Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #46
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Patterns? Maybe? Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it, or however that saying goes?

That and interest. It makes sense that way more interesting things would've probably happened over the past kabillion (or 6000 - whatever you want to believe) years than what is happening right at this very moment.

I've seen a post like this from you before, but it was centered more around nostalgia.
Having read Atlas Shrugged (upon a recommendation from geeWiz no less), I'd like to think I can understand where he's coming from a little more now than I did whenever I wrote this.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #47
ikoiko
Local High School Star

Default Re: Can someone explain to me what is the fascination with the past all about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
You know what's BS?

International students that have to take US history. That's probably their hardest class.

what? thats crazy. not that they have to take the class, but that the US pretends it has any history.
ikoiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #48
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
The most important and obvious answer to anyone with half a brain is that the past shows us what mistakes we've made and sometimes even how to not repeat them.

The past is just a collection of experiences, and experience is what makes us what we are.

If someone didn't study the reaction of lightning in the sky at some point, we wouldn't have had electricity. If some crazy person didn't play with electricity, we wouldn't have electrical welding.

Just one example in a billion.

On a more personal level, most people focus on their own past because they have regrets. Maybe they feel like they would have liked to have done things differently. Made they just plain feel like they've lost the part of their life where they were the happiest, like before losing a loved one.

Really, for a college student to ask this kind of a question is a pretty sad state of affairs.

Mathius

repped

I agree 100%.

you simply cannot understand the present if you dont have a firm grasp on the past.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: