Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Knowing what we know now from the '96 draft...

Who would you have chosen #1 overall if you were the GM?

Default Re: Knowing what we know now from the '96 draft...

I'd still take A.I. I don't feel like Nash or Kobe could have done what he did with the same teammates.

College star

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Loneshot
    I'd still take A.I. I don't feel like Nash or Kobe could have done what he did with the same teammates.
    Tell me your kidding?? I don't even like kobe but to say you would still draft A.I. ahead of him is rediculous! Every GM in the league would take Kobe #1.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by swanson333
    Tell me your kidding?? I don't even like kobe but to say you would still draft A.I. ahead of him is rediculous! Every GM in the league would take Kobe #1.
    great first post.

It would be hard to guess at the time that Kobe would be the second coming but if I did know then it would easily be him.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Rysio
    great first post.
    holy shit.first phucking post in 5 years

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

If we re-draft it today, knowing what I know (assuming Kobe will play for my team and not whine his way to LA, right?)

Allen Iverson
    Ray Allen
    Antoine Walker
    Marcus Camby
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Stephon Marbury
    Kobe Bryant
    Steve Nash
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Kerry Kittles
    Peja Stojaković
    Erick Dampier
    D.fisher
    Tony Delk

Here's the thing, my job as a GM, especially on a bad team (which gets a good pick) is on the line. I want the guys who can do it right away and fit perfectly into whatever else I have in mind.

The guys who took 3ish years to develop are of no value to me. They'll get some other GM a raise, and a title, not me...Ill be sitting around my house saying "I knew that guy would be good."

So - AI, Ray, Walker are my first 3.

Then I went with size because size does not come cheap. Z was specifically good early, the foot injuries will get me fired in 2 yrs, though.

Steph was good quickly, but the worst attitutde in the draft. He'll get me fired.

Then came the projects, Kobe, Nash, J.O'n. I'm fired by the time they get good, but at least its on my resume.

Then role players. No one cares. Hopefull by that time in the draft my team is pretty good anyway and these guys make their small contributions and I'm a genius.

Made that high school varsity squad

knowing what I know now... kobe, nash, ai, ray

ray allen was the safest pick out of the four.. nash was a project since he came out of santa clara.. AI was gonna sell tickets and he was the best player in college.. kobe was a project.. but west drafted him even though they had eddie jones...

i would draft on potential and talent.. not needs..

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
    If we re-draft it today, knowing what I know (assuming Kobe will play for my team and not whine his way to LA, right?)

Allen Iverson
    Ray Allen
    Antoine Walker
    Marcus Camby
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Stephon Marbury
    Kobe Bryant
    Steve Nash
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Kerry Kittles
    Peja Stojaković
    Erick Dampier
    D.fisher
    Tony Delk

Here's the thing, my job as a GM, especially on a bad team (which gets a good pick) is on the line. I want the guys who can do it right away and fit perfectly into whatever else I have in mind.

The guys who took 3ish years to develop are of no value to me. They'll get some other GM a raise, and a title, not me...Ill be sitting around my house saying "I knew that guy would be good."

So - AI, Ray, Walker are my first 3.

Then I went with size because size does not come cheap. Z was specifically good early, the foot injuries will get me fired in 2 yrs, though.

Steph was good quickly, but the worst attitutde in the draft. He'll get me fired.

Then came the projects, Kobe, Nash, J.O'n. I'm fired by the time they get good, but at least its on my resume.

Then role players. No one cares. Hopefull by that time in the draft my team is pretty good anyway and these guys make their small contributions and I'm a genius.
    Knowing what you know now you'd want to be known as the guy who drafted the same man who went on web cam and ate vasoline (which you knew he would) over Kobe Bryant? Flawless Logic

Root Of All Evil

I would've loved to have seen Kobe's career be played out in Philly. His hometown, and where his dad played. Take Iverson's scoring years, and add 3 - 5 ppg onto each average and we'd have Kobe. His career averages would've been a lot higher. And we would've saw possibly more 81 point type games.

I'm still taking Allen Iverson. Call it bias. Call it stupid. Feel free to say whatever your heat desires. Instant impact player not only for the franchise but the NBA. He introduced a new culture to the game. Sure people rocked braids before AI. He wasnt the first human to. But to see the transformation with players in how they appeared from hair, tatts you name it? Bringing that hip hop prescence as well? Not that that has sh!t to do with a team if you're the GM. It doesnt, just useless info i'm giving. But call it bias, fanboy.

AI beasted in college and was exciting as hell to watch.

Kobe is great, but knowing what I know? He was in a perfect situation right out the gate. I'd like to see how his career unfolds or peoples replies if you didnt take Kobe #1 had he not played in L.A with Shaq.

Give me AI, did I say that enough?

Someone should create a thread of merged drafts. Say 1996 and 2003. How would a first round go.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    I would've loved to have seen Kobe's career be played out in Philly. Living in Lower Merion playing summers in Philly, and where his dad played. Take Iverson's scoring years, and add 3 - 5 ppg onto each average and we'd have Kobe. His career averages would've been a lot higher. And we would've saw possibly more 81 point type games.
    Fixed

knowing what i know based on talent and longevity:

Kobe Bryant
    Allen Iverson
    Ray Allen
    Steve Nash
    Antoine Walker
    Marcus Camby
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Stephon Marbury
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Peja Stojaković
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    Kerry Kittles
    Erick Dampier
    D.fisher
    Tony Delk

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by bluechox2
    knowing what i know based on talent and longevity:

Kobe Bryant
    Allen Iverson
    Ray Allen
    Steve Nash
    Antoine Walker
    Marcus Camby
    Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    Stephon Marbury
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Peja Stojaković
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim
    Kerry Kittles
    Erick Dampier
    D.fisher
    Tony Delk
    Peja goes at #5. 10 years of excellent shooting with at least 16 PPG, 5 RPG, 2 APG for a small forward.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by swanson333
    They should build monuments in honor of this first post. I applaud you, kind sir.