Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Countdown to extinction: Only 6 northern white rhinos left on Earth

Quote Originally Posted by TheReal Kendall
    Are you Moe's alt?

Edit: I meant what purpose do they serve. You know like each creature has a role to play.
    what purpose does the grand canyon serve? why dont we just dam up the colorado river and use the canyon to make electricity?

what purpose does a bald eagle serve? why bother banning ddt when bald eagles are completely useless?

the answer to these questions, is that some things have value simply through their existence.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    Eh, I'm pretty sure grass, trees, and a broad number of other species pre-date us by millions of years...
    humans are the end result (so far) of evolution...you could date us back to single-celled organisms

why would you put more relevance on species that have been around a long time without change?

NBA Superstar

**** this world.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Everything is the end result of evolution.
    okay sure...so basing a species relevance based around how long it's been around seems illogical to me. We all come from the same source...(we think)

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    humans are the end result (so far) of evolution...you could date us back to single-celled organisms

why would you put more relevance on species that have been around a long time without change?
    well, in theory, all life is always evolving and it never ends, no? My point is simply that humanity is not the center of the universe or even earth despite our big brains. Humanity is merely a product of evolution. With mass extinctions being common in earth's history, I'd say our days are numbered. But as far as rhinos and other species, it's not some huge volcano or asteroid killing them... it's us... Perhaps it's "meant to be", I could entertain that perspective for shits and giggles, but idk about that

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    well, in theory, all life is always evolving and it never ends, no? My point is simply that humanity is not the center of the universe or even earth despite our big brains. Humanity is merely a product of evolution. With mass extinctions being common in earth's history, I'd say our days are numbered. But as far as rhinos and other species, it's not some huge volcano or asteroid killing them... it's us... Perhaps it's "meant to be", I could entertain that perspective for shits and giggles, but idk about that
    IMO what happens to humans down the road, nuclear-extinction/evolve into grey-aliens, whatever, shouldn't effect how "important" we are viewed today.

I guess your main point is that you don't place more importance on intelligent species vs. unintelligent, and I kind of agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    All species are relevant and equal.

Why do you think a species that had more recent jump in evolution is better?
    I didn't say I do...but the further life evolves the more advanced the species perhaps?

from single-celled organism to - giant flying brain creatures

but I don't really feel like advanced species >

IDK...I feel like I'm a pretty spiritual human but at some point down the line you naturally have to think humans >

If you go far enough anyway

have you ever killed a mosquito?...or stepped on a roach? You don't feel the same repercussions as you would had you killed another human. Because naturally you feel like they are less important.

But we gonna act like the rhino pull out game ain't strong tho

time to get the cloning kit out

I rule the local playground sommervilleCdn's Avatar

Some of you on this board have the mindset, that we are the top predator. Be all and, end all. I don't think that's the case. Rhinos are indeed going extinct because of us... We are encroaching into another species territory and disrupting the balance..who can say how far is too far. Well , with it comes the unintended consequences, such spillover (cross species viruses), that we invariably run into. Look into ebola for example.

If that's the kind o f attitude yall gonna take, well i hope we get some cosmic justice

/asgardian, need to rule us, and show us the true way
    //harmony with nature, kumbaya

I could sorta see the argument that humans are the least important species on the planet. We are outside the food chain and do nothing positive for the rest of the planet. The most important goal should be maintaining life on Earth because as far as we know it is the only planet that currently sustains life.

Agent Smith had a point when he compared humanity to a virus. Our necessity for growth makes it difficult for most other complex life forms to coexist with us.

If humans ever leave this planet and colonize the rest of the universe, any intelligent alien species out there better pray that we dont find any usable resources on their planet.
    Last edited by Nanners; 10-20-2014 at 10:54 PM.

You have to associate a higher level of consciousness with importance I think.

The entire point of life IMO is to experience feelings... Love, joy, happiness, sadness, fear, jealousy, etc, etc, etc... The "drama" of life is the whole point and there is no creature on earth that experiences that drama moreso than humans.

In fact I would even say that the death of a human who is mentally challenged or handicapped is less tragic than the death of an intelligent human because they can not experience life the way others can.

Now with that said, with only 6 white rhinos left, and that species even being somewhat conscious, one white rhino could be seen as more important than one human at this point.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    You have to associate a higher level of consciousness with importance I think.

The entire point of life IMO is to experience feelings... Love, joy, happiness, sadness, fear, jealousy, etc, etc, etc... The "drama" of life is the whole point and there is no creature on earth that experiences that drama moreso than humans.

In fact I would even say that the death of a human who is mentally challenged or handicapped is less tragic than the death of an intelligent human because they can not experience life the way others can.

Now with that said, with only 6 white rhinos left, and that species even being somewhat conscious, one white rhino could be seen as more important than one human at this point.
    eh.. youre just describing mental sensation. What about physical sensation? None of us will ever feel as strong or powerful or as full of life and energy as say a bengal tiger taking down a wildebeast or something