Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 08-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #31
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation
Default Re: Is Marc Gasol Already Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Im not agreeing or diagreeing with you guys. But the college level here is very talented. They might not be pros. Even though half of them get paid on the down low anyways,but that another subject. The players on the college level ranging from ages 18-23. Have alot of talent.

Isnt rubio playing n that league and is only 17? How is he not a kid?

It is not only talent, but the experience the pro players have. If not, every talented rookie could be mastering in the NBA whenever they enter, which is not the case.

Obviously, Rubio is a kid, and sometimes he does things of his age in the court. Which is normal, because his reduced experienced (although he will be starting his third season in the league). But he is in another level with respect to any other 17 year old kid. It is like when Lebron arrived to NBA, yeah he was a 18 year old kid, but far away from the level of the typical player of his age.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:30 PM   #32
Grizzled Mayo
I brick open layups

Grizzled Mayo has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by berraco
It is not only talent, but the experience the pro players have. If not, every talented rookie could be mastering in the NBA whenever they enter, which is not the case.

Obviously, Rubio is a kid, and sometimes he does things of his age in the court. Which is normal, because his reduced experienced (although he will be starting his third season in the league). But he is in another level with respect to any other 17 year old kid. It is like when Lebron arrived to NBA, yeah he was a 18 year old kid, but far away from the level of the typical player of his age.

Man you guys are crazy. College level players here could easily dominate over there. Look at the top ten picks in this years draft anyone of them could come over there and become a star immediately. You cant say that about interational guys. Im not hating on you guys players im just spitting the truth.
Grizzled Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 01:09 PM   #33
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well, Navarro came over here and played in the NBA and had a very good rookie campaign. Had he played in the NCAA, he would have destroyed that league.

The NCAA is amature level basketball compared to professional level basketball in Europe. Pros vs amatures, Men vs boys, it's not really a fair comparison.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #34
jailer
MillionDollarException

jailer has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
Well, Navarro came over here and played in the NBA and had a very good rookie campaign. Had he played in the NCAA, he would have destroyed that league.

The NCAA is amature level basketball compared to professional level basketball in Europe. Pros vs amatures, Men vs boys, it's not really a fair comparison.

Navarro was 27 and in the prime of his career. And he still only played barely above average. If navarro is playin on the college level at the age of 27 and is not dominating then there is something definitely wrong.

I agree that the college level is technically amature. But that dosent mean that there arent certain teams in division 1 that couldnt compete with international teams. Or if you took the all americans and gave them a few months together. Im sure they could beat almost any team on the international circuit.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #35
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
Navarro was 27 and in the prime of his career. And he still only played barely above average. If navarro is playin on the college level at the age of 27 and is not dominating then there is something definitely wrong.

I agree that the college level is technically amature. But that dosent mean that there arent certain teams in division 1 that couldnt compete with international teams. Or if you took the all americans and gave them a few months together. Im sure they could beat almost any team on the international circuit.

I surely agree with that. I'm not trying to underrate the college players or overrate the international players. But still the experience is a major point in favor of the pros. Even if they are less talented (which is generally true if you compare with the all americans, for instance), their knowledge of the game is higher, and they know all the tricks. College players need a couple of years to adjust their game to the pro level, except for very few cases, even top ten draft picks.
Could some college teams challenge some professional teams? Yes, top tier college could do it, but normally not to top tier european teams (e.g. first 8 teams in ACB, euroleague top 16). Is in general the competition higher in college than in ACB or Euroleague? I don't think so. And that's what Gasol has been facing this year (ACB, his team did not play Euroleague, but ULEB Cup, reaching the finals and losing against DKV, Rudy Fernandez & Ricky Rubio's team).
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #36
Ankel Breaker
I airball my layups

Ankel Breaker has an OK reputation so far

man im just throwing my two cents in the ring here. But um dont euro players beginning playing pro ball at the age of like 15. Which would mean that there are teams in europe that have kids playing for them. So yeah by the time they are like 24 they are ready to go to the nba and have more exp. But the college guy that was 7 and played three years college.has now been in the nba for like four years by the time the euro guy is good enough to get in the league. I think the college player would have more exp by the time both players make it in the nba.
Ankel Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: