Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default To our foreign posters... If you don't like American football, tell me why...

This has always been a topic of interest to me. Let me first explain that I was born and bred in Ohio, the absolute cradle of American football. The city I grew up in (Steubenville) has a population of 17,000. When our high school football team plays, we get upwards of 10,000 spectators at each game, regardless of the opponent. Big playoff games can draw 20,000+.

The biggest playoff games in the state draw over 50,000 people... and I am talking about high school football.

Ohio State gets 110,000 people at each home game and there is literally a backlist of people in line to get season tickets. They could easily sell 200,000 tickets for every game, even against completely outclassed opposition.

In short, football is religion in Ohio and I cannot imagine a life without it.

This isn't just a phenomena in Ohio. Football has undoubtedly become America's favorite sports pastime. It has overtaken baseball for that title. Basically, America is football crazy.

However, I've noticed an attitude out of a lot of foreigners that gives the impression that they have a general disdain toward the game. There was a regular season game played in London last year and I believe there was a very large, enthusiastic crowd, but from reading some other message boards, a lot of non-Americans just 'don't get' American football.

I know that this board has a relatively heavy population of foreign posters, so I was just curious as to the consensus between them. If you don't like or understand the passion with which Americans follow football, let's have a conversation about why.

I'm not trying to cause an argument, just a discussion on a topic that I find interesting.
    Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-28-2008 at 01:23 AM.

Default Re: To our foreign posters... If you don't like American football, tell me why...

My guess is familiarity. In America soccer is not nearly as widely broadcast as football, baseball and basketball or even hockey. Hell golf is probably televised more than soccer games in the US. In Europe soccer is the most watched sport on TV bar none. I mean why would you like a sport or be interested in it if it's not broadcasted a lot to where you can watch it?

I'm sure there is a complexity to you further than this, but I think this is one of the many things that effect it about forgeiners.
    Last edited by Meticode; 08-28-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Default Re: To our foreign posters... If you don't like American football, tell me why...

I'm obviously not foreign, but the over-specialization turns me off. Third down backs, goal line backs, nickel/dime CB's, pass/run block lineman...Something about it turns me off.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I'm obviously not foreign, but the over-specialization turns me off. Third down backs, goal line backs, nickel/dime CB's, pass/run block lineman...Something about it turns me off.
    I like football, but the time between plays is annoying sometimes. Especially on flags.

Yeah, that drives me nuts. That's one of the things that bugs me the most.

People tend to watch sports that they enjoy playing. At least that's how it is with me with the NFL and NBA.

Or those crazy plays where you're like "OMG, I can't believe he caught that." and the ref is like "Flag on the play, holding on number 57." When Number 57 wouldn't of affected how play went anyway possible even if he wasn't holding. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    My guess is familiarity. In America soccer is not nearly as widely broadcast as football, baseball and basketball or even hockey. Hell golf is probably televised more than soccer games in the US. In Europe soccer is the most watched sport on TV bar none. I mean why would you like a sport or be interested in it if it's not broadcasted a lot to where you can watch it?

I'm sure there is a complexity to you further than this, but I think this is one of the many things that effect it.
    Yes, yes... I understand that. But, I'm not talking about a lack of interest due to lack of exposure. I'm talking about outright disdain.

Like... for instance... I have seen foreign posters on other sites take great offense to the fact that it is referred to as 'football' and their 'football' is referred to as 'soccer' in the states.

This whole thing seems deeper than exposure. There is an underlying sense of... almost nationalism when it comes to putting down American football for foreign sports fans.

See... but those are the intricacies that make it such an interesting game, imo. While no sporting event is anything like war (and I don't want to give off the impression that I think anything compares to that), the strategy involved with American football is so complex, that it can be compared to offensives/counter offensives in a wartime environment.

You have to have the right guys on the field to do the job in certain situations to defend your goal line. Football has become so advanced that if a coach makes one tiny mistake and has the wrong personnel in the wrong position at the wrong time, the opposition will notice it and exploit it.

It has become a very complex game. As simple as it seems (10 yards for a new set of downs... trying to get the ball into the opponents' goal), it is anything but simple when it comes to execution.

Maybe that is why is hasn't caught on in Europe or Asia...

LOL

Ive been to England and Aussie land/New Zealand...........

They look at us Americans using all this protective gear as p*ssys.
    And after watching a live game of Aussie rules Rugby................I see why. LOL

I can understand that, but for true football fans, the time in between plays is spent discussing strategies with friends and then seeing if the coach took the same route as you had predicted.

We have to remember that there are 11 guys on the field, all with specific jobs that change after each play. It takes time to get everyone in order and knowing what they are supposed to be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    LOL

And after watching a live game of Aussie rules Rugby................I see why. LOL
    At the same time, you don't see any rugby players that are 6'7", 280 pounds of pure muscle that can run a 4.5-4.6 40-yard dash.

If football players did not wear protective gear, there would be multiple deaths every week. I'm not even joking. As it is, guys are constantly being knocked out of the league for severe concussions.

Put Julius Peppers in a rugby match and see how many of those guys make it out alive.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack; 08-28-2008 at 02:01 AM.

Reason I think its dislikes it is because its pretty boring. Sure, the game is 60 minutes long, but when it can take 25 minutes to run 2 minutes of actual game time, most people who are exposed to footie, which is non-stop for 45+ minutes in two halves, won't be interested. I mean, you see a 15 second play, if that, then sit and wait for 20+ seconds to see another.

Like... for instance... I have seen foreign posters on other sites take great offense to the fact that it is referred to as 'football' and their 'football' is referred to as 'soccer' in the states.

This whole thing seems deeper than exposure. There is an underlying sense of... almost nationalism when it comes to putting down American football for foreign sports fans.
    Maybe they just hate America.

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Reason I think its dislikes it is because its pretty boring. Sure, the game is 60 minutes long, but when it can take 25 minutes to run 2 minutes of actual game time, most people who are exposed to footie, which is non-stop for 45+ minutes in two halves, won't be interested. I mean, you see a 15 second play, if that, then sit and wait for 20+ seconds to see another.
    At the same time, you may sit and watch a soccer game and not see a single goal. There are huge stretches in soccer matches in which teams don't even come close to scoring and don't even have a chance to attack.

...and I LIKE soccer. I'm just saying, I don't think that is the best argument. Huge plays are broken all the time in football. In soccer, you may watch an entire game without seeing one.

Serious playground baller sawyersauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    LOL

Yeah thats definately a running joke here in Australia. But i think most of us still respect the athletic ability of the Gridiron players. I personally enjoy watching it now and then, although i havent taken the time to fully understand the game.
    Aussie rules football and rugby are two different sports. Rugby isn't exclusively 'aussie rules'. Both are brutal and full contact without pads though.