Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: How do you deal with a relative/close friend with a bad attitude?

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    I'm being 100% serious, you need to ignore him completely. Cut him out. If he tries to bitch at you again, beat his ass. Little brothers are the only people you can beat down and not get in actual trouble for it, and they need it the most. I'm fortunate enough to have a great family, but I've also learned that just because someone is family, doesn't mean they need to be in your life. My older brothers beat my ass and I'm much better for it.
    I've been having to explain this to my other siblings. The "that's just who he is" excuse can only hold up so long.

**** 'em right in the ass.

rank sentamentalist

i'm not sure you can teach people to be modest hateraid... it comes with time or it doesn't come at all.

chances are if you or your friends/family haven't been able to put him in his place by now, you'll just wind up making it worse by challenging him. either he feels validated for being right or he feels humiliated for being wrong, and in that case, he'll try extra hard to make up for it later.

even a conversation doesn't address this very easily. presumably he knows he is arrogant, and he probably knows you think he's arrogant too, so telling him outright isn't anything new.

furthermore, if he does listen to you and attempt to stifle his own urge to speak, if he goes out of his way to be nice and accommodating and all that shit... he may well resent the time he spends around you guys, when he feels he can't act like himself because you asked him to change.

the older bro tact is your best bet. probably what you've been doing and maybe you just need to be more patient?

- don't ignore him but do your best never to enable his high horse crap
    - whenever it looks like hes taking over a convo, let him give his spiel for as long as he can, then with the right opportunity change the topic
    - go out of your way to ensure he meets as many other hard-headed people as possible... youve met em along the way, the guys who might not be so smart but their minds will still never change.. might be a glimpse in the future for the young man?
    - fact check his bullsh!t and send him really tongue in cheek emails the day after sourcing your corrections and forgiving him for getting that one wrong
    - tell him to join a debate league / go to law school
    - send him to ish, we'll stamp him back down to reality :p

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Wow. Summed up perfectly. My sister knows everything - went to Harvard for a double MBA etc. But she is such a damn little Napoleon always telling other adults what to do (like hold the baby this way, go help with the dishes, go say hi to his cousin). She does it with good intentions but doesn't realize how belittling and annoying that personality style is. It's hard to discuss it with her because that stubbornness/outspokeness against all odds (poor parents, immigrants, etc) got her all sorts of achievements in life (houses, 300k+ job, etc).

I honestly don't know how to deal with it. She seems to inherently have a different set of beliefs hard wired into her and doesn't realize she values being right/doing things the right way over how she makes people feel. Then, I call her out on it from snapping randomly and she'll cry and get emotional lol.
    long term project

funny story tho and super similar