Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 512131415161718 LastLast

Default Re: Absolute Smartest People on InsideHoops

I have no idea how to assess the level of knowledge from posters posting in only or mostly in the OTC... obviously everybody have random knowledge in some specific random non-basketball fields and have great grammar/vocabulary i guess, but thats as far as it goes... many of these "smartest people" mentioned here i have never even seen actively discuss basketball or not seen in the NBA forum at all and thats the only place where i can truly evaluate knowledge (basketball knowledge) from posters in a basketball forum... but i cant possibly mention them all...

Some guys that immediately pop to my mind are Kblaze & ShaqAttack, those are fantastic basketball minds.

I haven't been on this site long enough to fully assess someone's intelligence. You have to define what intelligence really is. Intelligence, to me, does not mean someone can regurgitate information; sure some people might know a lot of things, but that does not make them smart especially when a quick google search can bring up any information, so a guy like KevinNYC should be quickly eliminated. I won't hate on KevNYC too much though because he did write a conspiracy satire that I thought was creative, but other than that one moment of intellect, he's pretty stupid overall.

I would say a guy like Pauk is intelligent; he has the ability to elaborate and convey his thoughts in long elaborate paragraphs. You can add that kid Sourpatchkid, Rake and JMT, y'know, guys who have the ability to put thoughts into words a lot better than most people who are usually verbally handicapped and can only stick to one liners. I think that is a gift and something that many people can't do, heck, some people in here can't even read more than one line (and are happy to admit so), so you know they are automatically dumb as f*ck.

I don't like guys who have a thesaurus handy to try to sound smart because conceptual thinking (the ability to understand the whole idea) is a lot higher level of thinking than merely using big words. Sometimes people might sound smart because they use fancy "mysterious" vocabularies but they tend to miss the conceptual meaning because they get too wind up with trying to sound smart. The truly smart guys are the ones who use simple words but the idea is big.

I also like that "aha" moment where a person says something you have never heard before; Myth, Iamgine, MillerTime and Nanners have done it a couple of times, but for the most part, they haven't done it enough for me to consider them full blown intelligent, but the fact they are the few who did it for me gives me a level of respect for them although I might not agree with them and actually think Myth is a douche and Iamgine is a closet homosexual.

And really, guys with too much green bars are usually stupid because they can't convey their opinions with honesty. They are trying too hard to be with the "in crowd" and I think that hampers their intellectual capacity.

Overall though, there are more dumb posters in here than smart ones: guys like Nathanjizzle and others spring to mind. They have this ghetto gene in them that makes them ghetto minded and usually this mindset means a lack of education. They speak only from emotions and can't express their thoughts in a coherent intellectual way.

I like to use vulgar language to elicit an emotional response from them as the start of their premise. Usually when they speak from emotions they can't think with logic and they fall for it everytime, so it's fairly easy to find flaws in their argument. Sad thing is they are too stupid to figure it out and actually get mad and their last resort is to cry to the mods without ever realizing what the fallacy in their argument started with. Haha.
    Last edited by IamRAMBO24; 02-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Very good NBA starter

the absolutely smartest person on insidehoops is the poster who never wastes a minute of his life over here...

the rest of us will never be as smart as that guy.

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IamRAMBO24
    I also like that "aha" moment where a person says something you have never heard before; Myth, Iamgine, and Nanners have done it a couple of times, but for the most part, they haven't done it enough for me to consider them full blown intelligent, but the fact they are the few who did it for me gives me a level of respect for them although I might not agree with them and actually think Myth is a douche and Iamgine is a closet homosexual.
    Aww you took me out and replaced me with Iamgine and Nanners

Does that mean I've never made you "aha" or does it mean you consider me full blown intelligent and therefore not a part of that group? I'm pretty sure it is the second one!

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    Aww you took me out and replaced me with Iamgine and Nanners

Does that mean I've never made you "aha" or does it mean you consider me full blown intelligent and therefore not a part of that group? I'm pretty sure it is the second one!
    Haha I deleted it on accident when I went back to edit that sentence. I'll give you credit, you gave me a few aha moments. Kudos.

Being a computer scientist and engineer. I would say i am "the" absolute smartest person on ISH!

Quote Originally Posted by Bladers
    Being a computer scientist and engineer. I would say i am "the" absolute smartest person on ISH!
    I find people who proclaim themselves as smart aren't really smart.

The start of intellectual thought which lead to modern Science and is responsible for 99% of our intellectual evolution started with a single statement made by one man:

"The only thing I know is that I know nothing."

It is when you don't think you know anything, is when you start questioning and looking for answers. The educational system teaches you the opposite, hence why we have so many dumb kids in our society today. They make up terms such as "objectivity" to dissuade curiosity and then throw in exercises such as "problem solving and critical thinking" for students to find criticism and suspicion towards answers that do not fit in the criteria that they are indoctrinating the students with. After many years of this exercise, students will only take the words of "objective" authoritative figures (government, police, media, church etc). and simply deny anything out of the realm based on an act of habit and no rational thought.

Curiosity is frowned upon amongst students today; most students think being really smart is in memorizing a bunch of facts and knowing a lot of things, but TRUE EVOLUTION OF KNOWLEDGE is really in denying what is consider to be "objective" and figuring something better and newer.

If you know a lot of things and consider yourself smart, then basically you are only regurgitating what everybody else already knows and can probably figure out if they don't know with a quick google search, and if you think you already know it all, what incentive would you have to even question the knowledge being passed down to you.

Try figuring out what nobody else knows if you truly want to be smart.
    Last edited by IamRAMBO24; 02-16-2013 at 12:35 PM.

If you know a lot of things and consider yourself smart, then basically you are only regurgitating what everybody else already knows and can probably figure out if they don't know with a quick google search
    You said every thing right until here.
    No its not as easy as doing a quick google search.
    If it is, why don't you go build a nuclear bomb or go perform brain surgery or engineer a phone or design a innovative software.

Thats what I taught. There are people who devote their entire lives learning and engineering things you take for granted today. These are the real smart people. The nuclear physicists, the neuro surgeons, the computer engineers, and the computer scientists.

Those are just a few, Go study your history. 95% of the technology we have today were developed by "engineers". People who spent their entire life researching.

You don't just wake up one day and make history. Thousands of engineer contributed to the advancement of technology we have today and the standard of living. Whether you look at technology, healthcare, lifestyle, space, etc.

These people devoted their lives to something more than just the norm.
    They didn't do a google search. You can't build a plane by doing a google search. You have to devote yourself to it.

That's why the list in the OP is a complete joke.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I also like that "aha" moment where a person says something you have never heard before; Myth, Iamgine, MillerTime and Nanners have done it a couple of times, but for the most part, they haven't done it enough for me to consider them full blown intelligent, but the fact they are the few who did it for me gives me a level of respect for them although I might not agree with them and actually think Myth is a douche and Iamgine is a closet homosexual.
    lol, should I feel honored or offended?

5-time NBA All-Star

Just found a way to reenact nzt48.

Gonna outwit done folks to get to top 10 fa sho

Intelligence is not the definition of an "aha" moment. Its making a mark on society. Being more than just a regular man.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Curiosity is frowned upon amongst students today; most students think being really smart is in memorizing a bunch of facts and knowing a lot of things, but TRUE EVOLUTION OF KNOWLEDGE is really in denying what is consider to be "objective" and figuring something better and newer.
    You aren't likely to have any great new insight, if you don't learn, and understand what your predecessors discovered. If you can do that, you are really smart, very few people get that far. If you replace the word "objective" with "common sense", or "conventional wisdom" I'd probably agree with you. Nothing of utility can come from denying the objective.

If it is, why don't you go build a nuclear bomb or go perform brain surgery or engineer a phone or design a innovative software.

Thats what I taught. There are people who devote their entire lives learning and engineering things you take for granted today. These are the real smart people. The nuclear physicists, the neuro surgeons, the computer engineers, and the computer scientists.

They didn't do a google search. You can't build a plane by doing a google search. You have to devote yourself to it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    Yeah I hardly ever see you on the OT boards....

But you are one of the best/smartest NBA Posters here...always look forward to reading yo BBALL posts....
    of course u do cuz ure an idiot.

NEXT

shaqattack pollutes the nba forum with narcissim. he cant help himself from all those flavorless 10 paragraph posts cuz insecure losers like phoenixglove fawn over him. the massive length of his posts create the illusion that he actually knows wtf hes talking about. some guy rambling on for 3 pages bout his personal top 10 rankings in 2008 isnt smart. he likes the traffic from impressionables like alpha. rainierbeachphagg0t ran the same game cept he hit on religion and virtue. heroinattack aint got that platform.

Those are just a few, Go study your history. 95% of the technology we have today were developed by "engineers". People who spent their entire life researching.

You don't just wake up one day and make history. Thousands of engineer contributed to the advancement of technology we have today and the standard of living. Whether you look at technology, healthcare, lifestyle, space, etc.

That's why the list in the OP is a complete joke.
    Let me elaborate my position:

I am merely defining my idea of intelligence in an ISH forum. You're talking about some high level college master's while some of these guys would be lucky to get a GED, so if you have accomplish all that, then more kudos to you.

I am directly attacking guys like KevNYC who recites news articles verbatim as his own type of argument. I don't see anything special about this because a quick google search can find any counter argument to anything said in this discussion forum. I do agree with you that if someone is well versed in a subject, they can intepret it in their own words and add something new (the aha moment) with their own angle. That to me is intelligence: it shows the person as someone who has thought deeply enough and is educated enough to formulate a seminal idea rather than regurgitate (at best) what has already been said or (at worst) simply link to a news article using someone else's word.

Quote Originally Posted by Inactive
    You aren't likely to have any great new insight, if you don't learn, and understand what your predecessors discovered. If you can do that, you are really smart, very few people get that far. If you replace the word "objective" with "common sense", or "conventional wisdom" I'd probably agree with you. Nothing of utility can come from denying the objective.

Objectivity has been misused and manipulated to define knowledge as only restricted to certain sectors within the educational system. For example, history in school is being taught as objective, but it is far from that, in fact, I would argue that it is the most subjective topic being taught in the classrooms today since it does not teach from a universal perspective that encompasses all cultures (including that of religion), but a very small segment of American history. Even the media has been coined as "objective" when half of the population already knows it can be full of sh*t sometimes, but the idea has been so ingrained in our minds most people, although they willingly admit what is being presented isn't always true, will, out of habit, accept what is being reported as something not to be questioned. In fact, they have such a disdain for those who question the media, they would attack them with fervor and label them as "conspiracy nuts." It is an act of indoctrination and the root cause is an obssession to the term objectivity.

I agree with you that expounding the findings of predeccessors is essential in the progression of knowledge, but it is the act of denying it is what starts the "curiosity" mode and leads to true learning. If you simply accept everything you learn in school and are being taught not to question but merely to regurgitate it on a test, you are not partaking in the act of true learning set out by Socrates when he utter his famous line, "The only thing I know is that I know nothing." It is in the thought of not knowing is what triggers the act of questioning, but I do agree with you must be well versed in the subject matter before you start questioning.

Even the term "fact" is a deceptive misuse of a term to hamper creativity (which seems to be a goal of the educational system) because the idea a truth is never changing and completely objective is a delusional way of seeing reality: all ideas will change. Newer ideas will come along and replace the old ideas of today. This process will go on forever. So nothing can ever be an axiom or a fact because there are only "temporary" truths.

Education is not the only one guilty of this, Religion does this as well with their all knowing God.
    Last edited by IamRAMBO24; 02-16-2013 at 05:43 PM.