Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-01-2010, 01:28 AM   #31
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Is hockey the most physically demanding sport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
There are no "plays" in boxing, and boxers do take rounds off to rest. You will see them go into defensive mode in some rounds, and be very aggressive in other rounds.

What i meant is you can't call timeouts at anytime you want to. And no you dont take rounds off. You still gotta protect yourself at all time. Just because you aren't throwing as many punches doesnt mean you are relaxing. In how many sports could you see something as physically demanding as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imZaiGJgbsw

watch the full vid and be honest please
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:35 AM   #32
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
What i meant is you can't call timeouts at anytime you want to. And no you dont take rounds off. You still gotta protect yourself at all time. Just because you aren't throwing as many punches doesnt mean you are relaxing. In how many sports could you see something as physically demanding as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imZaiGJgbsw

watch the full vid and be honest please

Not relaxing but constantly clenching, not throwing punches, and dancing around can be considered taking a round off.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #33
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If Oscar de la Hoya didn't "take off" the second half of the fight versus Felix Trinidad, he would have beaten him.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #34
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Not relaxing but constantly clenching, not throwing punches, and dancing around can be considered taking a round off.

Clenching and getting clinched actually takes alot of energy out of you. Its more of a way to prevent the opponent to throw punches and slow him down than it is to rest. And dancing around isnt as easy as it sounds. That takes energy aswell. There is way more plays off in hockey than boxing. The break between each round is only a minute long and then you are in there for 3 minutes straight
Old 10-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #35
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Clenching and getting clinched actually takes alot of energy out of you. Its more of a way to prevent the opponent to throw punches and slow him down than it is to rest. And dancing around isnt as easy as it sounds. That takes energy aswell. There is way more plays off in hockey than boxing. The break between each round is only a minute long and then you are in there for 3 minutes straight

I used to box for about 2 years. I never got an amateur fight, but I did a shit ton of sparring. I know it's very demanding. I have nothing but absolute respect for boxers. I just think football is more demanding because the collisions are so violent.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #36
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

I agree...but when you clench/clinch [sp] or dance around you aren't getting hit.

I don't know if boxing is the most physically demanding sport but it is up there.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #37
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Having played both soccer and hockey competitively, I have to say that playing soccer requires you being in much better shape to play well. When I used to smoke a lot of chronic I would be dying on the soccer pitch for 45 minutes at a time. Hockey you can be pretty drunk in beer leagues and still snipe ginos.

I went to a Sunday morning cash soccer game for 5 grand still kind of buckled from partying the night before and managed to score on my own net. I know that sounds extremely hard to do but I somehow managed to do it.

But one thing when it comes to hockey, when your playing injured or with a concussion it SUCKS. Every hit is so ruthless and if your not concentrating your usually on the trolley tracks getting run straight to hell Scottie Stevens style.

Football wrecked my neck and back though. So from an injury or physical demand that would probably take the cake. I was a linebacker on top of that, so I was the one doing the hitting and I still managed to get seriously injured.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:53 AM   #38
PistonsFan#21
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
I used to box for about 2 years. I never got an amateur fight, but I did a shit ton of sparring. I know it's very demanding. I have nothing but absolute respect for boxers. I just think football is more demanding because the collisions are so violent.

To be honest i might be biased because im doing boxing too but its true that football has some crazy hits. It depends on the position you play though.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #39
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Purely stamina. Where's the strength, co-ordination, agility?
Isn't there a version where the athletes run, bike, row, swim, etc for hundreds of miles?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:41 AM   #40
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

What about wrestling? Practices are gruesome, probably the worst of any sport. There's a reason why matches are only six minutes long with two breaks.

Water polo? It's pretty much a wrestling match in the water.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #41
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I think you could make a pretty convincing argument for football. Isnt the average NFL career like 5 years long? Rugby and Hockey are good choices too.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #42
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

The_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat coolThe_Night_Elf is considered somewhat cool

For a one time event (to play once) I'd go with F1. I hear it's just so physically and mentally draining plus if you fade and mess up the consequences are huge.

For a season I can see hockey as a good choice. Football is only once a week and playoffs are single elimination. I don't know how a professional Rugby season is like though so I'm interested in what type of schedule it has.

Or screw it! Baseball...Baseball is the most physically demanding.
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #43
zabuza666
Local High School Star

zabuza666 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
Most are picking soley based on physical contact and strength, but what about the cardio? In football or Rugby it's short bursts. Not only that, not every player is in motion. Also the co-ordination and balance. Hockey requires way more of that.

Mate watch AFL
zabuza666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #44
Alan
Good High School Starter

Alan is considered somewhat coolAlan is considered somewhat coolAlan is considered somewhat cool

I'd say decathlon. Those athletes bodies are built not only for running or jumping but they also need strength for throwing and cardio for 400m/1500m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #45
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I still think most of you are just looking at the physical punishment as opposed to all physical aspects

hockey vs. football

strength- football
punishment- footbal
agility- hockey
speed- hockey
co-ordination- hockey
stamina- hockey

The only more demanding football is is the abilty to take punishment and the greater risk of injury. In all other physical aspects, hockey has more.
Every player is invloved in the play on the ice, as well as they all play full throttle, nobody can slack even a little. In football you can give a little slack if you're not involved in the play. Some of the positions don't even require alot of agility, mostly brute strangth.
Plus give the fact that all this is done on skates and the surface is ice.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: