Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: May 4: Floyd Mayweather vs. Robert Guerrero for the WBC and Ring Welterweight titles

who has Canelo fought? stop the madness, the only one of worthy mention is Sugar Shane, but dude is not only over the hill, he's off the hill, on his way home and getting ready for bed.

He's got a nice right hand but that's no where near enough to beat Floyd.

As for Guerrero, I say unanimous decision. I say he keeps up for maybe 6 rounds and then Floyd just out-boxes him the rest of the way. Doubt we see a KO.

Default Re: May 4: Floyd Mayweather vs. Robert Guerrero for the WBC and Ring Welterweight titles

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    He has a 6 month-30 fight contract, he's gonna have too. Plus, he said he's fighting in September.

His next fight will probably be vs Devon Alexander (who he was actually heavily considering before he chose Robert Guerrero), though Amir Khan and Danny Garcia (with a win tonight) are also good choices.

The Canelo fight has to happen no latter than next year, or it won't happen. Floyd will be 37 next year.

After Canelo, he has many options. A dream fight with Pacquiao if Manny starts a win streak beginning with Alverado and Rios latter this year.

Adrien Broner, young pupil meets mentor fight.
    I could be wrong but I have read that Floyd has multiple outs in that new contract and can really fight whenever he wants...although I think his money is maximized if he does the 6 fights in that time period. I just don't see it happening.

Love the under card in this fight.

Daniel Ponce De Leon vs. Abner Mares

Leo Sta. Cruz is the next Antonio Margarito. I think he might win a couple of titles in the higher weight classes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRBewGiY63U
    Last edited by Lebron23; 04-29-2013 at 09:27 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Is the fight gonna be on Showtime?

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    You couldn't pay me to watch Floyd dodge a guy for 12 rounds in route to another decision victory.
    be honest and tell me last time you saw a Mayweather fight. If by dodging you mean moving around alot then i can guarantee you haven`t see a Floyd fight in a very long time

The ghost is tailor made for Floyd. He's gonna get countered all night.

As for Canelo, I don't think it is exactly next. Remember, he has a long contract. Canelo is a risky fight. If anything, he takes Canelo towards the end of his contract.

I hope Devon Alexandar is not next. That is a weak ass fight. But I wouldn't be surprised, it's a low risk fight and he does have five fights left.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Is the fight gonna be on Showtime?
    PPV.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonD13
    that would be my guess. or, if he loses, that british guy
    You seem to have an incredibly low opinion of Mayweather.

And, I don't consider Canelo all that "risky." People seem to think he is a lot better than he actually is. I'm not sure where his massive amount of hype is rooted.

There is no way Floyd fights Alexander next...

Lets be honest, his ppv numbers are going to be down for this fight for a few reasons:

1. Less households have showtime still, and even though its a ppv, less people have watched All Access than would have watched 24/7

2. The promotion got off to a very late start.

3. Guerrero isn't a very charismatic opponent..and he stopped doing a lot of interviews after the gun arrest.

4. Marquez killed any possibility of the pacquaio fight so that takes away a little bit of casual fan interest

So his next fight will have to make a big splash..which is why I'm hoping its Canelo...and say what you want about Canelo, but he is a huge star and that fight could potentially be the highest selling ppv ever, and give showtime the boost its looking for after investing so much money into Floyd.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    You seem to have an incredibly low opinion of Mayweather.

And, I don't consider Canelo all that "risky." People seem to think he is a lot better than he actually is. I'm not sure where his massive amount of hype is rooted.
    It's not even about him being better than be actually is. Compared to all the realistic options for Floyd to fight, you don't think he's risky at all? Here we have Canelo, who is a natural 154lber. I think it's safe to say that he's a tougher opponent than his last few.

He's just as qualified to get a Mayweather fight as Ortiz and Robert. A better boxer than those two. He's not damaged like Cotto nor is he a lightweight like Marquez.

I still think Mayweather beats him via decision but I don't see it as a walk in the park. I mean, who else is out that is more of a risky fight than Canelo? Or do you think there isn't anybody out there that is a risky fight for Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    It's not even about him being better than be actually is. Compared to all the realistic options for Floyd to fight, you don't think he's risky at all? Here we have Canelo, who is a natural 154lber. I think it's safe to say that he's a tougher opponent than his last few.

He's just as qualified to get a Mayweather fight as Ortiz and Robert. A better boxer than those two. He's not damaged like Cotto nor is he a lightweight like Marquez.

I still think Mayweather beats him via decision but I don't see it as a walk in the park. I mean, who else is out that is more of a risky fight than Canelo? Or do you think there isn't anybody out there that is a risky fight for Floyd?
    Canelo is not a better boxer than Guerrero. He does hit harder though.

have you even seen the Aydin fight??

Edit: plus he got beat up in a lot of rounds by a very weird version of Berto...

I did see the Aydin fight. Yes, his defense isn't great, but offensively he's a solid boxer. His boxing is what won him that fight against Aydin. He's never been known for his power, which shows that his boxing is what wins him fights.

He jumped up 2 divisions and outboxed a much bigger stronger fighter in Berto, on the inside. He can fight on the outside or inside.

Did you not see Canelo get outboxed by Trout? He had no answer for Trout's jab.
    Last edited by Reef; 04-30-2013 at 01:32 PM.

;-)

ok, I guess we have to disagree.
    I had Guerrero losing to Aydin by 1 point, I thought he got outboxed.
    For me, the Trout fight had me thinking damn this kid really is the real deal!

we might find out, there are not too many big names for Floyd to face so who knows
    Don't get me wrong, I think Canelo is the real deal and the top guy at 154. However, he needs to throw more punches and just needs experience. At this point, I would give him a puncher's chance against Floyd. I think Guerrero is more crafty, experienced, and has a higher boxing IQ. I actually think he'll give Floyd a lot of problems and surprise a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondooooooooooo
    we need a Mayweather vs. Canelo ASAP.
    I'm pretty sure its happening after the Guerrero vs Mayweather fight.

I'm positive Mayweather saw hte Canelo vs Trout fight and sees some things he can do to CAnelo

Guerrero will have some success early and that will make Canelo think he can beat Mayweather

I'm pretty excited for this mayweather fight. Mayweather's legs are gone and that is the reason why he's been standing in the pocket more and engaging. Guerrero will come forward and provide an entertaining challenge but once it hits hte middle of the rounds..he's going to realize Mayweather is a lot stronger than he thinks. It'll be Guerrero backing up and Mayeather should put a clinic the 2nd half of the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Reef
    Don't get me wrong, I think Canelo is the real deal and the top guy at 154. However, he needs to throw more punches and just needs experience. At this point, I would give him a puncher's chance against Floyd. I think Guerrero is more crafty, experienced, and has a higher boxing IQ. I actually think he'll give Floyd a lot of problems and surprise a lot of people.
    I think Canelo doesn't punch more because he is scared of gassing. I honestly think he has a limited gas tank. I'm sure he trains hard but I bet you his endurance/stamina will be his downfall.

HE fights at one speed and doesn't have a overdrive mode.