Decent college freshman Duderonomy's Avatar

Default School books really cost $$$$$.

I've been taking night classes for my MBA. Some of the textbooks I needed were $200 a pop. I'm not picky so I found older copies online for more reasonable prices. If these books were a non-college requirement the real cost would be $30-40. What a sham. What I hate most is when you buy the book then the professor never even uses it.

Default Re: School books really cost $$$$$.

Like you mentioned, buying the older editions is the way to go.

Most of my classes asked me to buy a book in the $100-150 range. I would go on eBay and buy an earlier edition for $10-20. Problem solved and the books are almost identical.

I haven't bought any books last 3 semesters. Waste of money and you can find any textbook online for free after some research.

NBA Superstar

I learned quickly to not buy my books until it's proven they're necessary. As mentioned, oftentimes there'd be a laundry list of books that were labeled as "absolutely required" by professors when in fact they'd never end up being used.

I would wait a few weeks to buy my books and if it became immediately imperative that I use one, the library would always have them on reserve in a pinch.

And yes, online purchases are recommended.

So you graduated and probably have had atleast 4 years of college experience and you finally realized textbooks are expensive?

hell yea i haven't been in college in 6 years and it cost about tha same for me like 200, 150 180, I use to hate that, especially around mid term and finals where tha damn bookstore gives you a low amount of money for your books too when you try to sell your books back to them very low amount

Sunshine State

I usually try to get away with not using textbooks at all, depending on the classes I'm taking. Otherwise if I really need to buy a book I usually find a cheaper one online.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

It's embarrassing how we still use textbooks in 2013. School is one thing that technology and time have not changed. People are paying 20k+ a year for formal education and teachers reading out of books, which does not stimulate learning real life experiences whatsoever.

You'll learn more working for a Fortune 500 company in your desired field than school can ever teach you.

Sorry, my little rant on school. But yeah, books are absurdly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    It's embarrassing how we still use textbooks in 2013. School is one thing that technology and time have not changed. People are paying 20k+ a year for formal education and teachers reading out of books, which does not stimulate learning real life experiences whatsoever.

You'll learn more working for a Fortune 500 company in your desired field than school can ever teach you.

Sorry, my little rant on school. But yeah, books are absurdly expensive.
    I feel the same way

ripoff. you can probably find a local place that will photocopy the book for you and put it in a binder for about 30-40% of the cost. I had one during my college days and it saved me nearly a thousand bucks a year.

I've just been torrenting, but I've realized that hard books are much easier to use for online assignments. It's a real pain having to go back between the question and the pdf when you're looking up how to solve something.

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    I've just been torrenting, but I've realized that hard books are much easier to use for online assignments. It's a real pain having to go back between the question and the pdf when you're looking up how to solve something.
    You might want to invest in a 2nd monitor man. Would do wonders for you.....