Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 09-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Default I don't think Mark Sanchez is going to be a longterm QB in the NFL...

I look at these rookies or highly drafted young QB's like Cam Newton, Dalton, Bradford, Stafford, and Matt Ryan. They are just completely different confident QB's in the pocket that Sanchez isn't close to being. Sanchez looks so forced out there like every throw he's aiming it more than it being natural and confident throw in the pocket. I mean i thought this was the year where Sanchez might show a ton of improvement and there was talk like he was ready to take it to the next level this year but from everything i've seen he's the same QB from last year. Its just obvious how forced everything from him is in the pocket watching him, and on such a less confident lvl next to the other young QB's i mentioned.

like i said look at all of these young and rookie QB's that have made the transition well, and their pocket presence and throwing the ball is completely different than Sanchez where its way more natural with much less effort on each throw to make plays. Sanchez has much better WR's around him and team in general but he IMO is a major reason why that offense is/will stay mediocre and play not to make mistakes hoping their defense can win them most games. Part of it can be attributed to the Jets defense philosophy where they're happy with mediocre as long as he doesn't turn the ball over but i don't think they'd have that mindset if they weren't stuck with mediocrity.

anyways i had this realization after watching clips of the younger QB's that have really taken off the last few years where you can just see the natural ability and decision-making with the mostly accurate throws. then theres Sanchez where he feels 50/50 on every throw, even if someone is wide open 10 yds across the middle, you just never know if he'll mis-throw it and just so much more effort in trying to get it there. Jets should aim higher since that offense could be a lot better, even tho i have a feeling they're going to settle for mediocrity with him as their QB of the future. i hated how the Ravens were complacent in that regard with Dilfer, even if they were successful, but its that iin the box thinking where its almost like they're not trying to improve. its going to screw the Jets when they play against the top teams with top notch QB's that will pass thru their D, and it becomes a points race.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

Default Re: I don't think Mark Sanchez is going to be a longterm QB in the NFL...

I agree with your main point but with the way the Jets are structured at the moment with Rex Ryan (defensive guy obviously) as HC.. I could see them sticking with Sanchez for quiet a few years now.

Let's face it..they are pretty much designed to be able to win low scoring games where they can get by through a large amount of run plays.
It would be interesting if they brought in a veteran QB to at least experiment with the possibillities on offense..
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
MK2V1GP
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: I don't think Mark Sanchez is going to be a longterm QB in the NFL...

(Even though you didn't mention Josh Freeman) It seems like more and more people are coming around to what I've been trying to say the last 2 years....and that's that Mark Sanchez is at best a slightly below average QB and that he's already reached his ceiling.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

He's a young quarterback who has less than 2 and 1/4 years under his belt - and we're ready to say he's already near his prime and that he won't get any better?

He's gotten better in his first two years in the league, and that trend will continue, IMO this year. He's as proven a quarterback in the playoffs at a young age as anyone. I really can't understand why someone would think a quarterback is near his peak at age 24, 2 years into his career.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
He's a young quarterback who has less than 2 and 1/4 years under his belt - and we're ready to say he's already near his prime and that he won't get any better?

He's gotten better in his first two years in the league, and that trend will continue, IMO this year. He's as proven a quarterback in the playoffs at a young age as anyone. I really can't understand why someone would think a quarterback is near his peak at age 24, 2 years into his career.
Buh..But he's not passing for 400+ yards every game like Cam Newton does.

SARCASM
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #6
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeittothehoop
Buh..But he's not passing for 400+ yards every game like Cam Newton does.

SARCASM

no its more about watching him in the pocket where he's anxious and insecure on every throw vs these other young QB's that seem much more confident. i mean watch Cam Newton, he just sits back with that huge arm and just throws them. granted he's a lot taller so its easier for him to see the field but its the way they are in the pocket that says it all. Sanchez to me looks like the same Sanchez iin the pocket from last year. Where he's so focused in worrying about his throw he's aiming it every time with so much more effort and follow thru. I mean watching Bradford the other night with much worse Oline, receivers was like night and day in comparison to Sanchez. Sanchez exudes insecurity on a lot of plays IMO and overall way more effort in his completions. the other QB's tend to have much more natural ability in throwing it with less focused aiming, and less effort in going deep where there isn't that huge effort in doing it. i mean Stafford throws bombs with little effort, same with Newton. Ryan and Bradford make great reads with generally much better accuracy and again the effort is a lot less than Sanchez. IMO its very obvious Sanchez isn't on track to be any of those QB's, and people keep making excuses for him. It just seems like many of the times you wait on these QB's that don't get it right away or very early, the more likelihood they end up like Alex Smith. its like QB's either get it or they don't, and i just don't see Sanchez getting it anytime soon
Old 09-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
MK2V1GP
NBA sixth man of the year

