Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Default Re: Wilt Chamberlain free throw dunks:

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Support

Look, I don't question Wilt's greatness, I believe he is one of if not the best player to ever play basketball. I am not of his era so I didn't watch any of his games. I question the inconsistency of Wilt's claim to Tex's statement just to prove to jlauber that Wilt is not innocent of exaggerating his tales. MY GOD! Jlauber believes Wilt is a better FT shooter than Hakeem because he made more free throws!

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Asukal
    Look, I don't question Wilt's greatness, I believe he is one of if not the best player to ever play basketball. I am not of his era so I didn't watch any of his games. I question the inconsistency of Wilt's claim to Tex's statement just to prove to jlauber that Wilt is not innocent of exaggerating his tales. MY GOD! Jlauber believes Wilt is a better FT shooter than Hakeem because he made more free throws!
    Co-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    And the fact that winter saw it or is making the claim is the only thing thats giving this validity at all.

But then again, there's been thousands of accounts about big foot. And I still don't beliieve it
    Why do I get the feeling everybody has cherry picked the evidence and didn't read those newspapers.

In 1956:
    1.) NCAA Rules regarding big men (Wilt) included banning free throw dunks are suggested by a committee.

2.) NCAA Proposed rules to stop the big men (Wilt) regarding free throw dunks were voted on and approved by a committee.

3.) Tex Winter claims he's the guy behind the curtain and describes Wilt dunking free throws. He says Wilt took 3 giant strides. Oddly enough this looks identical to how Wilt practices and competes in High-Jump even though Tex Winter doesn't know that nor does he give a flying f_ck about it. It's just some strange coincidence right?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vid...lain-high-jump

4.) In 1989:
    Wilt, independent of any of that, tries to claim he dunked free throws his freshman year for some interview for the LA Time's. Of course, he's going to embellish this in some way shape or form. This is only support that he dunked free throws it is not the tool to determine the specifics of how he dunked them because of his well known and well understood reputation for embellishing.

5.) In 2011:
    Tex Winter once again recalls the event of Wilt dunking a free throw. He once again claims 3 steps - exactly as he did fifty five years earlier. Not only this but now he touches base on the other rules that were changed that involved Chamberlain and they all match perfectly with the actual proposed and changed NCAA rules in 1956

Is it a god damn coincidence?
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 02:13 PM.

3-time NBA All-Star

First of all, I have NEVER claimed that Wilt was a better FT shooter than Hakeem. However, Hakeem, himself was BELOW average. Let's not make him out like a Yao Ming here. So, a 70% FT shooter is somewhat better than a 50% shooter. BUT, Wilt's IMPACT at the LINE, was dramatically better than his percentage. He put opposing players and TEAMs in foul trouble, and he and his teammates benefitted in a variety of ways because of it.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Why do I get the feeling everybody has cherry picked the evidence and didn't read those newspapers.

In 1956:
    1.) NCAA Rules regarding big men (Wilt) included banning free throw dunks are suggested by a committee.

2.) NCAA Proposed rules to stop the big men (Wilt) regarding free throw dunks were voted on and approved by a committee.

3.) Tex Winter claims he's the guy behind the curtain and describes Wilt dunking free throws. He says Wilt took 3 giant strides. Oddly enough this looks identical to how Wilt practices and competes in High-Jump even though Tex Winter doesn't know that or give a f_ck about it. Just some strange coincidence right?

4.) In 1989:
    Wilt, independent of any of that, tries to claim he dunked free throws his freshman year for some interview for the LA Time's. Of course, he's going to embellish this in some way shape or form. This is only support that he dunked free throws it is not the tool to determine the specifics of how he dunked them because of his well known and well understood reputation for embellishing.

5.) In 2011:
    Tex Winter once again recalls the event of Wilt dunking a free throw. He once again claims 3 steps - exactly as he did fifty five years earlier. Not only this but now he touches base on the other rules that were changed that involved Chamberlain and they all match perfectly with the actual proposed and changed NCAA rules in 1956

No coincidence man, Tex was the chair of the Rules committee.

3-time NBA All-Star

In 1956:

3.) Tex Winter claims he's the guy behind the curtain and describes Wilt dunking free throws. He says Wilt took 3 giant strides. Oddly enough this looks identical to how Wilt practices and competes in High-Jump even though Tex Winter doesn't know that or give a f_ck about it. Just some strange coincidence right?

4.) In 1989:

5.) In 2011:

Look, you have OVERWHELMING PROVED Wilt was dunking his FTs, and at worst, he did so with a leap that NO other legitimate NBA player ever has.

Now, the onus is on the "anti-Chamberlain" clan to supply evidence which DISPUTES your well established claims. They NEVER do, nor will they EVER do it.

Once again, we have HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of accounts of Wilt's amazing physical skills, and yet we don't have ONE LEGITIMATE source that actually was around Wilt in his lifetime, that DISPUTES them. How come????

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    Look, you have OVERWHELMING PROVED Wilt was dunking his FTs, and at worst, he did so with a leap that NO other legitimate NBA player ever has.

Now, the onus is on the "anti-Chamberlain" clan to supply evidence which DISPUTES your well established claims. They NEVER do, nor will they EVER do it.

Once again, we have HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of accounts of Wilt's amazing physical skills, and yet we don't have ONE LEGITIMATE source that actually was around Wilt in his lifetime, that DISPUTES them. How come????
    So then care to explain why Wilt claims he could dunk from inside the FT circle when Tex said he started behind the circle?

Also a 70%FT shooter is not somewhat better than a 50% FT shooter, 20% is a big difference. Wilt IS a terrible free throw shooter according to stats. I do agree however that stats can be very deceiving when taking circumstances in consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber

I haven't proven anything. But I have organized the events from the past and presented them. It all adds up. It is getting to be a bit of a stretch to suggest that it didn't happened exactly how Tex describes it... the NCAA rule changes happened exactly how Tex described it and he gives perfectly reasonable explanations as to why. No other athletic big man was going to be in the NCAA at the time to be effected by these rules except Wilt, because Russell and Uhl graduated before the 56-57 season. Why does all of these make so much logical sense?

So then care to explain why Wilt claims he could dunk from inside the FT circle when Tex said he started behind the circle?

Also a 70%FT shooter is not somewhat better than a 50% FT shooter, 20% is a big difference. Wilt IS a terrible free throw shooter according to stats. I do agree however that stats can be very deceiving when taking circumstances in consideration.
    cuz Wilt like'd to add whipped cream and a cherry on top of his stories

c'mon dude quit playing dumb you know damn well this shit makes perfect sense exactly how Tex described it. What Wilt says only curtails as support that this occurred stop taking Wilt's words literally when I KNOW you've called him a liar before in the past. Tex is the man that tells the story. What does Tex say. That's what probably happened - and it probably happened exactly how he described it and not like how Wilt described it. Use your brain.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 02-26-2012 at 02:35 PM.

cuz Wilt like'd to add whipped cream and a cherry on top of his stories

c'mon dude quit playing dumb you know damn well this shit makes perfect sense exactly how Tex described it. What Wilt says only curtails as support that this occurred stop taking Wilt's words literally when I KNOW you've called him a liar before in the past. Tex is the man that tells the story. What does Tex say. That's what probably happened - and it probably happened exactly how he described it and not like how Wilt described it. Use your brain.
    Dude, I'm talking to jlauber. Since he believe everything Wilt said, maybe he can explain the inconsistency.

Wilt was the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by 305Baller
    Wilt was the real deal.

3-step High-Jump champ. 3-step free throw dunker.

Banned

javale mcgee would drop 50 on wilt according to ish

5-time NBA All-Star

In 1956:

3.) Tex Winter claims he's the guy behind the curtain and describes Wilt dunking free throws. He says Wilt took 3 giant strides. Oddly enough this looks identical to how Wilt practices and competes in High-Jump even though Tex Winter doesn't know that nor does he give a flying f_ck about it. It's just some strange coincidence right?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/Vid...lain-high-jump

4.) In 1989:

5.) In 2011:

The most authoritative guy in all of basketball, a HOF, a guy whose credentials had to be impeccable because he was at the head of the most authoritative committee in the sport, speaks on how he made a particular rule from visual evidence. We are supposed to believe that one of the most respectable guys in the whole sport isn't a reliable source.

3-time NBA All-Star

Dude, I'm talking to jlauber. Since he believe everything Wilt said, maybe he can explain the inconsistency.
    First of all, I don't believe everything Wilt claimed. BUT, much of what he gets "credit" for, he did NOT claim. The famous "mountain lion" story, was a second hand account, and NOT directly given by Chamberlain. The famous "broken toe" story was NEVER attributed to Wilt. It was, in fact, claimed by the very person to whom it supposedly occurred.

The "20,000" women? Wilt regretted that claim, and in fact, he pulled that number from a fiend who ran a hotel in which Wilt stayed for 10 days. According to the story, the man counted 23 different women going to Wilt's room in that 10 day stay. Wilt was 48 at the time. He multipled 2.3 women per day, times 30 years (Wilt from 18-48.)

In any case, it was WELL-KNOWN that women FLOCKED to Wilt (and NOT the other way around.) Nate Thurmond told the story, that, after a practice, Wilt asked him what he was going to do that night. Thurmond told him that he was probably going to catch a Kim Novak movie. According to Nate, Wilt told him that he had a better idea. They jumped into Wilt's car (Bentley I believe), and drove awhile. They pulled up to a secluded home, and lo-and-behold, out comes Kim Novak. (BTW, just google her...she was beautiful.) And there were MANY more stories of Wilt's "companions" many of them among the hottest women at the time.

As for the rest...the 500 lb. bench...WAY too many accounts to believe that this was some kind of fabrication. Same with dunking on a 12 ft rim, or touching the top of the backboard, or dunking from the FT line. There was enough physical evidence, including VIDEO footage of amazing leaps by Chamberlain, as well as the well known fact that Wilt was a multi-event track star, who won high-jumping championships (all while doing it part-time and with poor technique.) And why would I NOT believe Sonny Hill or Tex Winter?

Here again, provide me with something concrete that DISPUTES most of these so-called "myths."