Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #13861
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

By Quentin Tarantino

8.5/10

Beast Movie... Spoiler in white text Would have given it a 9 had Mr.White not killed Mr.Orange at the end

ArbitraryWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #13862
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
The Drop.

Bob Sagowski is a bad mutha ****a ... outta ten!

I figured I'd elaborate. I went to see this at my favorite theater in New Haven Friday night. I haven't really don't that in a while, really since I've been hurt, where I can go see something there by choice, even though it's playing at other theaters, and then hit the town after. And walking out I was pretty revved up.

It's a very simple crime story. It's based on a short story, not a novel, and you can tell. There are really only 6 or 7 characters in the whole thing. And because of that it may seem a bit predictable, which is true in a way, but at the same time they twist the motive around, and it really gives a fresh angle on what would otherwise been predictable. But it's a small story. It's in New York, but in Brooklyn, and everything feels like it's on the neighborhood level.

It opens with an abused dog, which is kind of a easy grab for me. It's one of those things that immediatlely makes me want retribuation. The pacing is brisk, as it runs less than two hours. So I knew I was gonna get closure one way or the other. And even though it's brisk, the limited characters leave some breathing room for some great performances. Noomi Rapace was great. Tom Hardy was very good in something that was a little different from his usual brooding. And Gandalfini was working in his wheelhouse, with just a touch of variation in that he gets to express some fear. And I guy I knew nothing about, Matthias Schoenaerts, had a convincing turn as the crazy antagonist Eric Deeds.
It's a crime movie, so we're not getting a ton of depth from the characters. It's obviously plot driven, so it's about these people in this situation, not about them generally. But all the emotion feels genuine. And they have to hide some characterization for the sake of the story to unfold.

The screenplay was written by Dennis Lehane, based on his own short story (and in the past he's not written the screenplays for the films his books have inspired). I've recently read True Detective Author Nic Pizzalatto's novel Galveston, which I really liked, and Lehane is something of a master out of that same school of writing (noir, crime fiction, hard boiled, or whatever else it sometimes goes by), so it's fair to say I've been in the mood for this type of work. His novels have already been made into Shutter Island, Gone Baby Gone, and Mystic River. He's also written for The Wire, and Boardwalk Empire.

Weirdly Coincidental: Matthias Schoenaerts, the guy who played Deeds, I looked up on IMDB after seeing the movie, and it turns out he's been cast (pre-production wise at least), for the lead in the film adaptation of Pizzatto's Galveston. Which since I've read it so recently and now seen him I don't totally see, but he was good enough that I'd love to see him try.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #13863
Rake2204
NBA Superstar

Not the very last one I watched, but I did go see Stop Making Sense in the theatre recently. I was not very familiar with the Talking Heads prior but after viewing, I can see why it's known as one of the best, if not the best concert films of all-time. Great performance and great shooting. Cannot believe I didn't really know who David Byrne was until this summer. Interesting dude.

For being a concert film, with a band I didn't even know very well no less, I do not have shame in giving it a 9/10. Also, great seeing it in a theatre setting. Folks were involved and digging it.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 09-15-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #13864
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

I need to see that. I'm a big fan.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #13865
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

For anyone who liked Saving Private Ryan,

if you have the time to.. try to get your hands on the HBO series (I think), Band of Brothers. I watched this the summer before college for about 1-2 hours a day per episode. It was fantastic . I think the other series that covers the Pacific is "The Pacific." I watched the major parts of it. If you want just one main character to focus on "The Pacific" is for you. If you want to get a little bit of everything, "Band of Brothers" IMO really covers the mentioned "grunts" and "officers" quite well. They do give enough explanation to understand what happens, etc. Don't be surprised if you find yourself googling some of them to learn more about them.

Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001 : 09-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #13866
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Apocalypse Now (1979)

By Francis Ford Coppola

8/10

What a strange movie... Not the easiest to draw things from or put together.

