Page 12 of 91 FirstFirst ... 291011121314152262 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2011/12 Observation Deck

I'm loving the Tigers this year. We're looking good. Granted it's Belmont, but if they stop jacking up shots for a few stretches every game, could be a team to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I know it's old news, but I still think it's so cool there's a Stockton running the point at Gonzaga.
    i only watched one game of his last year, but it was pretty surprising the risks he took. i expected him to be a very cautious low turnover kind of pg, but he really threw some risky passes.

memphis' offense isnt exactly pretty or complex, but they are just too athletic, too big, too talented for belmont.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    I'm loving the Tigers this year. We're looking good. Granted it's Belmont, but if they stop jacking up shots for a few stretches every game, could be a team to mess with.
    Belmont is a good team. I wish people would stop saying stuff like "granted it's Belmont." This was a 30 win tourney team last year that returns basically their entire team. They might be a legit top 25 team. They're already borderline top 25 and have nothing to be ashamed of with an 0-2 start with games at Duke and at Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    memphis' offense isnt exactly pretty or complex, but they are just too athletic, too big, too talented for belmont.
    This. Memphis has a ton of upside and potential but, they are still a very young team, and I'm not too sold on them as a sleeper tourney team come March.

Memphis is a really bad match-up fro Belmont, thus you see a 16 point margin of victory instead of the one-point nailbiter we got when they played Duke. Of course I've also felt Duke might was being overrated the entire offseason. They lost Irving, Smith, and Singler and replaced them with one stud in Rivers. And I'm not even that sold on Rivers, yet. On top of that, they don't really have a point-guard and I think they are going to be in real trouble if they have to rely on Rivers to log heavy minutes there instead of off-guard. And, as usual, they have a big and semi-talented frontcourt but, between the entire rotation, they might know 1.5 back to the basket moves.

San Diego State, who I believe lost essentially all of their studs from last year's team, has hung with Baylor for most of the first half. Heslip (who I think they said is from Canada or has Canadian ties) is 3/6 from three for Baylor. Baylor had built a seven point lead late in the half, but SDSU closed nicely to make it a 32-30 game at the half.

Anthony Jones' athletic ability and versatility has really impressed me.

Belmont is a good team. I wish people would stop saying stuff like "granted it's Belmont." This was a 30 win tourney team last year that returns basically their entire team. They might be a legit top 25 team. They're already borderline top 25 and have nothing to be ashamed of with an 0-2 start with games at Duke and at Memphis.
    Oh trust me, I've been too plenty of Belmont games, and hear about them all the time. but it was a terrible match up. I know they almost upset Duke, and almost did in the Tourney what 4? years ago. But they're a terrible matchup. They lack the athleticism, basically they lost because Memphis wisened up towards the end and stopped taking stupid shots, and played some semblance of defense.

I agree with it being a bad matchup for Belmont. Obviously they didn't have the speed and athleticism to keep up with Memphis for 40 minutes. On the other hand, they match-up quite well with Duke.

beautiful up-and-under move by quincy miller

miller is so talented, didnt force things too much, getting his shots in the flow of the offense for the most part, and looking pretty mature, and a good leader. fraschilla said that he has been great as a leader since he got to waco. im pretty impressed with miller.

Memphis and Baylor may be the most athletic teams in the country.

Brady Heslip must have been inspired by his fellow Canadian Kevin Pangos and lit it up from 3 himself.

Can't wait to see an Acy, Miller, and P. Jones frontline once Perry is back from injury. Either Anthony Jones or Cory Jefferson is going to take a big hit in minutes though. Loving the defense I'm seeing from Deuce Bello.

Adonis Thomas from Memphis is a lot more athletic than I thought...kid's really explosive. Wes Witherspoon looks good and finally healthy. Memphis' biggest weakness will be lack of quality big men IMO. Tarik Black is the only weapon down low and he's undersized.

I know they've done it before, but it's still semi-surreal hearing Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy do a college basketball game. Even more so right now due to the lockout in the NBA. They're calling this one with the same urgency you call an NBA game. Teams get up by 15-20 and you see those leads evaporate quickly all the time thus, they don't necessarily call the game with more urgency, and remain pretty laid back. Texas had a 17 point lead at one point, Rhode Island has slowly been chipping away, and Breen and Van Gundy haven't gotten excited or changed their voice much at all.

Anyway, Rhode Island has some nice looking long athletes. They're hanging tough with Texas there minutes into the second half.
    Last edited by KG215; 11-15-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

I know they've done it before, but it's still semi-surreal hearing Mike Breen and Jeff Van Gundy do a college basketball game. Even more so right now due to the lockout in the NBA. They're calling this one with the same urgency you call an NBA game. Teams get up by 15-20 and you see those leads evaporate quickly all the time thus, they don't necessarily call the game with more urgency, and remain pretty laid back. Texas had a 17 point lead at one point, Rhode Island has slowly been chipping away, and Breen and Van Gundy haven't gotten excited or changed their voice much at all.

Anyway, Rhode Island has some nice looking long athletes. They're hanging tough with Texas there minutes into the second half.
    Baron is an excellent coach. His son was one of the best 3 point shooters I've seen this last decade.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

J'Covan is gonna drop 40. What a ****ing game he's having.

J'Covan Brown can flat out score, 63 points in his first two games...top scorer in the nation this year? Myck Kabongo's a heck of a player too. I was impressed by some of the other freshman - Lewis, Holmes, and McClellan, all long and athletic guys that can score.

Rhode Island has a 7'3" sophomore (Alex Vedder) that's actually pretty mobile around the court...let's see if he's got any skill.