Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Jeremy Lin not guaranteed to stay with Knicks, says agent

Free agency is 5 1/2 weeks away, but Jeremy Lin

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Default Re: Jeremy Lin not guaranteed to stay with Knicks, says agent

Lin will be a restricted free agent, and the only way he doesn't come back is if Dolan doesn't want him back, but Lin is a cash cow, so he'll be back.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

To me, all this means is that their expecting us to give them the entire mid-level. I know he's a "cash cow" but I wouldn't do it. He's a good player but there are some scary parts of his game still and his summer, like Amare and Melo's was last year, will probably be filled more with rehab than working on correcting his game. I'll take a guy like Delonte West for $1.5 and spend my money elsewhere. Not the end of the world if we do but I'd rather go in another direction. If we do give the MLE to Lin, we better not bring back Fields. That Fields/Lin combo CANNOT be our backcourt next year.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Red"]they better keep him. the knicks has NOT drafted or developed one young player. this is the time to buck that trend. i am tired of the grass is greener philosophy.

develop some player some time soon knicks organization.[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="Red"]they better keep him. the knicks has NOT drafted or developed one young player. this is the time to buck that trend. i am tired of the grass is greener philosophy.

develop some player some time soon knicks organization.[/COLOR]
    I agree we need to develop young talent. I'm just not sure it HAS to be Lin, especially at the cost of our MLE. What we NEED to be doing is seeing if we can get back into the 1st round of the draft.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    I agree we need to develop young talent. I'm just not sure it HAS to be Lin, especially at the cost of our MLE. What we NEED to be doing is seeing if we can get back into the 1st round of the draft.
    [COLOR="Red"]If not now then when? Again the grass is greener mentality.

Go into another year with an ever changing roster. The Knicks are too dysfunctional with major turnover every year with coaches and roster.

At some point their needs to be continuity. If this team plans to be a contender anytime soon they need to develop talent and get a team that can play together.

The roster is going to change but I rather them keep a potential starting 4 to get things rolling ASAP.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]If not now then when? Again the grass is greener mentality.

Go into another year with an ever changing roster. The Knicks are too dysfunctional with major turnover every year with coaches and roster.

At some point their needs to be continuity. If this team plans to be a contender anytime soon they need to develop talent and get a team that can play together.

The roster is going to change but I rather them keep a potential starting 4 to get things rolling ASAP.[/COLOR]
    It's not the grass is greener mentality with me. I've complained year after year about stop gap solutions and roster changes. That doesn't mean I'm going to spend what little money I have on a guy I'm not sure of. I'm in total agreement about getting a young guy and sticking with him. I feel the same way about the coaching staff. I'm just not sure Lin's that guy. Some douche was posting in the ESPN comments section about which PGs are better than Lin and vice versa. I thought I'd make a list. U means guy is better than Lin, or an upgrade over him IMO. D means the guy is a downgrade from Lin IMO. E represents a guy who's about even in talent.

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]Celtics[/COLOR]
    Rondo-U- not a fan of his at all but I'd be lying if I said he isn't better.
    Bradley-E- way better defensively. Not sure he can run a team yet.

Brooklyn
    Williams-U- no brainer. Top 3 PG in the league IMO

[COLOR="Red"]76ers[/COLOR]
    Jrue Holiday-E-I'd rather Lin but their games are about even.
    Lou Williams-E-He can really light it up but whats his true position?

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Raptors[/COLOR]
    Jose Calderon-E-He puts up 8 dimes a game and he lit Lin up but I still think Lin is as good as him
    Jerryd Bayless-E-I've always liked his game. Sucks he's stuck in Toronto.

[COLOR="Red"]Bulls[/COLOR]
    Derrick Rose-U- I think this is obvious. Lin can't hold his jock strap.
    CJ Watson-D- Had a good year but I think Lin is better than him

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Cavs[/COLOR]
    Kyrie Irving-U- Clearly better and younger. Will be a top 5-10 pg soon if not already

[COLOR="Blue"]Pistons[/COLOR]
    Rodney Stuckey-E-About even. Stuckey is very inconsistent though
    Brandon Knight-D-I guess he's the starter now. I like Lin better. I never likd Knights game, even in Kentucky.

[COLOR="Orange"]Pacers[/COLOR]
    George Hill-D-Solid guy who won't make many mistakes but the Heat series is proving that he may just be a solid career backup.
    Darren Collison-E-Playing realy well in the Heat series. Can't figure out why he's coming off the bench. About even with Lin although Lin is the better scorer.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Bucks[/COLOR]
    Brandon Jennings-U- He's erratic and it's frustrating but he's better than Lin.

[COLOR="red"]Hawks[/COLOR]
    Jeff Teague-U- a slight upgrade but an upgrade nonetheless.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Bobcats[/COLOR]
    DJ Augustin-E- I'd rather Lin but their games aren't far apart.
    Kemba Walker-U- Bobcats stunted his growth as a player. No way should he be splitting time with Augustin. His J needs to get better but you can't teach that quickness, handle, instincts and clutch gene. You either have it or you don't. He does.

[COLOR="Magenta"]Heat[/COLOR]
    Norris Cole-D- Lin is better than him. I would have loved to get Cole in the 2nd round last year though.
    Mario Chalmers- D- Lin is definitely better than him although he intimidated Lin and got the better of him when they played each other.

[COLOR="Blue"]Magic[/COLOR]
    Jameer Nelson-U- I don't get why people hate this guy. He can ball. I'd love it if he was the Knicks PG for the right price.I'd do a Dwight and Nelson for Amare and Chandler deal in a heartbeat.

[COLOR="Navy"]Wizards[/COLOR]
    John Wall-U- not for long if he doesn't get a jumper. That said, he is one of the fastest players in the league and already a phenomenal passer.

[COLOR="blue"]Mavericks[/COLOR]
    Jason Kidd-D-At this stage in their careers, Kidd is a definite downgrade and represents the type of stop gap guys the Knicks always fall in love with.
    Delonte West-E-His off the court problems distract from the fact that he can really ball. He'd be a cheap option this summer that we should look at.

[COLOR="Red"]Rockets
    [/COLOR]Goran Dragic-E- This one is tough. Some night they look even but some nights Dragic looks better. I'll keep it at even.
    Kyle Lowry-U-I NEVER thought he'd be this good. He was the 3rd or 4th option at Villanova. He worked his but off though. He's a fiesty defender and a solid pg. Him and Shump in the backcourt would be a stiffling defensive weapon.

[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Grizzlies[/COLOR]
    Mike Conley-D- I like Lin better. I think Conley is erratic and overrated.

[COLOR="MediumTurquoise"]Hornets[/COLOR]
    Jarrett Jack-D- Jack will make less mistakes but probably less impactful plays also. See George Hill.

[COLOR="DimGray"]Spurs[/COLOR]
    Tony Parker-U- My pick for MVP this year. I think I rest my case

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Nuggets[/COLOR]
    Ty Lawson-U- His series vs LA cemented my opinion about Ty. He's the real reason the Nuggets appear better. He was sitting behind Chauncey when Melo was there.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]TWolves[/COLOR]
    Ricky Rubio-E- I think Lin is better but only slightly. Lin's injury wasn't nearly as serious so I'd take Lin.

[COLOR="darkred"]Blazers[/COLOR]
    Raymond Felton-E-Unlike my dad, I don't think he's an upgrade but I do think they are about even. Felton was second only to Diaw in guys who completely blew up in the offseason.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Thunder[/COLOR]
    Russel Westbrook-U-Not a fan of his but c'mon...clearly better than Lin.

[COLOR="Purple"]Jazz[/COLOR]
    Devin Harris-D-I've defended this guy for years but he's just never gotten better. Basketball IQ is severely lacking and if you don't have it at 29, you probably won't ge it.

[COLOR="Orange"]Warriors[/COLOR]
    Steph Curry-U- Only question is his health. When he's on the court, he's clearly better.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Clippers[/COLOR]
    Chris Paul-U- Is an explanation really needed?

[COLOR="Indigo"]Lakers[/COLOR]
    Ramon Sessions-D- Came up suprisingly small but I think it's in part because Brown keeps playing Blake in crunch time. I feel like this guy has been a Knick for years seeing how he's always being talked about here lol

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Suns[/COLOR]
    Nash-U-He's better, but I'd rather develop Lin. not a knock on Nash. He's a HOFer and still has some juice in the tank but really...how long would he be a Knick? A year, maybe 2 tops?

[COLOR="Indigo"]Kings[/COLOR]
    Isaiah Thomas-D- Kinda gace it to Lin when they played. Hes a downgrade but not by much. This guy was the last pick of the draft. These are the guys we should be targetting by trading Toney Douglas
    Jimmer Fredette-D- remember him. Just thought I'd bring his name up out of oblivion.
    Marcus Thornton-D-A big time scorer but I don't trust his ability to run a team. He's really a 2 guard in a pg's body.
    Last edited by franchize; 05-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Good list. Thats about fair on each guy.

Marcus Thornton is basically an undersized SG tho.

But I completely disagree on Mike Conley, he had a terrible Game 7, but hes a far better PG option than Jeremy Lin. His Playoff numbers matched up against Chris Paul were very good. Not only that but he's one of the best PG's in the league in catch & shoot situations, which would make him valuable for playing along with Melo.

I like the list and I agree almost entirely
    I think Rubio would be a major upgrade though (never been high on him, but I think he proved doubters wrong showing he can be a factor in this league).

But I was wondering. I know you hate stop gap solutions, franchise; so do I generally.
    But how much longer are we going to wait until the Knicks should be a legit contender?
    I say 2 seasons MAX.
    Melo is in his prime, so is Chandler. We are not Charlotte. We are 3-4 moves away from being a really scary team. If not next season, the following one we SHOULD be aiming at the ring.
    That's why I think Nash can be a good piece for us, he can help us make a championship run now that we're almost at it.

If I can choose between Nash and Lin for MLE I would take Nash without much hesitation.

Nash can still play at a high level for 2-3 seasons and to be fair he's much better at running the offense than Lin.
    Lin scores more but Nash is a better passer,has a better court vision and is a deadly shooter.

If we are going to keep both Melo and Amare we need someone who can use them both properly. Nash could be that guy.

I don't think anyone would argue who's better. Of course Nash is better than Lin. I just don't see Nash wating to play here, or anywhere else for more than 2 years tops. He's made tons of business ventures in Canada recently. He just seems like a guy preparing himself for retirement and life in Canada.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I want nothing to do with Nash. He is old, and with our luck his first year in NY would end up being the first where he starts to decline hard.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Red"]Most of those guys were drafted or developed by that team. So your making my point. Who knows how good lin will be? Not like the knicks draft to develop![/COLOR]
    Last edited by Rameek; 05-22-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Most of those guys were drafted or developed by that team. So your making my point.
    Yea but Im sure all of their respective teams felt they would be the pg of the future n invested from there. Lin wasnt drafted by the Knicks so we have no obligation to him. We could trade/buy into the 1st round if we felt the need to... Then I would be proving your point. I think you feel like Im saying we should continue this carousel of pgs. No! i totally agree we should invest in a pg for the future. Im just not sold on that guy being Jeremy Lin and with the money he is about to potentially ask for, I want to be sold. I just dont want to give money away just because we need a pg. Thats how we ended up with Duhon. If thats the case, we could "invest" in douglas. Its like when I bought my car. I had a hooptie. It broke down. I new I needed a new one but I didnt just throw my money at the first shiny thing I saw with wheels. I did my hw, researched (scouted), and invested in a new car. Now, even tho it cost me way more than a used car would have, Im comfortable with my purchase because I feel confident it will get the job done for at least 4 yrs.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Red"]my vote is bring him back teach the young dude how to play. Or don't sign him but complain that the knicks don't have a PG next season. There isn't a SG on the team until December. Nothing is never good enough. It has start somewhere development and continuity.[/COLOR]