Let me just link some stuff I could agree with and good Information:

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/gr...lypse-now-1979

http://www.sparknotes.com/film/apoca...canalysis.html

http://www.imdb.com/reviews/355/35597.html

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/faq#.2.1.4

http://www.fastenupyourseatbelts.com...wAnalysis.html

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...2175052AArImAF

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...-spills-729281

http://www.moviemeanings.com/Apocalypse-Now (lol)

Quote:
"The horror. The horror."

The sentence which is as famous as "Here's looking at you, kid," or "Are you talkin' to me?" or "May the Force be with you," or "I'll be back," means a little more than some one-liners. When it is spoken it lingers in the air with an importance and meaning that does not go unnoticed. What might drive some viewers nuts is that they may never find an answer to the horror unless they re-watch the film and try to pay close observation to every single frame.

The reality of life, and war...

I can relate to that a lot... I read some Reviews and they all mention how brilliantly it describes the Vietnam War... It doesn't, at all. It describes not just War, but contrast, bitterness, madness, in General... And how we can all stumble upon it.

And the beginning of the Movie shows the end, the Explosion of Kurtz's compound.

BTW: I watched the Original... Redux is just 50 minutes of additional waste, with essentially nothing meaningful added. Pace is perfect. The French scene in the Redux (Just check a Picture comparison) throws you off. There's more nudity though... Guys hanging out with the Playmates.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #13867
outbreak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001

if you have the time to.. try to get your hands on the HBO series (I think), Band of Brothers. I watched this the summer before college for about 1-2 hours a day per episode. It was fantastic . I think the other series that covers the Pacific is "The Pacific." I watched the major parts of it. If you want just one main character to focus on "The Pacific" is for you. If you want to get a little bit of everything, "Band of Brothers" IMO really covers the mentioned "grunts" and "officers" quite well. They do give enough explanation to understand what happens, etc. Don't be surprised if you find yourself googling some of them to learn more about them.

I just rewatched band of brothers a couple of weeks ago with my girlfriend who hadn't seen it before. Really is a great series. I haven't seen the pacific though.
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:20 AM   #13868
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Devil Wears Prada (I was really bored lol don't judge)

6.5/10

Decent storyline. It's a feel good story I feel for fresh college graduates or people who are on the verge of graduating. It's about an aspiring journalist working for a really demanding woman in a fashion magazine. The only reason why she keeps the job is because if you stay with this certain boss, you can get any job you want in any major magazine/paper. The ending definitely made me smile.

Last edited by NBAplayoffs2001 : 09-17-2014 at 06:46 PM.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:22 AM   #13869
FatComputerNerd
College star

The Rover (2014)

"10 years after a global economic collapse, a hardened loner pursues the men who stole his only possession, his car. Along the way, he captures one of the thieves' brother, and the duo form an uneasy bond during the dangerous journey."

-This movie only has a 6.7 on IMDB but I think it deserves much higher. One of the best movies I've seen this year I think.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:55 PM   #13870
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Pineapple Express (2008)

Wow... Last 30 minutes before the Breakfast (Which was kinda cool) was a major disaster...
Old 09-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #13871
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001

Generation Kill is another really sick HBO war series. It's all modern and doesn't have the same action as those two but the characters are hilarious.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #13872
Patrick Chewing
Banned

The Drop - 7/10

I wanted to like this film more, but I just couldn't get past Tom Hardy's voice in this film. Literally sounded like and acted like a retard the whole movie even though he was the smartest guy in the entire film. And this is not a spoiler, but was Marv really going to kill his cousin?? Aside from those two points, the movie is solid and the dog is the cutest f'n dog.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:50 AM   #13873
pauk
NBA Legend

Edge of Tomorrow - 9/10

Have a weakness for time-loop movies!

The Drop - 7/10

Patrick Chewing, we agree on something

Last edited by pauk : 09-19-2014 at 04:54 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #13874
RoseCity07
NBA Legend

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

4/10

Overrated film. I was bored most of the time. I don't know why people think this is a great film.
RoseCity07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #13875
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseCity07
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.

4/10

Overrated film. I was bored most of the time. I don't know why people think this is a great film.

Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: