Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How good is Kevin Love ?

Heard a lot about this guy leading up to the draft, and more still after he got traded for OJ Mayo. Then came the first month or so with OJ Mayo playing spectacularly and Kevin Love not doing much, and people starting talking about how bad a trade it was. Since then though I don't think I've seen him mentioned, even if he's really starting to come along quite nicely.
    Unfortunately though I don't have the opportunity to watch him play very often, so I'm hoping for some input here from those that do.

For the season he's averaging 10/9/1 in just 24 minutes per game, and his numbers are going up.
    Lately he's been filling in at center with Al Jefferson out, and seems to be doing a pretty decent job, with averages of 13/10 in 27 minutes per game. Add to that the 17/10/2 at halftime he has against Utah right now and I think its time to talk about him again.

How good will he be at his peak ? Good enough to make the OJ trade worthwhile ?

Default Re: How good is Kevin Love ?

peak = poor man's tim duncan. 21/12

Quote Originally Posted by Rekindled
    peak = poor man's tim duncan. 21/12
    That might be a bit optimistic, but he certainly does have a nice skillset for a bigman. Defense isn't exactly a strength of his yet though.

lol lmao wtf? : | Big Al All day's Avatar

He's good and getting better. Most rookies this season have had good stretches and then bad stretches. With Love he has just slowly been getting better. He never really seems to take a step back. He never stops working to get boards, and is one of the better offensive rebounders in the NBA.

Right now he has 22/12 against a pretty solid defensive team, Utah.

Good college starter

Kevin Love is getting no love because he started out pretty bad. although right now he is a top 5 rookie. as far as i know he is the only rookie to be averaging a double double since the new year . he is pretty bad defensively though but he is a very smart dude and at his peak i could see him getting 14 rebounds per, not sure how many points though.

Quote Originally Posted by twolvesfan
    Kevin Love is getting no love because he started out pretty bad. although right now he is a top 5 rookie. as far as i know he is the only rookie to be averaging a double double since the new year . he is pretty bad defensively though but he is a very smart dude and at his peak i could see him getting 14 rebounds per, not sure how many points though.

14 per is a little much. I wanna say 10. I mean Dwight is barely averaging 14 (last time I saw). I don't think Love could match that over a whole season.

And he really isn't that bad on defense. The problem is he just getting out matched. He is our center 6'9. Gomes is the PF 6'8. You can't expect those guys to do much defensively.

Edit: nm

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al All day
    14 per is a little much. I wanna say 10. I mean Dwight is barely averaging 14 (last time I saw). I don't think Love could match that over a whole season.

And he really isn't that bad on defense. The problem is he just getting out matched. He is our center 6'9. Gomes is the PF 6'8. You can't expect those guys to do much defensively.
    you think he would ONLY average 10 rebounds a game when he gets starter minutes (~36) hes already getting like 8.8 in 24 minutes as a rookie. in fact if i remember correctly a couple days ago against the raptors the announcers said that he was one of only 5 players ever to get 20% of the total team rebounds for players under 23

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by BigTicket
    Edit: nm
    idk ive been frustrated with it as well. maybe mchale just doesnt want to burn him out

Local High School Star theballerFKA Ace's Avatar

Is Al Jefferson and Dwight Howard realistically much taller than that? Or is Kevin Love a legit 6'7, 6'8"?

He could get 12rpg right now if he got starters minutes, 14 in his prime doesnt seem unrealistic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by theballerFKA Ace
    Is Al Jefferson and Dwight Howard realistically much taller than that? Or is Kevin Love a legit 6'7, 6'8"?
    Kevin Love is 6'8 (6'9 in shoes) and he has a fairly short wingspan (6'11).

Quote Originally Posted by theballerFKA Ace
    I think Love is probably about 6'8. He's listed at 6'9, but he looks an inch or two smaller than Jefferson. But the thing with Dwight is his athleticism, that really helps him pull down boards. Al and Love might not be THAT much smaller but a lot less athletic.

I just don't see him keeping up a 14 rebound pace over an entire season. Now that I think of it maybe 11-12. But I don't see 14. His rebounds will also go down some when Al gets back, Al is averaging 11 boards per.

Peak Stats

21 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 0.9 bpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Peak Stats

21 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 0.9 bpg
    That looks about right. But I think as long as he's playing with Al his stats will be negatively skewed because Al will get most of the looks down low.