Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #61
AJ2k8
Banned

Default Re: Ariza Won't Take Hometown Discount?

In my opinion we got lucky with this championship and i don't think that providing other teams are healthy we can defend it with the current team. I say the FO should try and upgrade and if that means trying to persuade Ron ron to play for the MLE then do it.
Regardless of his track record, this is a championship team and i doubt artest would destroy a team that could be his last chance at a chip. What he showed in the rockets series was admirable and certainly what i would love to have on this team.

although ideally we would keep odom ariza and add someone else somehow
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #62
Torious
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamba24
Well you may not know this...but kobe not opting out has got to be scary for the organisation. He stated in his exit interview that is crucial to bring back lamar and trevor for them to content.

now if the lakers let one of the two walk or both...and they struggle this year kobe will leave...he wants to win more titles...he has not hashed down an extension and will not until the lakers prove to him they can contend for a few more years.

There's nothing scary about that. If he opts out next year there'll be 2 or 3 free agents that'll be able to "pick their team" before Kobe (LBJ, Wade, Bosh), simply because Kobe will be 32 by then and no matter how good you think he is, he's only going to get worse over the next few years.

And there'll only be so many Teams that will have the cap space to sign max free agents and instantly compete for a chip. I think it's fair to say that his only chance to win another chip as "the man" is to stay in LA (or a trade).

About Ariza...

His Agent is obviously using the Cavs to put preasure on Mitch, he'll be back in LA for 6 mil tops. Although I wouldn't mind if they let him go and get Artest instead.
Torious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #63
gts
Sons of Antartica

if kobe signs an extention he cannot opt out next year
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #64
gts
Sons of Antartica

great article here on the trevor negotiations

i won't post much of it here but i'll point out some things i'd like folks to keep in mind while this is going on

Quote:
It's understandable and predictable that news of Trevor Ariza and the Lakers engaged in
acrimonious, standstill contract
talks would send chills down the Laker Nation's collective spine. The report from ESPN's Chris Broussard certainly doesn't drip with sunshine and moon pies

The Press-Enterprise's Jeffrey Eisenberg relays some copy from TA's agent, which adds little in the way of rainbows to the mood:

"I had a long conversation with Mitch, and I don't think it's going anywhere," agent David Lee said. "I think I'm being optimistic when I say it's not going anywhere."

Asked later if this could lead to Ariza's exit, Lee responded, "Yes, we have no choice. That's the position they've put us in."

All pretty ominous talk. But I while would hardly recommend anybody taking a "p'shaw" attitude, no questions asked, I would also urge people to take trip down Memory Lane. Specifically, back to October, 2008, when Lee was expressing frustration with Andrew Bynum's extension talks:

"I just don't get it," he said. "I do not understand certain things that happen. Andrew has taken everything the Lakers have thrown at him, including criticism. He doesn't do anything to respond other than go on the court. He just goes on with his business.

And...

"It has to get done by the 31st," Lee said. "Otherwise there are, of course, consequences under the collective bargaining agreement."

Plus...

The lack of progress in contract negotiations has left Bynum's agent frustrated. "I would say that's a fair assessment," Lee said. "Disappointed would be a better word than frustrated, but we shall see. Maybe it's premature. We will have a conversation tomorrow and then we'll see where it's going."

like i said great article take a look at the rest
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...ught.html#more

Last edited by gts : 07-02-2009 at 01:28 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #65
barbaroi
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
great article here on the trevor negotiations

i won't post much of it here but i'll point out some things i'd like folks to keep in mind while this is going on

like i said great article take a look at the rest
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakers...ught.html#more
That article actually makes me feel a lot better about the situation... I hope he'll sign for 6 or 6.5 w/ the lakers.
barbaroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #66
dd24
College superstar

It's a tough situation. Trevor was consistent for the Lakers. Of course we are all fans of his now. The team was good enough to beat anyone in the league this year regardless of health (because the Lakers weren't 100% either). Yet, there are still some teams that were contenders last year that upgraded. I like Trevor but talent wise he's not as good as someone like Ron Artest. Does Mitch tinker with the chemistry and go after Ron or does he try to smooth things out with Trevor and go with what he's already seen on the court. I guess that's the 5 million dollar question now, since that's what is seems Mitch wants to spend.

I'm sure Trevor wouldn't look quite as good with lackluster players around him instead of the best in the NBA, one of the best PF's, Lamar, and Bynum. Mitch definitely has some bargaining room here.

Honestly, certain people should take pay cuts to play in LA if they want to play there. There aren't too many cities in the US where the NBA team is the #1 team in town. Besides the fact that it's an organization that wins and has the chance to have a contender for the next 3 or 4 years. If it's just money that Ariza wants this may not be the place for him. There's other things that are important in life too like the city you are in, the organization you work for, the people you work with, and having the chance to succeed.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #67
bladefd
Good college starter

I was thinking about this earlier as a backup plan if all else fails. What if we could sign+trade Ariza+Farmar to Detroit for Tayshaun Prince? Brown would move up to the primary backup PG position, and Prince would start at SF full-time. Detroit would get a younger SF to replace Prince, and Lakers would still be able to get a decent SF without losing Ariza for absolutely nothing.

I mean I know I would take Ariza over Prince without a question, but what if Ariza signs someplace else? We get NOTHING in return for Ariza. We lose Ariza for absolutely nothing..
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #68
dd24
College superstar

Prince > Ariza. I'm not sure why Detroit would do that. They already have a back up PG too. I think the solutions would have to be Hill, Marion, Artest, etc.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #69
bladefd
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Prince > Ariza. I'm not sure why Detroit would do that. They already have a back up PG too. I think the solutions would have to be Hill, Marion, Artest, etc.

So we can make it Ariza + Morrison. Morrison is expiring contract that Det can take off the books at the end of the summer to prepare for next summer FA craziness. If he plays well, they can give him a new contract or do whatever. Morrison is not going to help the Lakers any time soon.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #70
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
So we can make it Ariza + Morrison. Morrison is expiring contract that Det can take off the books at the end of the summer to prepare for next summer FA craziness. If he plays well, they can give him a new contract or do whatever. Morrison is not going to help the Lakers any time soon.

Detroit won't have cap space next year so they don't care about Morrison coming off the books. I'm a big time Detroit guy. I really like Ariza so don't get me wrong, but he isn't Tay. Joe D isn't going to do it. I'm not too worried about the Ariza situation. For this market there are a lot of quality SF's. It really isn't a good time to be a free agent SF. There will be one of those guys who will come to LA for the MLE.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #71
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
I was thinking about this earlier as a backup plan if all else fails. What if we could sign+trade Ariza+Farmar to Detroit for Tayshaun Prince? Brown would move up to the primary backup PG position, and Prince would start at SF full-time. Detroit would get a younger SF to replace Prince, and Lakers would still be able to get a decent SF without losing Ariza for absolutely nothing.

I mean I know I would take Ariza over Prince without a question, but what if Ariza signs someplace else? We get NOTHING in return for Ariza. We lose Ariza for absolutely nothing..

I dont think Ariza is the better player at this moment. He is still a huge question mark in my book. He was a non factor his whole career before he became a starter halfway though last season. He needs to be able to repeat his play for another full year before I am sold on Ariza. He could be the next Sasha V. Sasha had a career year then couldnt hit a bucket.

Prince is a proven winner, does all the little things that dont always show up in the box score and he has a proven track record.

Personel wise I see your arguement for the trade being good for both, but I dont think the Lakers want to take on an extra 7 mil per year to the books. Other wise I would think they would just pay Ariza more, which would be still less than Prince. I also dont see Detroit taking a chance on Ariza when they have a proven guy in Prince, UNLESS they want to cut salary to possibly sign another guy. Hamilton seems to be the odd man out in DET right now as he and Gordon play the same position.

Lastly if Ariza walks, they really wont be loosing him for nothing. They are going to use the MLE this year. Its going to go to Trevor or to another player to replace him, so in essense they dont just lose him for nothing. There are quite a few options who will fall into the Lakers laps due to lack of cap space out there in the nba this offseason. A very good player will be available for the Lakers at a very reasonable price.

One last note...the more and more I think about this the more I realize that Ariza is expendable. Dont get me wrong, I like the kid and would like him back at a reasonable rate, but its not like we cant win without him. He is a role player who stepped up in the playoffs. A role player who hasnt shown us this ability for a full season AND there are enough options to replace him out there.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM   #72
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

Trevor is headed to where I'm currently living...HOUSTON...

His agent fcked him over...he gets MLE from Houston too....

Anyway, thank you SOO much Trev for the good memories and we wish you nothing but the best in the future
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:59 AM   #73
WiltTheStilt
I brick open layups

He got the "H-Town discount".

David Lee is a ****ing tard!
WiltTheStilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 AM   #74
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

fuck.

(Sigh)
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:19 AM   #75
MJ(Mean John)
The Fresh Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltTheStilt
He got the "H-Town discount".

David Lee is a ****ing tard!

Yes.

I 2nd this.
MJ(Mean John) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: