Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Michael Beasley's ceiling: Carmelo Anthony? (Or even slightly better)?

Quote Originally Posted by beasted86
    Different playing styles. Carmelo is a wing slasher, Beasley is a combo forward who can shoot from the perimeter. He's not as athletic but can shoot better.

I see more Antwan Jamison in Beasley than any other player. People think that's a downgrade because Jamison never led a team anywhere as the #1 option, but we don't need him to. We have Wade to do that, plus hopefully another max free agent in 2010.

If Beasley is giving us a consistant 18 PPG - 22 PPG, and a solid 8 REB - 10 REB, on good percentages... and most importantly can be consistant and reliable in the clutch and in the playoffs while giving solid effort defensively, I'm okay with that.

If he becomes a go to scorer the caliber of Anthony, I'm obviously okay with that also.

Beasley's not as athletic as Carmelo? He had better agility test times than Rose and was pulling out between the legs dunks at training sessions for those who said he wasn't athletic.

The Holy Trinity

Default Re: Michael Beasley's ceiling: Carmelo Anthony? (Or even slightly better)?

Quote Originally Posted by RedZiggyZag
    Nice job reading the rest of the post. But just to add more of my point, Melo was already a pretty good rebounder when he 1st came into the league. 6 RPG as a Rookie, pretty impressive for a Rookie Forward. Always averaged around 3 assists per game since being in the NBA. Most importantly, Melo has always started into this league and has always led his team to the playoffs and win ball games. I don't see Beasley doing that, as a matter of fact right now I don't even see Beasley starting for the Heat. So right now, he's just playing with a bunch of backups in the NBA. Which reminds me of Jose Calderon a couple of years ago when he was the backup of TJ Ford and they all thought he was better than Ford.
    The lesson here is that you overrate Carmelo. Melo's rep still lives off of his hyped-up rookie year rivalry with LeBron, but the reality is that he's at best the DISTANT third-best player in his draft class, and he may even be fourth best.

Melo can fairly be called a top 10 - 20 player in the NBA. That doesn't seem unattainable for a 20 year old with the prodigious talents of Beasley.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RedZiggyZag
    Nice job reading the rest of the post. But just to add more of my point, Melo was already a pretty good rebounder when he 1st came into the league. 6 RPG as a Rookie, pretty impressive for a Rookie Forward. Always averaged around 3 assists per game since being in the NBA. Most importantly, Melo has always started into this league and has always led his team to the playoffs and win ball games. I don't see Beasley doing that, as a matter of fact right now I don't even see Beasley starting for the Heat. So right now, he's just playing with a bunch of backups in the NBA. Which reminds me of Jose Calderon a couple of years ago when he was the backup of TJ Ford and they all thought he was better than Ford.
    I read it, it just really wasn't relevant pass that statement

1. Beasley is a solid rebounder and his play in general got a boost post asb

15/6 in 30 games 25 mpg

Miami's rotation was anything but set, so saying he played against backups isn't correct even if he started a game on the bench.

2. Melo's playmaking has never been a strength because he turns it over just as much as he gets an assist. Denver isn't relying on Melo to make plays. He's mainly just a scorer..now with some improved d that we have to see if it will carry on to this season

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Beasley's not as athletic as Carmelo? He had better agility test times than Rose and was pulling out between the legs dunks at training sessions for those who said he wasn't athletic.
    Melo is better and faster with the ball in his hands than Beasley. I did like what I saw on Heat.com earlier this Summer with Beasley in practice. We'll see this year

No beasley is gna be a better version of antwan jamison..... but no where near as good as melo ..... melo is a top 5 player beasly will prob make some all star teams and mayb one or two all nba 3rd team but that about it which is still a good overall career

and btw i know i am huge melo fan but i also rly like beasley its just i dnt c much for him

Also Melo is a much much much better leader than Beasly im not just talking bout this year but his entire career from syracuse to nba to olympics

he always led his team to the playoffs
    Won the national champ in syracuse
    and was a captain on the USA redeem team

Since when is Melo a top 5 player?

He ain't better than Dirk, Wade, Howard, Lebron or Kobe.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

We have yet to even see Melo's ceiling so I don't know how this thread was thought of in the first place.

The Holy Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Since when is Melo a top 5 player?

He ain't better than Dirk, Wade, Howard, Lebron or Kobe.
    Or Paul. Or Duncan. Or Roy. Or Garnett.

Bryant
    James
    Wade
    Paul
    Howard
    Duncan
    Roy
    Nowitzki
    Garnett

That's nine. MAYBE (a VERY BIG maybe) Melo gets the nod at the ten spot, but he's still got to contend with the likes of Paul Pierce, Deron Williams, and a few others for that slot.

There were a few games last season where Beasley looked completely unguardable, in a Bernard King kind of way.
    So his ceiling is very high, it will depend on his work ethic and mental focus.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

hate to use the word ' up side' , but the fact is Beasley has a very good athletic build that will suit him well in the NBA.
    He is green as grass and only a young guy at what 20

Give him a couple years.

As I said when he was drafted , he will have a long career and probably be a 20/10 guy.
    Next couple years will be key to his development as well as off the court maturity.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    There were a few games last season where Beasley looked completely unguardable, in a Bernard King kind of way.
    I see we were typing the same time - same thoughts (ditto)

i'm just gonna wait to see how good Beasley will be. just by his defense makes me not want to think the he's gonna have any legendary battles against Blake Griffin in the future.

The Holy Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by G-train
    Remember Adrian Dantley?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    i'm just gonna wait to see how good Beasley will be. just by his defense makes me not want to think the he's gonna have any legendary battles against Blake Griffin in the future.
    Let Griffin play a game 1st