Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #31
stephanieg
College superstar

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Doc Rivers how was he so trash in Orlando and now great in Boston?

Before 2008, Doc was considered one of the worst coaches in the league. Winning CoY just proves that, since until recently it seems only horrible coaches that have a randomly good year win it (before getting fired), like Dunleavy, Mike Brown, Sam Mitchell, Byron Scott, Scott Brooks, and Pringles.

One of the reasons the Cs struggled so much in the early rounds of '08 was due to his goofy rotations.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #32
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1718
He replaced Bob Hill, and I'm still not sure why he was fired. I think Pop was the one that fired him.
I think you're right, and I was just as perplexed.

Hill in 2006, on his canning:

Quote:
Hill has harbored a deep resentment toward Popovich, whom he believes unfairly terminated his employment and maligned his reputation in the NBA.

Hill has no proof to support his claims, just unsubstantiated claims from anonymous friends throughout the league and a gut feeling that he has been wronged.

"I just know him too well," Hill said. "I know what he's like behind closed doors. I've been in lots and lots of meetings with him. The only way he can justify what he did was to create all this deception that I was some kind of ... monster. That I was hard to work with or whatever ... and they were all lies."

It still baffles Hill that he was fired after guiding San Antonio to a league-best 62-20 record during the 1994-95 season and 59 wins the next season. He doesn't mention that he inherited a team that won 55 games or that the Spurs failed to advance past the Western Conference finals under his guidance.

It still burns at Hill that he was fired after starting the 1996-97 season with a 3-15 record even though several players were out because of injuries, including Robinson, who played six games that season after aggravating a back injury.

"He basically set me up and kept lying to me, and the first chance he got, he got rid of me," Hill said. "The first chance. We won [121] games in two years. What people remember, which is really sad, is that only David was out.

"There were five guys out. David was out. Sean [Elliott] was out. Chuck Person was out. Will Perdue missed eight games [early]."

With Popovich at the helm, the Spurs finished 20-62 and landed the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, which they used to select Tim Duncan, who became a two-time MVP. Since he joined the Spurs, they have the best winning percentage of any team in the four major sports at .708 (478-197) and three NBA titles.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2002818672_soni21.html
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #33
code green
C's Fan since Dee

code green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation herecode green has an incredible reputation here

I personally like having Doc as our coach, although i can admit he's got some flaws. He's a great "manager" of tlent and does a fantastic job of getting his guys to run through walls for him. He's one of the best in the league at drawing up critical plays during timeouts, and his defensive strategy has improved greatly once he had the chance to work with Thibs.

That being said, I can't think of a worse coach in the league at nailing down a rotation, which is something I've said about him even before the Big 3 era. Again, this is coming from a fan of his.
code green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #34
Punpun
Head Connoisseur

Punpun has not been impressing people

Oh please, it's obvious what happened. Pop the GM wanted to be Pop the coach because he knew he was one of the very best.
Punpun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #35
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1718
He replaced Bob Hill, and I'm still not sure why he was fired. I think Pop was the one that fired him.

There we go...I had Brian Hill (Orlando) in my head and knew that wasn't it. Wasn't sure if it was a Hill or something.

He shouldn't have been fired. They had the best record in the league 2 years before and 59 games the year before, Rodmanless. A bit unfair, tho I guess Popovich thought they underachieved in the playoffs. Pop was the GM/President or whatever.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: