Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-05-2007, 05:55 AM   #91
Force
National High School Star

Force has decent reputationForce has decent reputation
Default Re: (Orlando predraft camp) Greg Oden's numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water

People with long arm struggle with the bench press, and Durant has extremely long arms...still pretty pathetic that he can't get ONE rep.

Geez, I'm 5'7", and when I was in shape at 165, I could do 185 for 10 reps, maybe for 3 sets.
Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:25 AM   #92
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: (Orlando predraft camp) Greg Oden's numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water

I call bull**** on these tests. The bodyfat percentages that are reported are definitely wrong. 3% and lower is a territory seldom reached by any pro bodybuilder during a contest. There is no way a basketball player will get there.
Now theoretically, essential BF is 2-5%, essential in maintaining life. But at those levels, athletic action is quite impossible, you just lack the energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #93
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I guess the Sonics will still draft Durant at his young age, despite his lack of bodybuilding and track and field numbers, BECAUSE HE IS A FREAKIN BASKETBALL PLAYER. And they wonder why TEAM USA always loses in international competition. Maybe the kid didnīt have the time to eat steroids for breakfast as a kid, because he developed his BASKETBALL game first. Somebody go tell RIP heīs too thin to play in the NBA, he hasnīt gotten the news yet.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #94
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
185 pounds is a joke, even if you have an eleven foot wingspan, so not being able to press it one time is monumentously pathetic.

Nate Robinson could have played in the NFL and he would knock over 99% of NBA players easily if he wanted to. The guys is rock solid.

Kevin Durant played Division one basketball at Texas. They do plenty of weight training, it is not the first time he ever saw a bench. It is stupid to assume that or to think some NBA trainer will be heads and shoulders above a collegiate one. The kid is weak, it will take years to correct, he will get bullied at the next level.

Maybe he didnt lift because he was still growing and didnt want to effect that in any way no matter how small the chance. He did grow an inch over the season. Another reason to realize that this kid is not even close to physically developed. We dont even know if he is done growing yet.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:40 AM   #95
Valliant13
NBA lottery pick

Valliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat coolValliant13 is considered somewhat cool

"My friends brother was pretty serious into weight lifitng and he told me the taller you are the easier it is."

Your friends brother is wrong, and probably a little slow.

Longer arms put you at a mechanical disadvantage when trying to bench press. You are moving the weight farther so more total energy is need, and leverage decreases the further the weight is out from the fulcrum (in this case your elbow). With Durrant giant monkey arms it would indeed be much harder for him to bench the equivalent weight of someone with much shorter arms.

Last edited by Valliant13 : 06-05-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #96
Duck Rodgers
Serious playground baller

Duck Rodgers has an OK reputation so far

Corey Brewer is a bit smaller than I expected. Kid looked as tall as KD on T.V. to me. His wingspan isn't even that great. Probably because he is so damn skinny.
Duck Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #97
gb8
Extra Cheese

gb8 has an OK reputation so far

I suck at the bench press have real real bad form and would sruggle to do that free weights. I do have long arms that hyper extend slightly so maybe that is a reason. I can easily do oer 200 lbs on a bench machine though.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #98
bomber
Good college starter

bomber has decent reputationbomber has decent reputation

Quote:
I can easily do oer 200 lbs on a bench machine though

Machine is they key word there.
bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #99
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
Maybe he didnt lift because he was still growing and didnt want to effect that in any way no matter how small the chance. He did grow an inch over the season. Another reason to realize that this kid is not even close to physically developed. We dont even know if he is done growing yet.

185 is a joke

it is really pathetic, that is the whole point.

It is bad for a college freshman, let alone a world class athlete
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #100
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

I'd like to point out, again, that no one actually knows what happened during the workout. It is entirely possible that he did reps and had them DQ'ed.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:11 PM   #101
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
I dunno, maybe because taller people have to travel a further distance. But I could just be making sh*t up, I honestly have no idea.

It is totally a myth. With proper training, it makes no difference how tall you are. If you have ever seen those world strongest man competitions, most of those guys are 6'3 6'4 6'5. There is no excuse for a grown azz man with access to a world class facility like the U of T weight room, to not to be able to bench 185 lbs. I blame his agent. He should have sent him to a trainer for the past 3 months rather than doing espn interviews.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:17 PM   #102
hwliuLAP
Local High School Star

hwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected posterhwliuLAP is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
I call bull**** on these tests. The bodyfat percentages that are reported are definitely wrong. 3% and lower is a territory seldom reached by any pro bodybuilder during a contest. There is no way a basketball player will get there.
Now theoretically, essential BF is 2-5%, essential in maintaining life. But at those levels, athletic action is quite impossible, you just lack the energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_fat_percentage

my friend who's a personal trainer major has a body fat between 6-7%
hwliuLAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:10 PM   #103
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.

So what is your point?
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #104
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm beginning to hate seeing weightlifting discussions on ISH. Someone probably read "weightlifting is easier if you're taller" and believed it. For that reason alone, this thread should be deleted.

Anyway, it'd be good if Durant was stronger but if GMs are smart they won't make too big a deal out of his bench. The odds are he's just someone that's never done serious weight training before, and if you're not used to lifting then the first time you do it you're not going to be impressive. Throw in that he's got that crazy 7'4 wingspan and only weighs 215 and it's not that shocking. I can bench 275 now, but the first time I tried it I was 155 lbs. with a 6'3" wingspan and couldn't even do 115 once. Durant probably has no kind of form, muscles that aren't used to the strain, and uneven upper body strength (right side stronger than left side, if he's a righty, which I think he is) all of which can contribute to an embarrassing performance. I know that's what happened to me the first time I tried the bench.

But I wouldn't mind seeing him slide to #5 over his poor performance...
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #105
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

Real Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableReal Men Wear Green is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
I'd like to point out, again, that no one actually knows what happened during the workout. It is entirely possible that he did reps and had them DQ'ed.
I doubt that, the NBA is too smart about evaluating prospects to call him a weakling over a technicality. It's more likely that he just fell victim to being a beginner. Which would reflect poorly on his trainers, if he has any.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: