Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USA Gangsters

Default USA Gangsters

I have an extreme fascination with African Americans and they're struggle throughout history.

Im also majorly fascinated (and ignorant) by Afro/American Gangs in NYC/Cali and places like that, and im thinking of writing an informative piece on the dangerous places in U.S. in relation to Gangs and what not.

Since im Australian i dont really understand the severity of places i hear of such as Compton and Harlem.

Is it as intensely dangerous around those areas as im lead to believe?

Are there cities/places i should include that i might not have heard of?

Does anyone have any interesting information about the poverty and stuff that surround these people and put them in such a struggle?

Im not sure if this is appropriate to bring up so openly, and i dont intend any racism or to offend anyone so if you have a problem with this thread just tell me and i will delete it with no hesitation.

Thanks

NBA Superstar

Not dangerous, the media hypes them up, while others profit from the thug image.
    Sure, if you go down the wrong street at the wrong time of day you could find yourself in some trouble, but that could be anywhere.
    If you are looking hard enough for trouble you will find it, but if you are keeping to yourself and behaving normally no one will falk with you.

Murder rates have dropped markedly in the US int he last 15 years, while media fearmongering has increased tenfold.

Quote Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
    Not dangerous, the media hypes them up, while others profit from the thug image.
    Sure, if you go down the wrong street at the wrong time of day you could find yourself in some trouble, but that could be anywhere.
    If you are looking hard enough for trouble you will find it, but if you are keeping to yourself and behaving normally no one will falk with you.

Murder rates have dropped markedly in the US int he last 15 years, while media fearmongering has increased tenfold.
    Thanks Izzo,

Its funny you say that, i suspected it was kinda overhyped.

I've heard people say there a buses that drive through compton for field trips that are bullet proof is tourists wanna see what the ghetto is like.
    I didnt buy it of course, but that proves the kind of image that is portrayed for us here in Australia.

I love Melbourne, Australia. I love Australia in general of course, but Melbourne is the place where I first skydived. Man, that's the greatest feeling in the world. Better than sex, if you can believe me.

rofl Jsub.

yeah Melbourne is a great place.
    Its cool that you've been to Australia and liked it, or are you Australian?

Where i live, gangs are a joke. I live in a pretty upper middle class area and its on the beach. A great lifestyle thats for sure.
    Gangs are mainly full of Wogs and they are p***y's anyway for the most part, picking on teenagers smaller than them its pathetic, thats basically why i get so intrigued by US gangs and stuff.

Plus im a huge fan of rap n hip/hop. Its all i listen to really. And im just some white boy with messy long hair lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsh
    rofl Jsub.

yeah Melbourne is a great place.
    Its cool that you've been to Australia and liked it, or are you Australian?

Where i live, gangs are a joke. I live in a pretty upper middle class area and its on the beach. A great lifestyle thats for sure.
    Gangs are mainly full of Wogs and they are p***y's anyway for the most part, picking on teenagers smaller than them its pathetic, thats basically why i get so intrigued by US gangs and stuff.

Plus im a huge fan of rap n hip/hop. Its all i listen to really. And im just some white boy with messy long hair lol.
    What's a wog?

Quote Originally Posted by Young HkM
    What's a wog?
    rofl - it stands for Western Orientated Gentleman i think

In Australia its pretty much used as a derogatory way of describing italians, greeks and people of that sort of descent or similar.

African-Americans are still fighting the racial barrier to some extent.

Latinos and Asian-Americans, and virtually all other immigrants to the U.S. have seemingly bypassed this barrier without as much trouble duet to a variety of reasons that are too much to explain now.

In college, I took a course led by one of the leading black female activists of the current time, and her thesis is "black americans are popularized in mass media for sports, movies, music, comedy, ect to make sure they don't make strides in other aspects such as business, education ect."

There are bad neighborhoods in the U.S. just like anywhere. As a white person, I would not like to be in certain neighborhoods after dark, just as there are many places blacks would feel similar.

There is an underlying tension in many aspects, but it is moving forward slowly but surely.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

NYC is not as bad as it once was. The Police presence on the streets is greater than before.

A place you need to look into is the Cabrini Green Projects in Chicago. I believe they have now been closed and knock down to develope the land but they were one of the worse Housing Projects in the country. The feeling of hopelessness and willingness to do anything to get out was almost palapable when walking in that area.

Banned

stop you live in australia.

im thinking of writing an informative piece on the dangerous places in U.S. in relation to Gangs and what not.
    how do you think you're going to pull that off if you never been to america.

Quote Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
    That's exactly right. Why would you even attempt to write about something with which you have had absolutely no personal experience. Not to mention the fact that the subject has been completely sensationalized by the media.
    Im also majorly fascinated (and ignorant) by Afro/American Gangs in NYC/Cali and places like that, and im thinking of writing an informative piece on the dangerous places in U.S. in relation to Gangs and what not.
    There are many aspects of African-American life that you could explore. Only a miniscule percentage involves gangs and violence.

There exists tons of reference material on the 'net about Black life in the US. All you have to do is look. For example, here's a list of A-A blogs that you might find helpful. Rather than accept the 'mainstream' media's lies, my advise would be to try and find independent sources of material on the subject.

When I visited my ancestral homeland (Greece) I was in an area full of British tourists and one of them pointed at me and said "Look at the size of that (dont remember what word he used but it might have been wog)", and I laughed and said, in my impecable American accent, "that's not nice." Caught him off guard I think.

PS - I'm not that big, 6'2", but I guess I looked big to him.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

related info i believe:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14137625/

Thanks for all your help.

Quote Originally Posted by thenextgreatbigman
    stop you live in australia.

What? and you've never written a report on aspects of other countries?

Half of the **** you do in school is about learning about the world and the different aspects of societies and cultures. Dosnt mean you have to travel to another counrty to see it for your own eyes.