Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default "Assimilate to culture/country"

is deemed racist now.

All this crap really needs to stop. People getting so offended now.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 08-31-2015 at 01:34 AM.

Default Re: "Assimiliate to culture/country"

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    is deemed racist now.

What exactly is American culture?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oh the horror
    examples include baseball, our food, our films we produce, our shows we produce, our art and our literature, for example Huck Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird and The Grapes of Wrath.

Banned

This pretty much sums it up for me.....

Individuality: U.S. Americans are encouraged at an early age to be independent and to develop their own goals in life. They are encouraged to not depend (too much) on others including their friends, teachers and parents. They are rewarded when they try harder to reach their goals.

Privacy:
    We like our privacy, hence, 'invasion of privacy'

Equality: U.S. Americans uphold the ideal that everyone "is created equal" and has the same rights. This includes women as well as men of all ethnic and cultural groups living in the U.S. There are even laws that protect this "right to equality" in its various forms.

The general lack of deference to people in authority is one example of equality. Titles, such as "sir" and "madam" are seldom used. Managers, directors, presidents and even university instructors are often addressed by their first or given name.

Time: U.S. Americans take pride in making the best use of their time. In the business world, "time is money". Being "on time" for class, an appointment, or for dinner with your host family is important. U.S. Americans apologize if they are late.

Informality: The U.S. American lifestyle is generally casual. You will see students going to class in shorts and t-shirts. Male instructors seldom wear a tie and some may even wear blue jeans. Female instructors often wear slacks along with comfortable walking shoes.

Achievement & Hard Work/Play:
    The foreign visitor is often impressed at how achievement oriented Americans are and how hard they both work and play. A competitive spirit is often the motivating factor to work harder. Americans often compete with themselves as well as others. They feel good when they "beat their own record" in an athletic event or other types of competition. Americans seem to always be "on the go", because sitting quietly doing nothing seems like a waste of time.

Direct & Assertive:
    U.S. Americans try to work out their differences face-to-face and without a mediator. They are encouraged to speak up and give their opinions. Students are often invited to challenge or disagree with certain points in the lecture. This manner of direct speaking is often interpreted by foreign visitors as rude.

Default Re: "Assimilate to culture/country"

I see. But also as Americans we celebrate diversity which is exactly what has made our country what it is and continues to be today.

Now, what I don't like is when another culture comes here and tried to force their belief system onto us but ALSO us forcing our belief system into them.

I think there's a happy middle ground that we are still fighting to get to as we grow as a nation. In the scope of things the United States is still young

Banned

I see. But also as Americans we celebrate diversity which is exactly what has made our country what it is and continues to be today.

Now, what I don't like is when another culture comes here and tried to force their belief system onto us but ALSO us forcing our belief system into them.

I think there's a happy middle ground that we are still fighting to get to as we grow as a nation. In the scope of things the United States is still young
    In India, two 15 year old girls were recently sentenced to be gang banged and paraded around the village naked because their brother slept with a higher caste girl. We should allow Indians to come to the United States and practice their culture freely. It is racist to force our ideas upon them.

If someone moves to a country, it is up to them to assimilate to that country's culture and society.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanners
    Yarp.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    In India, two 15 year old girls were recently sentenced to be gang banged and paraded around the village naked because their brother slept with a higher caste girl. We should allow Indians to come to the United States and practice their culture freely. It is racist to force our ideas upon them.

If someone moves to a country, it is up to them to assimilate to that country's culture and society.

Don't be silly dude. You know within reason. We can't have people raping people. Even in their own culture that shit is probably not universally accepted.

Don't be silly dude. You know within reason. We can't have people raping people. Even in their own culture that shit is probably not universally accepted.
    I think that's his point, people are THAT stupid, unreasonable, politically-correct and afraid of offending someone. Reason has gone out the door a long time ago my friend.

Edit also, how can something be considered racist if it doesn't mention race?
    Last edited by KNOW1EDGE; 08-31-2015 at 02:43 AM.

Banned

Pay your taxes, obey the laws, and learn the language. That's all the assimilation that is necessary in my opinion.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Pay your taxes, obey the laws, and learn the language. That's all the assimilation that is necessary in my opinion.

Decent playground baller KnittingRyu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    It fascinates me that the US does not have an official language, yet the language we are most known for is super common around the world. We can travel to any country and expect to find people that know English, yet people get frustrated by others not knowing English here.

Quote Originally Posted by KnittingRyu
    It fascinates me that the US does not have an official language, yet the language we are most known for is super common around the world. We can travel to any country and expect to find people that know English, yet people get frustrated by others not knowing English here.

I'm not sure how anyone could move to the States and not learn English. Not only do they make it harder on everyone around them, but they severely diminish their own potential.

If I moved to France, I would learn to speak French, despite the fact that there are plenty of people who can speak English there.