Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Bargnani Trade Rumor Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DJMason
    22 minutes, 0pts, 0ast, 2rbs. Gee, I wonder why there are so few suitors for this guy? I'll still take Boozer and his awful contract for Bargnani who at this rate we'll need to amnesty. Just awful.
    Pretty much what I've been thinking..

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    My point was, getting a Nick Young would be redundant. I guess at the current moment you could call him an upgrade over Ross because Ross has yet to get to the minutes, the opportunity to prove himself, plus he's a rookie. Even if a PG took more minutes away from Ross, the more important thing would be that he'd be taking minutes away from JL3.

Anyways, i came in here to post what I saw about BC:
    I have one thing to say about this:

BC seems to imply that maybe AB would benefit from not being the #1 scoring option on the team. Were his collars done up too tight from 2006-2009? Maybe they were up too high and were covering his eyes during games.

All evidence suggests that Bargs wilts like a delicate flower when he's not the #1 option. Both during 06-09 and now that he's coming off the bench.

I mean, I understand BC is trying desperately to build trade value for the guy, but.... just bite the bullet and amnesty him. Enough of it. Ridding the team of his presence on the court and contract is value in and of itself.

Edit: More than one thing to say?
    Last edited by RaininThrees; 02-20-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Serious playground baller DJMason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RaininThrees
    I have one thing to say about this:

BC seems to imply that maybe AB would benefit from not being the #1 scoring option on the team. Were his collars done up too tight from 2006-2009? Maybe they were up too high and were covering his eyes during games.

All evidence suggests that Bargs wilts like a delicate flower when he's not the #1 option. Both during 06-09 and now that he's coming off the bench.

I mean, I understand BC is trying desperately to build trade value for the guy, but.... just bite the bullet and amnesty him. Enough of it. Ridding the team of his presence on the court and contract is value in and of itself.

Edit: More than one thing to say?
    Yeah... Bargnani is basically playing like we all thought he would coming off the bench based on his first few years. Now the cat's out of the bag for the league and I can't imagine that 29 more games like this are going to help. I just hope the new ownership group is willing to amnesty him if no deal presents itself even in the summer.

If BC hopes to get more than a one year extension we need to make the playoffs next year. In order to make the playoffs we can't spend 10 mill on an all 0 stat machine. It's not that complex a decision.

RT, we all know that BC talks like a politician by now. The nitty gritty of what he was trying to say is that Bargs has a negative trade value right now. He's obviously trying to spin it and say that we still have use for him and that other teams still want him but everyone knows that's not the case. It's either cut your losses or have a 7'0 piece of dead weight that doesn't fit and takes up 10-11M/year of capspace.

Seems he is trying to get the positivity of this Gay trade to overshadow this Bargnani soap opera.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by DJMason
    22 minutes, 0pts, 0ast, 2rbs. Gee, I wonder why there are so few suitors for this guy? I'll still take Boozer and his awful contract for Bargnani who at this rate we'll need to amnesty. Just awful.
    On the positive side, that must be the first time in his career that he has collected more rebounds than points

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by keantona
    On the positive side, that must be the first time in his career that he has collected more rebounds than points
    lol i was thinking the same thing.

the way i see it, Bargnani plays around 20 minutes a game and doesnt produce anything relevant for around $10mil. Boozer plays around 30 minutes a game and produces 16 pts and 9 rebs around $17mil. plus more trade value next year compared to what Bargnani will offer for cap relief and maybe acquiring a lottery pick? if its up to Raptors to accept the deal anytime before the deadline, it would be better to take the deal. IMO its better to pay more to get something than just piss away money. A starting unit of Lowry, Derozan, Gay, Boozer, and Val is pretty good and once they gel they can make 2nd round and some noise in the playoffs. if not this year, next year.

Quote Originally Posted by keantona

Colangelo follows through on his threat (to fans) and keeps Bargnani.

I wonder if they ever entertained the idea of going after Granger. Either him or Gay would have to play PF though. Injury concern too. But with Paul George breaking out he might have played his last season in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    I said this a couple months ago and I still believe so now. Bargnani will probably be on the roster until years end. I mean, BC could always surprise me but I just feel as though he's gonna keep a high asking price and refuse to do a "just to get rid of him and save cap space" move.
    Too predictable.

Believe it or not i'm disappointed. With the Gay move there's no more need for him on our team. There were rumors that the Lakers, Clippers, Bulls, Bobcats, and Sixers were considering trades for him but none went down. The only thing that would make sense to me going forward is to have Bargs back up Val at Center (or start at Center) and to take Gray out of the rotation altogether other than maybe garbage minutes or when we need a hard foul. I'm ok with the Telfair move. At least he's better than JL3. I figured the bacup point if it was addressed at all would be with a cheap move like that rather than a big move like say DJ, Crawford, Bledsoe, Crawford for Derozan, Bargs, Alan Anderson

New roster:

Lowry/Bledsoe/JL3
    Ross/Crawford
    Gay/Fields/Pietrus
    Amir/Kleiza/Acy
    Val/DJ/Gray

Not a bad squad if you ask me. Insert Ross into the starting lineup since JC is more comfortable as a backup anyways. Ross perhaps blossoms as a starter. Bledsoe as a legit/capable backup point. Ditto for DJ, or DJ might even start but either way it's an upgrade and he takes Gray's minutes.
    Last edited by lilbeastnani; 02-21-2013 at 07:26 PM.

^ Clippers would never give up Bledsoe and Jordan for Bargnani and DeRozan.

Quote Originally Posted by Toni
    ^ Clippers would never give up Bledsoe and Jordan for Bargnani and DeRozan.
    Let alone include Crawford

Default Re: Deadline over: Bargnani still a Raptor

Great article here on The Bargnani Problem:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...gnani-problem/

The real kicker is at the end, and is straight, uncomfortable truth (bold is mine):

Colangelo, or whoever is in charge this summer, is going to have to manoeuvre to change much about the identity of the Raptors. Rookies Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross have shown enough this year in limited play to indicate that they could and should improve next year. Valanciunas, in particular, could make the team a lot better as he learns to direct the team’s defence. In addition, another year of the team getting used to playing with Gay and vice versa could make the Raptors better.

But even then, the Raptors’ ceiling appears to be that of a borderline playoff team; that is where the heavy lifting will come into play. The Raptors are going to be over or nearly over the luxury tax, even given the use of the amnesty clause on Linas Kleiza. That means the Raptors will be well over the salary cap, and be left with no ways beyond a trade to dramatically improve the roster.

Accordingly, the Raptors are going to get a good chance to find out what their assets are worth. Valanciunas is likely close to untouchable, but the Raptors have a few other intriguing players, from Ross to Amir Johnson to DeMar DeRozan to Kyle Lowry. Perhaps the Raptors can turn some of those players into more productive ones.

It is just clear that Bargnani no longer falls into that category.