Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: What is/was your college major?

Quote Originally Posted by heyhey
    I study math and my hardest course has been topology
    No wonder, that stuff is crazy. Actually most of what you must be studying is crazy.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    That sounds great. I have an internship I have to fulfill at the end of everything, I would have to need to finish all of my classes and have all of the credits before doing so. I attend Laguardia CC, in NY. Is it guarantee you'll get a job with a degree in Criminal Justice?
    I don't think it's guaranteed in anything anymore.

When you transfer to a 4 year school look at Pace and John Jay if you plan on staying in NY. They have good connections as far as getting internships and such in the field. Make sure it's what you want to do before you transfer though. If you plan on doing something more "office-oriented" like paralegal or probation/parole then look all around for schools.

To be honest just watch some criminal justice type TV shows and you'll find an interest somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    They taught you SPSS and not SAS or R?
    taught is a charitable way of putting it, but yeah

Oh the Bealsanity

Health Science

Worst class would probably have to be Ethics in Healthcare. The class itself wasn't that hard but the sheer lack of anything remotely exciting made it that much harder. What a lame class.

Quote Originally Posted by StateProperty
    I don't think it's guaranteed in anything anymore.

When you transfer to a 4 year school look at Pace and John Jay if you plan on staying in NY. They have good connections as far as getting internships and such in the field. Make sure it's what you want to do before you transfer though. If you plan on doing something more "office-oriented" like paralegal or probation/parole then look all around for schools.

To be honest just watch some criminal justice type TV shows and you'll find an interest somewhere.
    Understood. I got rejected at John Jay, I have a few friends that go there, they say it's a good school. I'm thinking more office related jobs, being a cop is so consistent for people these days. Anyone can be one, it's a average job.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draz
    Understood. I got rejected at John Jay, I have a few friends that go there, they say it's a good school. I'm thinking more office related jobs, being a cop is so consistent for people these days. Anyone can be one, it's a average job.
    State cop my man. Especially in NJ (it's tough to get in) you get over 100k a year. Know someone who made 120k last year as an NJ trooper. Check out what it is for NY because idk.

Plus with all the advancement positions in police work it might not end there. Detective work, SWAT team, k-9 unit and such. One of my professors is a Philly cop, SWAT team member, and a UFC referee for pay-per-view events on the side. Dude is badass.

Get an internship at a prosecutor's office (they'll take everybody) and see how you like the office side of the major.

EDIT: http://www.nytrooper.com/salary_benefits.cfm

check what you'd be making after 5 years. look at what you make just in the ACADEMY. then 66 grand you're 1st year.

Like I said, look all over.
    Last edited by StateProperty; 05-26-2011 at 10:19 PM.

WE MISS U CHALMERS :( JerrySteakhouse's Avatar

Civil Engineering - Structural

One more year and I graduate. Bitcch I made straight As, go head and try to degrade us

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    I actually didn't mind the SPSS part. Heck, I was a TA for Behavioral Statistics and had to teach SPSS the same semester I was in Research Methods. I just hate setting up and writing as if I am writing for a peer reviewed journal.
    it's much the same in graduate school, right?

i was ok with writing the papers. our projects weren't very good, which i'm sure made the papers more difficult than necessary

Quote Originally Posted by StateProperty
    State cop my man. Especially in NJ (it's tough to get in) you get over 100k a year. Know someone who made 120k last year as an NJ trooper. Check out what it is for NY because idk.

Plus with all the advancement positions in police work it might not end there. Detective work, SWAT team, k-9 unit and such. One of my professors is a Philly cop, SWAT team member, and a UFC referee for pay-per-view events on the side. Dude is badass.

Get an internship at a prosecutor's office (they'll take everybody) and see how you like the office side of the major.

EDIT: http://www.nytrooper.com/salary_benefits.cfm

check what you'd be making after 5 years. look at what you make just in the ACADEMY. then 66 grand you're 1st year.

Like I said, look all over.
    Thanks, your really helping me a lot. I'm a freshmen in college, taking on a Criminal Justice degree was just off of trying to do what's right for the community and for everyone around me. This all sounds really good, the salary these guys are making are really good. And damn, your professor is pretty badass. He's probably rich as shit.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    They taught you SPSS and not SAS or R?
    Yep. I don't even know what that other program is that you are speaking of.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SourGrapes
    it's much the same in graduate school, right?
    Is what part the same? If you mean the use of SPSS, then yes. If you mean something else, you'll have to specify.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Sociology, anyone have any experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    Sociology, anyone have any experience with it?
    Yeah I have my soc degree.

Civil Engineering.

I absolutely hated Dynamics. **** dynamics.

I need help to find every college in US which someone can do a master in management of human resources. Any help?