Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516
    College superstar

Default Re: Interesting Dirk vs Kobe numbers

as much as i like dirk, he is a defensive liablity. always was. just look at the defense without chandler in 09 and 10 and 2012 post chandler

something like 9th ---> 18th

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Here is the best part of it all...

Team offensive rating on/off for their careers

On Dirk 112.4 Off Dirk 103.6
    On Kobe 110.8 Off Kobe 103.6

Team defense on/off

On Dirk 104.9 Off Dirk 106.8
    On Kobe 105.6 Off Kobe 105.5

So not only does Dirk improve the offense more...he improves the defense more.

And to make matters worse...Kobe/Dirk played with virtually the same offensive help and Kobe played with better defensive help...yet Dirk's teams had better offenses and defenses overall compared to Kobe when both were on the floor.

Yet Dirk is a liability? Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    as much as i like dirk, he is a defensive liablity. always was. just look at the defense without chandler in 09 and 10 and 2012 post chandler

something like 9th ---> 18th
    In 2012, after Chandler left, we had the 8th best defense...

In 2008 we had the 9th best defense

Why not true for Kobe? Just look at the defense without Shaq in 05 (worst in league), 06 (15th in league), and 07 (24th in league)

The look at it after Gasol/Bynum declined and left...12 (13th in league) and 13 (20th in league...WITH DWIGHT HOWARD)

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    I hate to break it to you, but if you are 7 foot tall and the next biggest player on the court is Antoine Walker....you are the center. But I guess its cool because you didn't try playing defense that year
    Dirk can't do what centers do. Never claimed he could...

I see your problem now...you want Dirk to fit into the mold of 7 footers when that isn't him at all.

You do realize that if Dirk could anchor a defense like Duncan or some of the guys you've mentioned...he'd have a case for GOAT...right?

Jesus man...the standards for Dirk on here are incredibly high for a player you guys supposedly don't think much of.

And no, I'm not cool with it...04 was a disaster and a complete failure on the part of Cuban and Nelson to build the right team...we had some really nice things going in 03 despite playing some weak players a lot of minutes. We should have built on that and tried to improve our team and continue to play defense and at a reasonable pace. Instead we went the other way and it was a disaster....

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Dirk can't do what centers do. Never claimed he could...

I see your problem now...you want Dirk to fit into the mold of 7 footers when that isn't him at all.

You do realize that if Dirk could anchor a defense like Duncan or some of the guys you've mentioned...he'd have a case for GOAT...right?

Jesus man...the standards for Dirk on here are incredibly high for a player you guys supposedly don't think much of.
    So its cool to compare Kobe to Ben Wallace but If I claim a 7 footer playing center is a center I'm an asshole.

So its cool to compare Kobe to Ben Wallace but If I claim a 7 footer playing center is a center I'm an asshole.
    I was listing elite defenders...which I thought you had claimed Kobe was.

You cleared that up and made it clear that you don't think Kobe is an elite defender.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Audio One's Avatar

Dirk is a 7 foot defensive liability and has been for the majority of his career. One fluke run doesn't erase that.