Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone Else Like The Bennett Pick?

owned

Thunder it DOWN, Dion! PleezeBelieve's Avatar

That thread was made seven months before the draft. Once I did my advanced scouting, I pegged Irving exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by d.bball.guy
    Didn't he bash Waiters too?
    Bennett is gonna be a star
    He bashed Irving then literally a year later he posted something to the effect of "I'mma a prophet and called Irving a great pick."

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    That thread was made seven months before the draft. Once I did my advanced scouting, I pegged Irving exactly.
    So what you're saying is you bashed him before you even scouted him? You knee-jerked what you said before you ever looked at his game?

Even better. Keeping diggin' your hole n!gga.

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve

that thread was made 2 and a half months before the draft.

I like the pick because I think it's a strong indication that come July 10, Greg Oden is going to be a Cavalier. So Bennett + Oden, it's a gamble, but it could have a huge payday if it works out

not only do we have a great pick and roll player for irving we have a great pick and pop player for irving. great fit, hopefully he stays around 240.

Last edited by ClutchOver9000; 06-28-2013 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MMKM
    I like the pick because I think it's a strong indication that come July 10, Greg Oden is going to be a Cavalier. So Bennett + Oden, it's a gamble, but it could have a huge payday if it works out
    I'm curious what they do now during FA. I'd take a chance on Oden as long as he shows he's fully healthy. If he's healthy seemingly give it a go, if his knees buckle it was a minimum risk. Oden's still 25 years old. Last month his workout buddy from Ohio State Deshaun Thomas said he's lifting weights and running and looks good. Grant it, it's probably biased towards him, but he said he looks like he's doing all the right things right now to get back in shape for a comeback. The biased word he used was "unbelievable" on how Oden looked last month.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I'm curious what they do now during FA. I'd take a chance on Oden as long as he shows he's fully healthy. If he's healthy seemingly give it a go, if his knees buckle it was a minimum risk. Oden's still 25 years old. Last month his workout buddy from Ohio State Deshaun Thomas said he's lifting weights and running and looks good. Grant it, it's probably biased towards him, but he said he looks like he's doing all the right things right now to get back in shape for a comeback. The biased word he used was "unbelievable" on how Oden looked last month.
    I agree! Len had a broken foot and he's a puss pie. Noel, knee or not, 206 lbs. take seven feet 270 and give it a go. They feel like they have him locked, Bennett isn't a bad fit. Could have gone Porter or VO but no way I'd draft a center with Oden looming

I agree! Len had a broken foot and he's a puss pie. Noel, knee or not, 206 lbs. take seven feet 270 and give it a go. They feel like they have him locked, Bennett isn't a bad fit. Could have gone Porter or VO but no way I'd draft a center with Oden looming
    FYI Miami met with Oden. he could end there as well giving them a legit big-man...

http://www.hothothoops.com/2013/6/27...the-miami-heat

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Just got home and, wow... What can I say? Just when I think I have Grant figured out, he throws another curveball. Thompson and Waiters were both very good picks in retrospect, imo, so I go back and look at what both guys (and Kyrie) had in common. Great analytics.

So, obviously, if he played the analytics card to really guide him through the last two drafts, obviously the first pick would be Noel or Porter, two guys who shined in that criteria in every table I saw... And two guys who were consensus Top 3 picks by just about everyone.

Had to be one of those guys, right? Wrong.

I can't say I hate the pick. I was dead set against Len and I wanted nothing to do with McLemore. Bennett was somewhere between the guys I wanted (Noel/Porter) and the guys I absolutely didn't want (Len/McLemore).

I would have absolutely no problem with this pick if it made sense in terms of the roster. Can Bennett play the 3? Maybe in spurts, but certainly not in a fulltime capacity. He looks all the world to be a PF to me.

That means Tristan, who really was one of the most improved players in the league last year, is going to be playing more at center than PF? Or, will he be coming off the bench? Or, will our No. 1 pick be coming off the bench? Or, is Tristan being moved?

All questions I'd like answers to. One thing Grant did say in his presser tonight was that, while he can play the 3 in certain lineups, Bennett is a power forward... Which is what we all thought.

So, what gives with this roster?

Was Bennett so far and away the best prospect according to what they saw that they felt they had to take him despite needs? I'm assuming that must have been the case. If so, it is hard to argue with. You don't look back 10 years from now at a draft and say, "Man, that guy was clearly the best player in the draft, but they already had a good player in that position."

I've taken a closer look at his tape in the last two hours and there is no denying his offensive talent/skill. The guy has all the tools on that side of the floor to be a real impact player. I guess Mike Brown must feel like he can turn any player into a solid defender, because he really is atrocious both in man and on help. He showed flashes at UNLV of being able to block shots and create turnovers, but most of the time, he looked disinterested.

I'm figuring Brown is confident he can work on that, but having a great motor is hard to teach.

I don't know... Mixed feelings tonight. I feel like we missed an opportunity to draft a once in a generation defensive talent, but with Noel slipping all the way to 7th, I guess I have to defer to the experts on this one. They must know something I don't.

Can't say I'm completely disappointed in this pick. I would have been with Len/McLemore, so things could have been worse.

And, I love the Sergie Karasev pick. Rumor was the Cavs were actually trying to move up to #13 to be sure that they got him. Turned out, he fell right in our laps at 19.

I'm not going to sit here and complain about a core of...

Kyrie Irving
    Dion Waiters
    Sergie Karasev
    Anthony Bennett
    Tristan Thompson / Tyler Zeller

That could be an explosive offensive team in time. I just have my fingers crossed that Grant didn't get too cute when the obvious pick was the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    FYI Miami met with Oden. he could end there as well giving them a legit big-man...

http://www.hothothoops.com/2013/6/27...the-miami-heat
    Cleveland can offer Oden a bigger contract, which according to reports, they are prepared to do. (2 years above vet minimum with 3rd year option) I think at this point Cleveland is the front runner and Miami is a close second. But I think that Cleveland not drafting a center is an indicator that they are pretty confident they have Oden in the bag. I think they might know something we don't know

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Cleveland can offer Oden a bigger contract, which according to reports, they are prepared to do. (2 years above vet minimum with 3rd year option) I think at this point Cleveland is the front runner and Miami is a close second. But I think that Cleveland not drafting a center is an indicator that they are pretty confident they have Oden in the bag. I think they might know something we don't know
    Do you think a franchise can afford to count on Greg Oden at this point in his career? He's a low risk/high reward gamble, but not someone you plan for as a core piece of the future.

I'm all for giving him a shot, but you don't pass on certain guys at No. 1 in this draft with the assumption, "Don't worry, we'll have Oden!" I would be shocked if he factored into the decision at all. That isn't to say the draft won't turn out well for them or that signing Oden isn't a good idea... You just can't count on someone in his position.