Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What are the most respectable finals losses ever?

Losses where you can't be mad at a team for HOW they lost the series.

2005 Pistons for example - Lose first 2 games at SA, come back and win the next two games at home then lose a close game 5 in OT to Horry's clutch shot.

Don't get demoralized by the loss, and come back to win game 6 in SA to force a game 7. Lose close game 7 by a couple possessions on the road. End up losing in 7 to a better team that won more games and had homecourt.

No huge chokes, no letting the trailing team come back, didn't quit and get killed in the last game, fought all the way through just to come up short against a better team.

Can't be mad at that.

1988 Pistons are another example - Steal game 1 in LA, win 2/3 at home to go up 3-2. Lose game 6 in LA with Isiah Thomas having a heroic performance because of a terrible call, then lose in a close game 7. Only thing is they did let a 3-2 lead slip away.

Default Re: What are the most respectable finals losses ever?

'01 76ers & '15 Cavs come to mind. You could probably include the teams that fell to Jordan's Bulls as well

Good mentions so far.

'03 Nets I guess... shit team but won 2 games.

'93 Suns lost the first two home games, kept believing, won 2 of the next 3 even with MJ saying he wouldnt go back to Phoenix, were an MJ 55 pointer away from pretty much pulling off all 3 straight, had Chuck saying they're a team of destiny, God wanted them to win, fell to a Paxson 3... they did as much as they could.

Only thing you could fault the '96 Sonics for is that they turned it up too late, but again, thats just how good the Bulls were, and the Bulls struggling offensively had plenty to do with their D in games 4-5...

However, I do remember watching game 2 I believe it was on YouTube, and the game was in the balance for a long, long time, and the Sonics never did anything with it... wasted a bunch of opportunities.

2015 Cavs are a good one.

2001 76ers is a solid pick too but they did lose 4 straight games and 3 straight home games but they were facing a much superior team so you can't get mad at that.

2003 Nets are a good one too.

I don't agree with the '96 Sonics. They went down 0-3 and got killed I believe in that game 3 at home. The series was basically over at that point.

2001 Sixers. It was closer than people think. Even if the lost 4 in a row, at least they went down fighting. I thoroughly enjoyed that series and still go back and watch it.
    AI in Game 1 was beautiful.

Can't be mad at losing to peak Shaq and FroBe.

2013 Spurs.

I know that they were really close in game 6,
    But to bounce back after that devestating defeat and give it all in game 7, having it down to the last two posessions, on the road.. That's class.

2005 Pistons was a good choice too.

^ They choked in that game 6 though. They literally had the trophy about to be rolled out on the court for them in game 6 and still lost.

They also lead Miami twice in that series (after games 3 and 5) and didn't capitalize.

They did bounce back in game 7 nicely but I can't ignore the blown opportunities.

I would say 10 Celtics but some would say they choked in game 7 leading most of the game. Think 00 Pacers deserve a mention. Gave the Lakers a tough series with a not so talented roster. Shot lights out.

NBA sixth man of the year

2000 Pacers, up 16 in the 3rd quarter in game 6 until Shaq and the refs took over.

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

2011 Heat. It was amazing they even got to the ECF let alone made the finals considering the entire cast was new.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    2011 Heat. It was amazing they even got to the ECF let alone made the finals considering the entire cast was new.
    LeBron was anything but respectable though.

Great college starter

2001 Sixers going up against that Lakers team and stealing one and ruining their perfect playoff run. Couldn't have expected more of them than that but damn that was amazing

Didn't see it but I imagine the Finals where West won the Finals MVP despite losing has to be up there

Cavs in 2015 I'd say as well. Although overrated, Lebron leading that Cavs team to 2 wins on Golden State was really something.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando Magic
    That was easily one of the most humiliating Finals losses of all time

1997 Jazz isn't bad.

Lose the first 2 in Chicago (1 on a gamewinner).

Win the next 2 in Utah.

Lose close game 5 in Utah to the GOAT putting on a heroic performance + another gamewinner.

Lose close 6 to another gamewinner this time from Steve Kerr.

Malone did "choke" away the FT's in game 1 but they put up a good fight against the GOAT team.

I think they would beat a few of the non-Phil Jackson coached champions over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    2015 Cavs are a good one.

2001 76ers is a solid pick too but they did lose 4 straight games and 3 straight home games but they were facing a much superior team so you can't get mad at that.

2003 Nets are a good one too.

I don't agree with the '96 Sonics. They went down 0-3 and got killed I believe in that game 3 at home. The series was basically over at that point.
    yea the 6ers got scraped too hard. I think you gotta go 6-7 to get a respectable loss. And vs a great team, or extra circumstances.

I dunno if any of those fall into that. I think the Jazz vs Bulls had a pretty respectable loss without going 7.

If Curry didn't play like epic ass, I'd say the Warriors last year had a respectable loss. They came so close to winning.

-Smak