Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone Else Like The Bennett Pick?

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Bennett = Paul Millsap, if you like that as your first pick in the draft then okay.
    Bennett is a lot more athletic than Millsap. And considering you're wrong about everything, the Cavs probably made the right move. You were on here not too long ago talking about how Irving would be a bust. Now you're all over his balls

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Tristan is the best frontcourt defender on the team.

LMAO @ a Bennett/Zeller frontcourt

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    This guy is a strictly POWER FORWARD.

What are the Cavs thinking with this pick?

Irving
    Waiters
    Who??
    Tristan
    Varejao -- who hasn't been healthy in three seasons?

That's their starting line up right there. Bennett is strictly a PF so...

Irving
    Waiters
    Who again?
    Bennett
    Tristan or Varejao

That's the only line up Bennett can play with. Which is a line up that is 6'9 and shorter with only Tristan and Waiters being the only decent defenders on the floor.

I need to know what this team is trying to do here... become the Golden State Warriors of the East, maybe?
    Not sure, but you guys can manage for a year until that ETO...

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    Still wondering how they're gonna play this out though. Is he gonna play the 3? Seems like he's big and strong enough to match up against most 3's, but seems like he isn't quick enough to defend them. His jumpshot isn't exactly reliable yet either. Or have they quickly given up on Thompson and have Bennett start at the 4, his natural position. Idk, to me, Noel or Len would have been the "safe" pick.
    Didn't he shoot 38% from three? A 6'7"-6'8" freshman who shoots that well from the outside would give me more than enough confidence that he will be a good shooter in the NBA. What did you see from him that makes you worried? His form is fine.

Overall, not sure how he will pan out. Lateral quickness is the big question mark for me. I do think he might benefit from the more open style of the NBA kinda like how Barnes has.

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    Tristan is the best frontcourt defender on the team.

LMAO @ a Bennett/Zeller frontcourt
    Honestly, Thompson is probably getting traded in the near future. So it could be even worse.

its obvious what cleveland was thinking.... they thought he had the highest upside and the guy who would struggle the least with the injury they had.

we have absolutely 0 frountcourt players who can shoot. so, now we have a great PF who can stretch the floor and is just a freshman.

if it wasn't gonna be noel than i'm glad it was anthony bennett. we havent gotten a pick wrong the last two years.

we will not be trading thompson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin
    Didn't he shoot 38% from three? A 6'7"-6'8" freshman who shoots that well from the outside would give me more than enough confidence that he will be a good shooter in the NBA. What did you see from him that makes you worried? His form is fine.

This. The big thing with Bennett is his defense. The guy will put the ball in the hoop. This was an extremely high risk pick. But I like what they did. And im usually really down on tweeners.

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    its obvious what cleveland was thinking.... they thought he had the highest upside and the guy who would struggle the least with the injury they had.

we have absolutely 0 frountcourt players who can shoot. so, now we have a great PF who can stretch the floor and is just a freshman.

if it wasn't gonna be noel than i'm glad it was anthony bennett. we havent gotten a pick wrong the last two years.
    I don't understand what you're talking about. Cavs have passed over each of the following the last three years:

Valancuinas
    Drummond
    Noel

I mean, what sense does that make when Varejao can't stay healthy? And oh btw, you trade up to draft Zeller last year.

Makes no sense.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin

Overall, not sure how he will pan out. Lateral quickness is the big question mark for me. I do think he might benefit from the more open style of the NBA kinda like how Barnes has.
    Still inconsistent from 3 to be a regular SF in the league imo. I'm not even sure if he could play the position. He's just a natural 4.

If he were drafted onto any other team, there's no doubt in my mind that coaches would put him at the 4. Right off the bat. Just seemed like a bizarre pick with Thompson blossoming, and Varejao injured. Didn't they just trade for TRob too?

Idk, like a lock for CLE to get a Center or a SF... Len, Noel, Porter, maybe even Oladipo. I'd still take any of those guys ahead of Bennett.

I am your soldier!

Bennett is going to be good. A worse Larry Johnson, but taller.

I kind of see Noel as Hasheem Thabeet 2.0, so I think it was smart not to take him. I'm sorry, but there's no way a shot blocking big with hardly any offensive ability coming off knee surgery should be a #1 pick.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I don't hate it. I like that the Cavs have been doing their own thing in the draft, recently drafting high ceilings early (Tristan, Waiters, Bennett) while also getting safe role players later (Zeller, Russian guy).

SF seems to be the weakness, but Gee aint too bad, right? And I've liked Casspi when he was on the Kings. Solid jack-of-all-trades type. I like breaking down rosters to see how much I like them. Assuming they lose their FA's:

Varejao
    Anthony Bennett
    Gee
    Waiters
    Irving
    -------
    Tyler Zeller
    Tristan Thompson
    Casspi
    Karasev
    Ellington
    CJ Miles

Not too bad. And room for a FA or 2. I think capable of contending for the #8 seed in the East w/ Mike Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    Bennett = Paul Millsap, if you like that as your first pick in the draft then okay.
    Except Bennett is more powerful around the rim than Milsap and plays above the rim. Milsap plays under the rim, but I understand the comparison.

All in all I'm fine with the pick. I will give the kid a fair shake for 2-3 years to develop. He came in and averaged 15/8 his freshman year at 27MPG. Pretty good.

Ideally he's a PF and that's where you'd want to play him. He'd be a nice fit as a stretch 4 for Irving/Waiters combo. But the real issue at hand here is what the hell happens to Tristan Thompson? He made such great progress last season when Varejao went down. Thompson isn't made to play the center position, but he can play it in short spurts by out-hustling bigger guys.

It just puts more questions in my head on what they're doing. You'd think if they felt Thompson was a long-term fit for that position they'd get Porter or Noel to fill there two weaker spots that come into play in the future.
    Last edited by Meticode; 06-28-2013 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fudge
    Still inconsistent from 3 to be a regular SF in the league imo. I'm not even sure if he could play the position. He's just a natural 4.

If he were drafted onto any other team, there's no doubt in my mind that coaches would put him at the 4. Right off the bat. Just seemed like a bizarre pick with Thompson blossoming, and Varejao injured. Didn't they just trade for TRob too?

Idk, like a lock for CLE to get a Center or a SF... Len, Noel, Porter, maybe even Oladipo. I'd still take any of those guys ahead of Bennett.
    Seems like the Cavs were focused solely on taking the most talented guy. Seeing as how Noel and McClemore slipped, it seems there was no real consensus among GMs who the BPA was. And Porter is overrated imo. At least if Bennett busts you can say you went for potential. Porter has low upside and poor lateral quickness.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

It's not a question of how good Bennett will be, he's gonna be great, probably one of the best players in the draft. It's just that they should of drafted for a position of need. They didn't neccessarily need Bennett with TT there, they needed an SF or C. So Porter, Len, Noel or even Oladipo would have made more sense.