Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: calling fouls

NBA Superstar

Default Re: calling fouls

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    the pick up runs i play at has a no and1 rule, people call foul way less if they think they are going to make the shot with that rule

in general if i get hit on the arm or hand and im not in ashooting motion, i dont call foul. usually only call it when its obvious
    I've played in areas that had that rule too and I've never personally been a fan. I figure if fouls are going to be part of a pick-up game, then so should And1's. Without the And1, calling fouls just becomes one big game of chance. It's almost like, why would I ever call a foul while I'm shooting if it's just going to nullify anything I might be able to pull off through the contact? And if I don't ever call fouls, why wouldn't the defense just hammer away?

I suppose my biggest issue with not having And1's is the lack of reward for an offensive player in comparison to a lack of reason for the defense to not blast an offensive player anytime they step into the paint. There's been times where I've slashed to the rack, been absolutely pummeled, and still somehow managed to finish the shot, only I called a foul mid-shot because... well... I call fouls when they happen... and thus the basket I've rightfully earned is wiped off the board.

And sure, the solution to such a dilemma always seems to be, "Well then don't call a foul." And again, in that case, the game often eventually degenerates into one of us driving, taking a hit (a clear foul, even in streetball), then some people stopping because they're assuming a foul's going to be called, but it's not, but then some people are still playing while some aren't, and people get confused, then we check the ball up anyway.

I think like any other part of the playground fouling system, And1's work best when players are honorable. If someone's just calling fouls all the time, whether we have And1's or not, it's going to be a problem. But if someone is just out there playing ball and they drive against me, and I clearly foul them, they call it, and they still finish? I give them my respect, I count the bucket, and we head the other way. It just seems counter-intuitive to punish a player for calling a foul when he feels it and is still able to finish regardless. Players should be rewarded for such plays in my opinion.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-18-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    the pick up runs i play at has a no and1 rule, people call foul way less if they think they are going to make the shot with that rule

in general if i get hit on the arm or hand and im not in ashooting motion, i dont call foul. usually only call it when its obvious
    We play call your own foul and there are times guys are too quick to call the foul. If I get hit on the arm during a shot and miss then call it but if you bump me when I'm dribbling around you for a layup the foul didn't change the outcome of the play

At my "homecourt" we play offense calls and usually it's that way on every other court I played so far. When some defender does some platant foul they usually call it, too.
    I usually only call fouls that really alter my shot, like hitting my shooting arm on a jumper, or anything that has no business in any kind of basketball like shoving from the back.

If some guy calls too much fouls, that barely are fouls, I start to call every "official" foul to the point the guy gets annoyed by it.

We play And1, but only if defense is up. Meaning if you drive to the rim get hit on your 2 steps call foul and the guy doing the help stops his defense it's no and1. Never had problems with that.