Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Wilt Chamberlain Offensive Scouting Report Project Thread:

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    When he was on Sixers Wilt had a jumper in the paint. It was like an 8 footer, inside the free throw line and it was a straight up or a fadeaway.

I've never seen any video clips anywhere of that shot but a few of us guys have distinct memories of him shooting it over Willis Reed and Bells on the Knicks and LeRoy Ellis on the Bullets. It wasn't anything amazing, like a Dirk ostrich move, you know?
    But it was a real solid part of his game.

It was a counter that he used instead of the finger roll/dunk from the right block.
    Similar to his left block moves, where you didn't know if he was going up and under, or power dunk, or spin, or step back and turnaround fadeaway - but this was done from the right block, where over on that side his main "go-to" moves were the finger roll or dunk. But instead, he would sort of lurch out of the finger roll, take a quick step forward (toward the free throw line), and instead of the pass out to the guard, he would spin back around to face the hoop while leaping for the high release jumper.

He had such a vertical that his release was real high but that shot did get blocked by Bells according to my friend Joey (shameless Knicks fan notwithstanding).

edit ~ also I may have missed it in OP but do you have his finger roll listed? His most famous shot - it was actually a counter and absolutely unstoppable.
    Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Good stuff, both of you. CavsFTW, do you have any 8ft-ish jumpers from the paint that Fresco mentioned? Or do all of those plays originate on the block?

Also regarding the finger roll, in which categories did you mix it?
    I've definitely got his 8 foot jumper from the right block, prior to footage of his championship sixer seasons (and all footage after) he seems to have taken that shot quite a bit as I have several examples of it, however all of them are fading away none are a straight up variant. The finger roll will be put into its appropriate foot work and block side categories, I will try to cluster all similar executed shots down to the fakes and footwork

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    I've definitely got his 8 foot jumper from the right block, prior to footage of his championship sixer seasons (and all footage after) he seems to have taken that shot quite a bit as I have several examples of it, however all of them are fading away none are a straight up variant. The finger roll will be put into its appropriate foot work and block side categories, I will try to cluster all similar executed shots down to the fakes and footwork
    Are any from just inside the free-throw line though as Fresco mentioned? If not, in that case, do you think it's worth it to include the NCAA footage of shots from the high post?

You could put overlay text saying NCAA Footage and note in the description that it was a shot he used (particularly with the Sixers), but there isn't any available footage at the moment.

I can understand if you don't want to do that though, since it's an NBA mix, and college footage wouldn't be against the same defenses.

Are any from just inside the free-throw line though as Fresco mentioned? If not, in that case, do you think it's worth it to include the NCAA footage of shots from the high post?

You could put overlay text saying NCAA Footage and note in the description that it was a shot he used (particularly with the Sixers), but there isn't any available footage at the moment.

I can understand if you don't want to do that though, since it's an NBA mix, and college footage wouldn't be against the same defenses.
    I'm open to the idea, we will see once I get all his nba footage in place I'll skim thru his NCAA clips and if I see shots being taken absent from the nba mix I may upload some to show u guys and ask if u think it should be included. Heck he shoots some jays from beyond the ft line in college if I'm not mistaken not just from inside

I'm open to the idea, we will see once I get all his nba footage in place I'll skim thru his NCAA clips and if I see shots being taken absent from the nba mix I may upload some to show u guys and ask if u think it should be included. Heck he shoots some jays from beyond the ft line in college if I'm not mistaken not just from inside
    Sounds good. As I said though, be sure to put some text in the corner while the college highlights are playing.

Regarding the shots from beyond the line, did he take those in the pros? If so you should perhaps consider giving them the same treatment (again, with some overlay in the corner saying something like "NCAA Footage" with a note in the description). If not, probably leave them out. I'm interested in what Laz, Fresco, and PHILA have to say though, perhaps they know more about whether or not he took those shots in the NBA.

CavsFan...

IMHO, I would definitely add Wilt's college footage in your work. I know the ridiculous Wilt-bashers will scoff at his competition, but as I have stated before, would a world record time in the 100 be dismissed because of lower competition? Furthermore, we KNOW that an NBA Chamberlain just slaughtered his HOF peers on a nightly basis.

The fact was, there is practically no known footage of an early NBA Chamberlain. BUT, in the limited college footage that exists, Wilt is seen hitting TWO jump shots from beyond the FT line, as well as numerous 10-12 turn-arounds.

And we KNOW this much...

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/quotes.html

Carl Braun said "He [Wilt] disorganizes you under the basket the same way [as Bill Russell, on defense]. With Wilt, of course, there's that offense on top of it, which is better than Russell's. He hit on all those jumpers."
    "Yes, Wilt hit on those jumpers...Wilt did come into the league with a good touch from the outside, which made his early scoring that much more significant. He wasn't just dunking the ball then."

--Red Holzman. A View from the Bench. P.70
    And in his 62 ASG, he was hitting several shots from 10-15 feet as well.

Clearly, he came into the league taking considerably more extended shots, than later in his career. His eFG%'s were affected, but then again, at that time, EVERYONE's was. It was a much more brutal game back then. (Incidently, in case a Wilt-basher jumps in...the NBA shot a higher FT% in the 58-59 season, than it did just last year.)

Obviously, as the years went by, he became more selective, but he was still highly skilled thru his 65-66 season, which was arguably his greatest "scoring season"...he just killed Bellamy, Thurmond, and Russell in nearly every H2H, and given the fact that he had averaged 40 ppg against Reed the season before, I think it could be argued that he was at his peak.
    Last edited by LAZERUSS; 01-30-2014 at 12:10 AM.

BTW,

Chamberlain had the HIGH scoring game in every season from '62 thru '69. So if any Wilt-basher claims that Wilt somehow lost his scoring ability (as an SI article reported, and which hit the newstands the night after Chamberlain put up the first of TWO 60+ point games in a matter of a few days)...they would be WRONG. Even as late as his 69-70 season, when his new coach, Joe Mullaney asked him to become a scorer again, he put up 32.2 ppg on .579 in his first nine games, and just before he shredded his knee.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    CavsFan...

IMHO, I would definitely add Wilt's college footage in your work. I know the ridiculous Wilt-bashers will scoff at his competition, but as I have stated before, would a world record time in the 100 be dismissed because of lower competition? Furthermore, we KNOW that an NBA Chamberlain just slaughtered his HOF peers on a nightly basis.

The fact was, there is practically no known footage of an early NBA Chamberlain. BUT, in the limited college footage that exists, Wilt is seen hitting TWO jump shots from beyond the FT line, as well as numerous 10-12 turn-arounds.

And we KNOW this much...

http://wiltfan.tripod.com/quotes.html

And in his 62 ASG, he was hitting several shots from 10-15 feet as well.

Clearly, he came into the league taking considerably more extended shots, than later in his career. His eFG%'s were affected, but then again, at that time, EVERYONE's was. It was a much more brutal game back then. (Incidently, in case a Wilt-basher jumps in...the NBA shot a higher FT% in the 58-59 season, than it did just last year.)

Obviously, as the years went by, he became more selective, but he was still highly skilled thru his 65-66 season, which was arguably his greatest "scoring season"...he just killed Bellamy, Thurmond, and Russell in nearly every H2H, and given the fact that he had averaged 40 ppg against Reed the season before, I think it could be argued that he was at his peak.
    I agree now that the college footage of jumpers should be included, but there definitely needs to be some notation that that portion is from his college days, either as an overlay on the video or in the description. Also, the footage should only be used for types of shots/plays for which we don't have any other footage available.

I agree now that the college footage of jumpers should be included, but there definitely needs to be some notation that that portion is from his college days, either as an overlay on the video or in the description. Also, the footage should only be used for types of shots/plays for which we don't have any other footage available.
    If I do include it it most certainly will have it's own notification in bold text indicating it is not NBA footage. It begs the question, should I include footage of college passing too? I have footage of Wilt running the break off a rebound in college and doing a behind the back pass that leads directly to an assist. Not just any old Zydruns Ilgauskus sized player can do that

I don't have a problem with a "notation" but when a player is clearly comfortable taking, and MAKING, those shots, well, it is what it was.

BTW, his FT shooting form was much better in that college footage, too, and in fact, he shot over 60% in college, and considering that he shot .613 in his 61-62 season, I strongly suspect it was very similar then, as well.

If I do include it it most certainly will have it's own notification in bold text indicating it is not NBA footage. It begs the question, should I include footage of college passing too? I have footage of Wilt running the break off a rebound in college and doing a behind the back pass that leads directly to an assist. Not just any old Zydruns Ilgauskus sized player can do that
    Again, WHY NOT? If he had jumped over the top of the backboard in college footage, but we never saw it again in the NBA, in the 2% of the footage that exists, would we make the assumption that he didn't do it in the NBA?

Oh, and if you BOLD TEXT it...also BOLD TEXT that comment from Red Holzman. Clearly, the assumption has to be that he was routinely making 15+ foot shots in his early NBA career.

lol up to you, but most importantly, we want it to be representative of his NBA offense (we have quotes vouching for the longer jumpers, but I don't know if we do with regards to the passing). If you think it fits in go for it. He probably had even more handling/passing in his Globies days, I wonder how often he utilized that and other such skills/plays in the pros?

BTW, you don't necessarily need a big bold notation. If you want an overlay, a light watermark would suffice I think. Or you could bold it in the description.

Incidently, if you are going to make a notation about his college skills, I would add a comment that, the following footage only depicts about 2% of Chamberlain's NBA career, and in fact, footage from his greatest games is virtually non-existent.

It would be tempting to add Fatal's FLAWED two minute POS video to the beginning of YOUR work...just to make him look like a complete fool.

What is omgili?