When people say "Sanchez won road playoff games" or "Sanchez led his team to 4 road playoff wins" -- that is total crap. Football is a TEAM sport. It's the biggest team sport in all of sports.

yes, he had a couple of good games in those playoffs, but lets not act like his fingerprint on an NFL game is the same as Peyton Manning's. if the Jets had a better QB than Sanchez the past two seasons, they probably have a better regular season W/L record and probably make it to at least one Super Bowl.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

How are people making excuses for him? His development curve is normal for a quarterback. He has shown the ability to win football games. He has DONE it in the playoffs, on the road, vs other great quarterbacks. He drove his team down the field for a playoff win vs. the Colts....he outplayed Tom Brady in his own backyard.

He's never going to be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but that doesn't mean he can't be a quarterback you can win with, or a quarterback who can be leaned on to win games.

Peyton Manning had back to back near 20 INT seasons in his 4th and 5th years as starter.....It's OK for Sanchez not to be a dominant quarterback when he has just begun his third year.

Let's not forget Sanchez plays in New York, a historically tough place to put up quarterback friendly numbers.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2V1GP
When people say "Sanchez won road playoff games" or "Sanchez led his team to 4 road playoff wins" -- that is total crap. Football is a TEAM sport. It's the biggest team sport in all of sports.

yes, he had a couple of good games in those playoffs, but lets not act like his fingerprint on an NFL game is the same as Peyton Manning's. if the Jets had a better QB than Sanchez the past two seasons, they probably have a better regular season W/L record and probably make it to at least one Super Bowl.

It is a team sport, but there's nothing wrong in saying Sanchez has proven his worth in the playoffs. He has kept his end of the bargain in those games, and exceeded them in some cases. He's not out there slinging a terrible pass for no reason towards the sideline to get taken back for 6 the other way like Matt Ryan in the playoffs that cost his team momentum and 7 points. Sanchez is a proven commodity under pressure and in big games thus far through his NFL career.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Quote:
How are people making excuses for him? His development curve is normal for a quarterback. He has shown the ability to win football games. He has DONE it in the playoffs, on the road, vs other great quarterbacks. He drove his team down the field for a playoff win vs. the Colts....he outplayed Tom Brady in his own backyard.

He's never going to be Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but that doesn't mean he can't be a quarterback you can win with, or a quarterback who can be leaned on to win games.

Peyton Manning had back to back near 20 INT seasons in his 4th and 5th years as starter.....It's OK for Sanchez not to be a dominant quarterback when he has just begun his third year.

Let's not forget Sanchez plays in New York, a historically tough place to put up quarterback friendly numbers.

the thing is the accomplishments you're giving him are extremely exaggerated to his game, and he's been in a situation where he's been baby'd with his throws surrounded by a ton of talent. he's been as hit and miss QB game to game than most QB's around the league, and those accolades u cited speak a lot higher for him as a QB than he is in reality. like mk2vp said its a team sport of accomplishments especially applicable to Sanchez in the accolades you're throwing at him since if we went by that i'd assume he was at least as good as the other young QB's i've mentioned but he's definitely not. i don't understand how you can pretend to have that same confidence in him watching him play to play. it just isn't there like the other up and coming QB...to even compare him to Peyton is absurd. Peyton might have thrown a lot of int's a few years but ever since Peyton got into the league he was way better of a QB where it was obvious he was going to be great. there is no way you can act like Sanchez has exhibited that in his game play. if anything he's been one of the more carried QB's by his team in the league. he had Braylon bailing him out of bad lob throws, and Holmes piling up his yardage on crossing routes where he hits him on the cut and takes it to the endzone where those plays seem so spelled out for him, but not showing too much natural ability. i just can't tell how much of it is him playing on eggshells scared to make mistakes vs him showing everything he's capable of comfortable. i also hate his mechanics, like he's still got happy feet at times and takes a lot of effort in getting the ball where it needs to be with a long windup and follow thru where i swear he's aiming it rather than it being feel.

i mean i could definitely be wrong but everything i've seen of Sanchez so far i don't see much other than mediocrity at best. its a shame since that offense could be a lot better with a good QB IMO, and they could've been better previous years as well. i mean having Plax, Holmes, and Mason now is a top notch receiver core. even having Braylon, Crotchery, and Holmes last year was very good.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #11
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

It seems like you're hating just for the sake of hating.

Quote:
he had Braylon bailing him out of bad lob throws, and Holmes piling up his yardage on crossing routes where he hits him on the cut and takes it to the endzone where those plays seem so spelled out for him, but not showing too much natural ability.

You do realize that the majority of "big" plays are often the quarterback giving his dude a chance to make a play (jump ball) right? So to discredit Sanchez because Braylon ""bails him out," then you have to do that for every other quarterback who has his wideouts bail them out.

Same with crossing routes. Everyone throws them. If you're going to knock Sanchez for throwing crossing routes then you have to do it for every other quarterback who throws them and lets their wideouts get YAC - which is virtually every quarterback in the league.

Nobody is saying he's a top tier quarterback. He hasn't proven it consistently and it's debatable whether or not he has THAT talent.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Quote:
It seems like you're hating just for the sake of hating.

You do realize that the majority of "big" plays are often the quarterback giving his dude a chance to make a play (jump ball) right? So to discredit Sanchez because Braylon ""bails him out," then you have to do that for every other quarterback who has his wideouts bail them out.

Same with crossing routes. Everyone throws them. If you're going to knock Sanchez for throwing crossing routes then you have to do it for every other quarterback who throws them and lets their wideouts get YAC - which is virtually every quarterback in the league.

Nobody is saying he's a top tier quarterback. He hasn't proven it consistently and it's debatable whether or not he has THAT talent.

they were mis-thrown balls, and no i don't see WR's bailing their QB's out that much. most of the time the good QB's get it within reach of their stride, but some of the ones Sanchez has thrown that Braylon bailed him out on were stuff like way behind him where he somehow managed to catch it over the CB, and i think thats occurred a few times. as for the crossing route it just seems like those are his big plays and very spelled out from the start for him to hit him there where theres very little improvising or 2nd/3rd reads he checking to.

i have him on my fantasy team and have been following him pretty closely as a result hoping he showed a lot of growht this season but i just haven't seen much change from last year. even the way the Jets are treating him its similar to last year. then i'm watching all of these young rookies/sophomore QB's looking great in the pocket and much more comfortable with less effort in making their throws and it makes me really down on Sanchez. i'm in a keepr league too so i've been facing this dilemma of dropping him and maybe picking up someone like Dalton at this point than waiting on Sanchez to become 'that' player.

i mean i guess u can call it hating because i hate the way he looks in the pocket and the way he throws a lot, but i swear its not hating in the respect of wanting him to fail.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #13
JMT
NBA lottery pick

So Sanchez' accomplishments really aren't an indicator of his ability after 2 years, but Newton's accomplishments are an indicator after 2 games?

Not a Jets fan, but I could give a twisted sh!t about how my QB looks throwing the ball or how much the WR have to reach to catch it. Give me a guy who wins. And whether or not you like it, a Jets win is a Sanchez win. Just like every other QB in the league.

I understand Chris Redman has a beautiful throwing motion.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #14
Godzuki
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
So Sanchez' accomplishments really aren't an indicator of his ability after 2 years, but Newton's accomplishments are an indicator after 2 games?

Not a Jets fan, but I could give a twisted sh!t about how my QB looks throwing the ball or how much the WR have to reach to catch it. Give me a guy who wins. And whether or not you like it, a Jets win is a Sanchez win. Just like every other QB in the league.

I understand Chris Redman has a beautiful throwing motion.

not really. Rams win under Bradford generally is more Bradford. same with ATL wins under Ryan. whether you want to ignore it or not, the rest of the team especially in Sanchez's case can make a huge difference in terms of W's, and WR's a QB has makes a HUGE difference as well unless the QB or OC is THAT good....thats not even taking into account the Jets philosophy where they try to lean as little as possible on their QB. also throwing motions and happy feet criticisms are common criticisms of noob QB's.

i don't know why a lot of u are being so defensive or really trying to prove Sanchez is good based on his wins on a already good team before he ever got there, that is predicated on its Defense more so than most teams. To think that parallels every other QB in the league is not true.

if anything seeing him for this long without improving that much, and not anywhere near as much as he talked it coming into the season reinforces my belief he's destined for mediocrity. you have a point regarding the rookies in 2 games but they showed a lot more IMO with their composure/presence in the pocket and natural throwing arm, that Sanchez hasn't in 2+ years.

we'll see i guess over time....but i swear its already obvious if u watch him and have good observational skills.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Before we can really predict the end for Sanchez we have to figure out who the Jets replace him with. As of right now we don't even have any indication that they're looking for this person. And it's because they have been having an acceptable level of success. So long as they are a playoff team there will be grumblings that his stats aren't up to par but no real movement to end his time with the team.

Think about it, do they keep track of the wins and losses for WRs or LBs? Most teams would take Darrelle Revis over him if they were given a choice but we still don't keep track of Revis's w/l record. It isn't fair to anyone and doesn't always make sense but that's how football is.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: