Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #13966
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Face/Off: 4.5/10

Top critics on RT gave in 8.8/10. Never trusting them again.
T_L_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #13967
ArbitraryWater
... on a leash

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_L_P
Face/Off: 4.5/10

Top critics on RT gave in 8.8/10. Never trusting them again.

Damn I swear you're so far off of everyone's or the majoritiy's opinion on most movies

Give me your best, Tarantino, or Scorsese movies again..
ArbitraryWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 12:58 PM   #13968
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoss
I fukin love Munich. I defiantly recommend it. Spielsburgh and a politically charged revenge flick based on true events. You can't go wrong.

I'll get around to it. I went out Friday and had stuff to do last night. I have like 4 papers due tomorrow so I may not get to watch it tonight.
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #13969
thefatmiral
Local High School Star

last vegas. not a movie I would usually watch. I dont like star studded simple movies made to sale. some terrible moments but mostly enjoyable and watchable. bought it for parent. kevin kline too young to be in it but he supplied the funny.
thefatmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #13970
SugarHill
infamous souvlaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
Damn I swear you're so far off of everyone's or the majoritiy's opinion on most movies

He probably thinks QT is pure garbage and Scorsese is merely passable.
SugarHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #13971
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

Pulp Fiction - one of the best movies of the 90s for sure. I also liked Basterds and Reservoir Dogs (a 6.5/10 is quite a good rating from me). Can't say I like anything else he's done.

Too many Scorsese. Either Mean Streets or Raging Bull. Taxi Driver also needs a mention.

Face/Off was really boring imo. The pacing of the first 30 minutes was horrendous too.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #13972
BigBoss
T'Bagging LeBron Fam

9/10

From the guy who wrote Training Day and directed Fury, Harsh Times, and Street Kings.

This movie was really good. Whose seen it? It's raw as fukk.
BigBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #13973
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Quote:
I fukin love Munich. I defiantly recommend it. Spielsburgh and a politically charged revenge flick based on true events. You can't go wrong.

most overrated movies ever are the ones based on true events~

its like they get points just for being based on real events more than being great unto themselves.

munich was incredibly overrated, so was blackhawk down, and pretty much EVERYTHING ever made based on true events similar to those. if that label were never attached to them, they'd be average movies at best. its just like that bomb diffusing movie in Iraq, i forget what the name of it was, it was that overrated forgettable....and the hype that got is laughable now looking back ...movie critics are such a joke to me since i remember them praising it too.

i swear i don't get steered more wrong with movies than the ones pumping these types of movies.

PS i don't consider Saving Private Ryan like those more exact/realistic movies to copy events, but thats why it was great unto itself, and not some lame extravagant re-enactment. meh.

Last edited by Godzuki : 10-20-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #13974
NBAplayoffs2001
One of the Goodfellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki

its like they get points just for being based on real events more than being great unto themselves.

munich was incredibly overrated, so was blackhawk down, and pretty much EVERYTHING ever made based on true events similar to those. if that label were never attached to them, they'd be average movies at best. its just like that bomb diffusing movie in Iraq, i forget what the name of it was, it was that overrated forgettable....and the hype that got is laughable now looking back ...movie critics are such a joke to me since i remember them praising it too.

i swear i don't get steered more wrong with movies than the ones pumping these types of movies.

PS i don't consider Saving Private Ryan like those more exact/realistic movies to copy events, but thats why it was great unto itself, and not some lame extravagant re-enactment. meh.

Hurt locker- bomb diffusing. I never watched it but clips, didn't seem that great.
Black Hawk Down- I watched a few documentaries and read stories about what really happen. I'm pretty sure they adjusted a lot of it especially Private Jamie Smith's death.
Is Munich a pro-Israel movie? Or is it neutral to an extent?
NBAplayoffs2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #13975
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

This one's way off the beaten path.

I saw a well regarded French movie Saturday Night called The Blue Room. I was considering Kill The Messanger, but went with this instead. It's short, and a tight little mystery noir thriller crime thing. It was interesting. Mathieu Amalric wrote, directed and starred. He's got roles in Quantum of Solace, Grand Budapest Hotel, The Diving Bell and The Butterfly, and Munich, and is apparently pretty highly thought of on the French Film front. He's a guy you'd probably recognize if you saw him, assuming you've seen him just once.

It's an interesting storytelling mechanism. An affair takes place between he and an old shoolmate. Her husband dies. Then his wife dies. The whole thing takes place through flashbacks from criminal investigation, and you get these multiple sides to the same story. It's not clear who did what or if anyone did anything. It's left pretty open ended even though the case is resolved.

I enjoyed it enough, but thought it was a little overrated based on it's Tomatoemeter score. I'd say high 70s at best. It's just a little too simple, and not all that engaging visually, to warrant something like best foreign film nominations, which feels like what they're shooting for. Honestly I'm a little disappointed I didn't see Kill The Messanger. But that's playing closer to home now, so I may check it out during the week.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #13976
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAplayoffs2001
Hurt locker- bomb diffusing. I never watched it but clips, didn't seem that great.
Black Hawk Down- I watched a few documentaries and read stories about what really happen. I'm pretty sure they adjusted a lot of it especially Private Jamie Smith's death.
Is Munich a pro-Israel movie? Or is it neutral to an extent?

hurt locker is not great, not great at all. its okay but during its time and the acclaim and awards it received, you'd think it was the greatest movie ever made. imo it could be one of the most overrated movies ever praised by people...or critics. the critics were so off it just makes them a complete joke to me looking back.

i think its neutral. i honestly found Munich boring. i found black hawk down more entertaining than Munich tbh. but all of these movies i felt were all extremely overhyped based on them being based on real events. and its like anything attached to the Iraq war or 9/11, or even patriotism gets overrated too. every time i've been reccommended these movies i've felt severely let down, and in hindsight now laff at how overrated they are/were from a entertaining standpoint~
Old 10-20-2014, 01:57 PM   #13977
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I also was disappointed by Hurt Locker. It was a collection of scenes, with an ending that was supposed to make a point, but I just didn't care.

I did like Munich though. I found it entertaining and exciting, regardless of the true story.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #13978
BigBoss
T'Bagging LeBron Fam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki

It sounds like you have an agenda against movies based/inspired on true events. Munich is social commentary on the Isreal/palestine conflict moreso then what happened at those Olympic games. it's directed beautifully and has a great story/cast. Why are you SO mad?
BigBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 02:39 PM   #13979
T_L_P
The Beast In Me

New York Doll - 9.5/10

One of the best rock documentaries I've seen.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #13980
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Quote:
It sounds like you have an agenda against movies based/inspired on true events. Munich is social commentary on the Isreal/palestine conflict moreso then what happened at those Olympic games. it's directed beautifully and has a great story/cast. Why are you SO mad?

i feel i'm just honest. i feel like those movies get bumps because they are based on true events, so they're not rated based on entertainment value alone so much which should be the basis of judging. I also feel like a lot of times they're judged based on the politics of those release times like Hurt Locker during the Iraqi war. So every critic wants to come across as patriotic and supporting soldiers by giving it rave reviews. same with the 9/11 related movies. To me the hype on them then becomes disingenuous to why we recommend movies to each other.

i'm also sort of pissed i've been bamboozled with recommendations of for example Munich which i remember renting thinking it was going to be amazing, and like cmon man

i mean i get people have different preferences but i'd swear these movies in relation to their hype have external factors more involved in their hype than your typical movie. whether thats some peoples niche love for docudrama, or the relation to the times/events they're released, but i feel the movies unto themselves do not stand up to entertaining great without the 'real events' or 'political timing' relationships.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: