Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Fantasy Basketball Forum

Fantasy Basketball Forum Fantasy basketball message board - fantasy basketball forum

Old 05-21-2008, 01:33 PM   #1
benJAMin
Slap 'em with silence

benJAMin has decent reputationbenJAMin has decent reputation
Default Do you take Baron Davis early next year?

He proved he could be versatile, reliable and a stat-stuffer, at least until the final week or two of the season. But his future looks as hazy as his injury status over the last decade.

Reports abound that Davis may exercise his option to leave the Warriors and become an unrestricted free agent in July. Others state that Don Nelson will be fired and Davis will retain his role with the club. Maybe Davis will even stick in Nelson's doghouse and start the season as a reserve. Who knows at this point?

So how do you draft him this year? Does he go in the second round because of the numbers that he put up this past season, or does he fall because of his injury-riddled past? And do you change your opinion of him if he's traded to another team, or is it just another season of Davis screwing over his owners with constant pains and injuries no matter where he is?
benJAMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

elz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Do you take Baron Davis early next year?

I would but Im trading him before the all star break

too injury prone
and though he made it through one season
guys like him tend to be a risk every yr no matter what
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

If Baron opts out, then I won't take him at all. Not because he's not good, but because I can get a safer play in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. If he's there in the 4th, I'd take him but I will let another GM deal with him. If he does NOT opt out, thus making this year a contract year, then I would look at him in the 3rd round and if there was a PG run, maybe late 2nd as he can put up 1st round numbers when healthy. I would worry about him not being with Nelson's offense though.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Phenith has decent reputationPhenith has decent reputation

Taking all things into consideration, he should be somewhere in the 12th-18th pick range. He has top 5 talent but the drive wasn't really there until this past season and his injury history is scary. On the plus side, he played all season for the first time in who knows how long and it is said that he has finally committed to a year round training schedule to prevent injury.

The contract thing is a whole other story, but he won't opt out of it unless he is SURE he will get similar money over 5 or 6 years(maybe a little less per year than what he would make next year since it will be a longer contract). There just isn't a lot of teams out there willing to offer someone with his background a long term big money deal, especially at a pivotal position like PG.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

His ADP seems to be on par with Iverson... both players will be 2nd rounders next year. I'd take Iverson if he's there... otherwise you let Baron slide to the 3rd.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #6
nkjordan23
Great young streetballer

nkjordan23 has an OK reputation so far

My thoughts on him are last year was huge for him, but it was a contract year. Some people may not have known that and steered clear on draft day. I, on the other hand, did and it was a major help. I picked him up in the 3rd round I believe and at that point, I felt the reward outweighed the risk. The guy was a top5 player for most of the season and remained in the top 10. It didn't hurt that GS was fighting all year for the 8th spot.

Going into this season, I wouldn't make that same move. I think I would only take him if he fell to the 4th round, but even then, it would depend on the other available players. You gotta think though, a player of his caliber in the 4th round, you gotta take your chances. Hes just too good.

Ben, we had plenty of disagreements on his value throughout the season, and I can't argue with those now.

Too big of a gamble!
nkjordan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:55 AM   #7
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

haterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this boardhaterofhaters is popular on this board

This is a tough question. I came late to my fantasy draft last year and i was pretty upset when Chris Paul and Baron Davis were auto drafted as my 1 and 2 respectively. However, Chris Paul was my best and most consistent fantasy player and Baron (though having a few terrible games) overall was one of my better fantasy players as well. However with the tension between he and Don Nelson, and the surrounding trade rumors, who knows what kind of season he will have this year. It's a gamble, and one that I probably wouldn't take but hey, high risk high reward.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #8
Daniel7123
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Daniel7123 has an OK reputation so far

he is a eirly second round player with a lot of injuries draging him right in to being a 3-4 round player
Daniel7123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: