Norwood Teague. He's used to be the AD at VCU and hired Shaka there. He's the AD at Minnesota now.
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 03-25-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory

I heard Smart is #1 on their list and they think they can land him. Not sure what connection between the two I'm missing...

Oh, it's Norwood Teague. He's used to be the AD at VCU and hired Shaka there. He's the AD at Minnesota now.
    Look up Tubby's conference records. Never over .500 and best league finish was 6th. He pumped up his records with crappy non-con wins then shit the bed. They expect better than that for ~2 mil a year, can't just be content with mediocrity.

You know the Big 10 a hell of a lot better than I do...

But I don't get the mediocrity comment. Tubby has given them their best seasons since that Final 4 run in 1997. And that season is removed from the record books anyhow.

1998 - 20-15 - Won the NIT (ineligible season)
    1999 - 17-11 - NCAA first round (ineligible season)
    2000 - 12-16
    2001 - 18-14 - Second round NIT
    2002 - 18-13 - Second round NIT
    2003 - 19-14 - NIT 4th place
    2004 - 12-18
    2005 - 21-11 - NCAA first round
    2006 - 16-15 - NIT second round
    2007 - 9-22
    ---Tubby hired
    2008 - 20-13 - NIT first round
    2009 - 22-11 - NCAA first round
    2010 - 21-14 - NCAA first round
    2011 - 17-14
    2012 - 23-15 - NIT 2nd place
    2013 - 21-12 - NCAA 2nd round

I'm looking through their entire school history and other than a couple decently deep runs in the late 80's, the only way this team does anything in the tournament is if cheating is involved.

12 NCAA tournament appearances. 4 of them with asterisks. 3 of the remaining 8 under Tubby.

Again, this is Minnesota.... What exactly are they expecting here?

imo, this is Teague making a proactive decision. If recruiting was going better (maybe if Minn was in a better position for Jones or Vaughn in 2014) this move wouldn't be happening. Then again, we also likely look at Tubby's Minnesota time differently if Royce White wasn't batshit crazy. It has to be a difficult task keeping the rare 5 star Minnesota recruit at home. It's a risky move.

Teague ain't stupid, tho. I wanted UNC to hire to him when we were looking a couple years ago. It will be interesting to see who he hires.
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 03-25-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    Look up Tubby's conference records. Never over .500 and best league finish was 6th. He pumped up his records with crappy non-con wins then shit the bed. They expect better than that for ~2 mil a year, can't just be content with mediocrity.
    Pretty much this. The size of his contract just did not match up with the results. They actually had some good talent go in and out of there while he was there. Mbakwe blowing his knee twice obviously didn't help either, but regardless, with the Big Ten realignment I bet they don't want to fall behind the new members, that would be kind of embarrassing imo and no one would care more about that than a new athletic director

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory

I think Minn is the kind of place that could be a good fit for Smart. You really have to buy into his system, and it works better with more experienced players. One-and-done McD's All Americans aren't going to want to play like that, or subjugate their game for the overall good. At Minn he can recruit some fertile Big 10 territory; his name will be a draw for both fans and players; and he really could build something.

A place like UCLA would be a death knell for him. They don't seem to have a realistic view of what their program is. There's no "next John Wooden" ever going to happen.