Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Phenom
Supreme Living Legend

Phenom has an OK reputation so far
Exclamation I don't buy it was one isolated event.

That these were the actions of one lone ref. That the idea of a ref being able to "fix" or "determine" the outcome of a game is so unheard of. Given the disparity of free throws between some teams, player favoritism, some teams having more clout than others, if the NBA wants to escape this unscathed and not have games scrutinized and there be a shadow looming over later games, they need to add video replay not only for buzzer beaters, but for calls inside the 2 minute mark of every quarter, and coach's challenges.

It's unfair that on the court a raferee's whistle is law and once it blows that's the last word on it. Coach's challenges would heavily tilt the scales in the favor of fair competition. And also cut down on those gimpy "make-up" calls that are even worse than the original blown call to begin with. If anything positive should come out of this scandal, it should be the NBA instituting a competition committee similar to the NFL. It may look like a copycat, but I think a lot of fans would like to finally see the rumors of the NBA being a tainted product laid to rest.

the Bat
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #2
lurch67
Caution: Adult Content

lurch67 has decent reputation
Default Re: I don't buy it was one isolated event.

It wasn't so much of seeing who won or lost, but more of the fact of giving info of importance. Say someone is betting the over/under on the Nuggets and Cavs game. AI has been ill/injured and gets scratched before the game. That changes the outcome of the final score. The refs. are privy to this and the ref calls the bookie and shares the info.
He also has the power to change the spread. He gets told, by the people he's in debt to, how they want the spread to land depending on their betting line. One team starts getting outside of that margine and cheap fouls and violations start coming up. Or if it's going the way he needs, then he doesn't blow the whistle when he should.
I really hope that it is just one bad ref, and not a corrupt system.
lurch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Wo1fshadow
I brick open layups

Wo1fshadow has an OK reputation so far

It happens, not just in basketball, but in all sports, happens once in a while.
Wo1fshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Phenom
Supreme Living Legend

Phenom has an OK reputation so far

Yeah but imagine if refs started calling holding calls like the refs do blocking fouls in the nba. Or if a shooting foul was called like refs call pass interference. Calls in the NBA are left up to a ref's complete discretion. Unlike in the NFL where contact is contact. Not excessive contact, or superstar treatment, but you touch a player while the ball is play and it's a penalty. Unlike in basketball where a player can get mauled and there's no whistle blown but a player can initiate the contact and draw a foul on the other end. I want some consistency. I want coach's being able to challenge calls. I guarantee if a referee has the chance of his call being overturned, they don't make half the bs calls that are made and we see a much fairer, cleaner game.
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #5
bringthetruth
Banned

bringthetruth has no real reputation yet.

When David "the don" Stern came out and called Donaghy a rogue ref and said he believed it was an isolated case RED FLAGS went up for me right there.
How can he make a statement like that without knowing? Stern looked awful, like he knew he was done as commish, when he came to his news conference on july 20th.

In the mob , they like to use the term "betrayal" when somebody starts to snitch and that was the term Stern used against Donaghy..

Obviously there are other involved,but to drop the hammer on one saves the integriety of the game if they keep their noses clean.

I would think if an 8-10 yr marginal bench warming vet in the NBA who watches more of the game than they actually play would be interviewd with anonymity when this case was 1st exposed, they would have stated how they thought games were fixed or refs changed the outcome of games regularly.
bringthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
dhenk
Why do you care?

dhenk has an OK reputation so far

Two years ago,we had exactly the same problem in the german soccerleague.
The mafia was also involved.The league executives said it was an "isolated case". Guess what? It wasn`t.

Think about it.

There is not one lonely ref doing the calls he wants to.he has assistants.he`s got supervisors that have to determine his quality as a ref. I can`t belive no one noticed that he made suspect calls...
dhenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #7
Optimus Prime
Swaggy

Optimus Prime has decent reputation

Holy Crooked Refs Batman!
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: