Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 10-13-2006, 07:20 PM   #31
Ricardo Tubbs
High School JV MVP

Ricardo Tubbs has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
So if Luke doesnt do anything more than he has in Clevland you will see what me & fatboy does or will it be another idiot coach who doesnt know how to use this talented basketball player you and others seem to see.

I'll probably say that Doc Rivers is a bad coach…which I already do.

Most NBA coaches simply prefer their backups to be hardworking, hustle guys over smooth offensive players. Boris Diaw, Carlos Delfino, Luke Jackson, these are guys who aren't the most hustling of players but are very skilled. Hell, look at Isiah changing his tune and taking Renaldo Balkman and paying Jared Jeffries a fortune. Look at Scott Skiles completely ignoring Tim Thomas, and how D'Antoni used him.

Many NBA coaches simply aren't very good at making the most of offensive talent.
Ricardo Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:45 PM   #32
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Tubbs
I'll probably say that Doc Rivers is a bad coach…which I already do.

Most NBA coaches simply prefer their backups to be hardworking, hustle guys over smooth offensive players. Boris Diaw, Carlos Delfino, Luke Jackson, these are guys who aren't the most hustling of players but are very skilled. Hell, look at Isiah changing his tune and taking Renaldo Balkman and paying Jared Jeffries a fortune. Look at Scott Skiles completely ignoring Tim Thomas, and how D'Antoni used him.

Many NBA coaches simply aren't very good at making the most of offensive talent.

Luke is skilled at what exactly? Scott Skiles ignored a guy who hated the fact he was heading to the Bulls. He spoke out about having to fight for a starting job and said he expected to start. Almost demanded. He didnt show he wanted to be there from day 1. Then you look at Deng/Nocioni and ask yourself "Why would I want to put up with him?". Luke didnt get treated like Tim Thomas.

I dont think Luke has much offensive talent. He appears to be slower than the speed of the game.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 07:59 PM   #33
cyco127
Local High School Star

cyco127 has an OK reputation so far
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I guess to understand why the Celtics did this trade, I would have to believe that Luke Jackson was half-way worth a sh!t. I simply do not, though.

I mean, if you want a swingman that has the potential to contribute, why not sign one of these guys that is probably about to get cut from another camp? Why not a Matt Barnes, a Rawle Marshall, a Casey Jacobson, a Laron Profit, etc.? Why not a guy that is cheap and has PROVEN that they can come in and play half-way decent at the drop of a hat?

It's lookin' like Matt Barnes is gonna stick (with the Warriors)...

Not that it matters, just thought I'd let ya know...
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:11 AM   #34
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco127

Reasoning?
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:39 AM   #35
Human Error
Proves idiots wrong

Human Error is starting to rub some people the wrong wayHuman Error is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I think the Cavs have gave up on Luke Jackson way too early. Barring injury, he at least has a chance to be a solid role player in the NBA unlike Dwayne Jones who's a very poor man's Yogi Stewart. Jackson is athletic and can shoot and the Cavs desperately need someone who can shoot. I don't know if the Celtics made themselves better by adding Luke Jackson, but as someone already said, having "possibly valuable player" is way better than having "nothing(which can be translated into Dwayne Jones).
Human Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:53 AM   #36
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco127

I ask for reasoning for because the Warriors already have 15 guaranteed contracts.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:24 AM   #37
eboloid
Flash Gordo

eboloid has an OK reputation so far

Some additional info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Windhorst
First off, the Cavs did not trade Luke Jackson for Dwyane Jones.

Well, technically they did but actually it isn't about the player swap. Its about accounting, roster flexibility and granting a player's wish. Let's break it down.

--The Cavs had too many guards and not anywhere near enough playing time. They've been in talks to move one or more of the them for months. Jackson's multiple injuries have both cast a doubt on his future and led by to be passed by as the Cavs have acquired a glut of guards. Jackson had been asking for a trade for the last year or so.

--The Cavs get a prospect in Jones, a guy who is a decent defender and a good rebounder. He led the NBA D-League in rebounding at 11.7 per game last year. There's a good chance he'll be back there this year. Jackson was not eligible to play in the D-League.

--Now the numbers, Jackson will make $2.1 million this season, Jones will make $664,000. To make up the difference, the Cavs sent the Celtics $1.4 million. Both deals are guaranteed. Before the deal, the Cavs were less than a million below the luxury-tax line of $64.5 million. That limited what they were able to do to add to the roster. The Cavs now have more than $2 million under the tax line.

--Being creative, Cavs GM Danny Ferry actually made two deals. He traded Jackson and the cash for a $2.1 million trade exception, which is good for one year. It means the Cavs can now trade for a player worth $2.1 million or less for nothing or combine that in a deal. Then he took on Jones, who the Celtics were looking to move because they want to keep Michael Olowokandi, for nothing in return, which is allowed because Jones just makes the minimum. The NBA just treats it as one deal.

Hope all that explains it for you.

Pretty good for the Cavs that they got a TE out of it, giving them some added flexibility.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #38
sonics0034
Serious playground baller

sonics0034 has decent reputationsonics0034 has decent reputation

Damn, Luke jackson is the future HOFer, and Cavs got ripped in that trade...
sonics0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #39
Señor Cedric
why live??

Señor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSeñor Cedric is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Celtics now have Jackson and Grant to use in a deal. Maybe Ratliff as well.

I really do expect the Celtics to be active at the trade deadline.
Señor Cedric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #40
cyco127
Local High School Star

cyco127 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I ask for reasoning for because the Warriors already have 15 guaranteed contracts.

The Warriors told Andre Owens to go home. So basically he's waiting to be traded or waived... But you're right, Barnes is still somewhat of a long shot to make the team.
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: