Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    So I'll just leave it at this- the connections to Christianity between religions and philosophies that predate it are undeniable. As Miller Time alluded to before, nothing claimed in Christianity is particularly new or unique and has its roots in older traditions. It is just the continuation of a game of telephone that was started as far back (at the latest) as 1000 BC in Persia.
    This is an interesting video on the history of the Bible and God, I have posted it on here before.

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPfFx9JTQl8

Default Re: The overwhelming splendor and excellence of the Bible cannot be disputed

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
    Surely if he wanted it to be flawless he'd of written it himself
    Why would he want to inspire an imperfect book? The image I have of God is that he is constantly dissatisfied with imperfection. It is essentially the main theme of the book. Yet the book is the most imperfect product produced by God so far.

Although the tree of knowledge and flooding the entire world weren't his best ideas either...

Banned

You've been fighting the bad fight too long man. The mere fact that some things submitted by your sources are clearly bs says something.
    Negro please. Do I have to post your thread where you threw in the towel during our exchange?

You just choose to believe whatever makes you feel good vs what is actually true. Like I said before, that's your prerogative. But don't try to pass off plagiarized mythology as undeniable truth and then dismiss anything that aims to illuminate that as 'clearly bs'.

As a Christian im of the belief that every alleged error, contradiction, accusation of plagiarism..has more than a plausible explanation given a thorough understanding. Keep in mind that I'm not against the idea that God didn't care for a book that was flawless or free of error and I think post two supports that. Surely if he wanted it to be flawless he'd of written it himself
    The legacy, the impact (both on individuals and the world as a whole) of the Bible compared to these books is on another level. That cannot be disputed. If thats what I'm calling splendor and excellence, you must agree. I hate to submit a reply so fast b/c I could never sum its greatness up so quickly. It covers so much ground, really every aspect of life..more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen. I must agree
    You could've stopped right there. That's all it comes down to. You have no interest in truth, you are more than happy to continue on in conditioned belief. Everything you say, hundreds of millions say the same of the Q'uran, or Star Wars or Harry Potter. You like the book, great. But nothing about it's perceived (your perception) 'splendor' or 'excellence' is undeniable or even unique.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    This is an interesting video on the history of the Bible and God, I have posted it on here before.

Part 1

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPfFx9JTQl8
    I'm sure I've seen it before, will check it out again later. The course of religious belief in Judea shifted dramatically after the Hebrews came into contact with the Zoroastrians during the Babylonian captivity and began co-opting their ideas. You still see the fruit of those seeds being planted today, case in point the OP believing things Zarathustra spoke about many centuries before Paul and Constantine.

Gods part in the Bible is the message, and the message is perfect. I've remained that constant throughout the thread
    Well it seems like a poor way to treat a perfect message. It'd be like taking a photo of Scarlett Johansson with a 1st generation camera phone.

Banned

Dawg...One of your sources claimed that Perseus was born of a virgin and you backed that..only to later say that he was born of a virgin in that, his mother was a virgin before she became pregnant with him, smh. This claim holds absolutely no weight. If this is what you call being born of a virgin than I very well may have been born of a virgin

Pretty sure you also quoted sources that claimed biblical cannons were edited at the councils when I'm certain most sources will say otherwise or that it could never be certain.
    Stop it

I provided you sources that showed that the whole demigod being born of a virgin mortal and God was just a recycled Pagan convention, which it clearly is. You spent like a page trying to convince me that there might be a difference between Jesus being born of the God Yahweh and the mortal Mary and Perseus being born of the God Zeus and the mortal Semele because the latter may have involved God-mortal sex while the former was a result of magic. It didn't even matter to you that one of the Church's early fathers, one of its most famous martyrs said in no uncertain terms that the stories surrounding Jesus' life were the same as the life stories of the 'sons of Jupiter' (aka Zeus). C'mon son.

Like I said, I can bump the thread again if you want to retread that road. Just say when.

I ended the thread, no denying that. But it wasn't because you were dogging me or something. You had no interest in admitting to your mistake of a claim, thats not why I ended it either though. I can also admit that you've been fighting in this game longer than I have..clearly you've spent more time trying to disprove the Bible than I've spent trying to prove it. I've said that before. Hell, clearly you care more to disprove the Bible than I care to prove it

You can't admit the impact/greatness of the Bible?
    I can admit the impact of the bible same as I can admit the impact of the movie Avatar. You'd have to tell me what your definition of greatness is.

Eh, its not like the message isn't apparent everywhere its found
    What you mean?

The jury seems to be out on Justin Martyr. I've seen all kinds of things questioning him. That he was controversial...questioning if he was a saint, apostate, heretic. I won't form an opinion on him before I at least feel I know enough about him to
    Wondering what you thought about the videos I posted on the last page?

Do you find inaccuracies in what he is describing?

Very good NBA starter

i see nothing wrong with making fun of someone's religion.

imaging a dude who sees his toilet bowl as his god and he worships that toilet bowl. every morning, he makes a prayer to that toilet bowl, and all his faith belongs to the toilet bowl. granted, he may be a nice person, but he's still worshipping a f--king toilet bowl.

i don't really see a difference between christians and that guy worshipping his toilet bowl.

both believe in the same kind of faith. it doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but they're both funny. if you must respect christians, then you must also respect the guy worshipping his toilet bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by DCL
    i see nothing wrong with making fun of someone's religion.

imaging a dude who sees his toilet bowl as his god and he worships that toilet bowl. every morning, he makes a prayer to that toilet bowl, and all his faith belongs to the toilet bowl. granted, he may be a nice person, but he's still worshipping a f--king toilet bowl.

i don't really see a difference between christians and that guy worshipping his toilet bowl.

both believe in the same kind of faith. it doesn't necessarily make them bad people, but they're both funny. if you must respect christians, then you must also respect the guy worshipping his toilet bowl.
    Hitchens makes a good point on the mockery of religion. http://youtu.be/8t4VhQX5Ckk?t=1m21s

Although the distinction should be made about the mockery of a belief system and mockery of the individual. Those are two different exercises.

"One of the beginnings of human emancipation is the ability to laugh at authority."
    Last edited by miller-time; 01-07-2013 at 02:54 AM.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

I thought most people realized wizards and fantasies weren't real by time they were in their teens?

I haven't watched them, I will now..and this one

If I am to believe that the Bible is truth, nothing like this will ever surprise me as it hints it time and again. Continuing to watch
    So what is your opinion?

You know what I never understood about the major religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam). God decided to reveal his word to some group of special people in those days but how come he cant reveal to us? What makes them worthy?

We are asked to believe in some books that we have 0 clues regarding their origins.