Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Nhui
Not airballing my layups anymore

Why would Philly balk though? They have nothing to lose unless they plan to resign Salmons. As a restricted FA, Salmons decides where he wants to go and it is up to the teams to see if a deal can be reached so the player can make more money (ala Mike James chose the T-Wolves). They only gain with the 2 picks and trade exception so no way. Salmons may back off only if he gets more money else where, which is unlikely. Bryan may back off if Salmon failed physical (he apparently hasn't even been in Toronto to get that done yet so) or Bryan has 2nd thoughts (which he should, but I doubt he is that kind of GM to back off agreed-on deals, though you may never know). The most probable scenario is a bigger trade coming through (Ppl say Dalembert but his contract is too big, if a big man was to come back, it would be Steven Hunter since he was shopped around last year too, the guy is atheltic and strong, but has had injury problems) or Raps may be involved in the Iverson deal with either Boston or Denver or whoever. We may get a scrub or draft picks back probably to balance off the salaries.
Nhui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:10 PM   #17
Yogi4mvp
Saw a basketball once

Told you guys.
Still haven't been able to find out what the problem is though.
Yogi4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:56 AM   #18
pirate army
Learning to shoot layups

Rep counts, and I still feel like the original deal may happen, but we don't know that the verbal deal wasn't 'Assuming the Iverson trade doesn't get going again . . .' or something.
I like Salmons, and when looking at his numbers remember his age and role.
pirate army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:36 AM   #19
Phesto
Fire BC! Hire GG!

Posted on the main page that Salmons decided to back out of the deal. Perhaps he didn't think he'd get enought playing time? Or didn't think he'd start (since they signed Parker the same day, he may have soon realized that Parker would start?).

Either way, it's not a big deal. I think he would have been a decent signing...but $23 mil/5 years seemed kinda long. So, the Raps now have nearly $5 mil more to spend. Do they do it?
Phesto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:42 AM   #20
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

he backed out, like pheso said. Philly wants no part of him, but we do want compensation for him. I think Charlotte might be an option same with maybe phoenix(but they signed banks so its less likely). He didn't like the thought of playing there i guess, and now i dont know where hes going. And for the kid that asked if ai will end up in toronto now, quit dreaming. That will never happen.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:03 AM   #21
craigthomasb
College star

from what ive been hearing i have great respect for john salmons, he isnt just going for the money, he wants to go somwhere where he will actually get some good PT, good for him
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:41 AM   #22
DoubleTech
College star

what an idiot.

kiss goodbye 25 million bucks salmons, cause no team will offer you CLOSE to that now.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:15 AM   #23
T-Low
College superstar

Since he is not coming to Toronto for sure, we can finally say that this guy let a good deal slip away. Like honestly, 5 Years at $23 Million? That will be the best deal he will find. But I think a big factor why he didn't sign was because this contract was to long. Money was right, but contract too long. And honestly, I would agree. But on the other hand, he might have just not wanted to come play for the Canadian Team. I don't understand it though, the game was made by a Canadian, but is overpopulated with American teams...Thats just like hockey. We need more credit...Get an Edmonton or Winnipeg or Ottawa basketball team.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:40 AM   #24
bk33
duck my sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phesto
Posted on the main page that Salmons decided to back out of the deal. Perhaps he didn't think he'd get enought playing time? Or didn't think he'd start (since they signed Parker the same day, he may have soon realized that Parker would start?).

Either way, it's not a big deal. I think he would have been a decent signing...but $23 mil/5 years seemed kinda long. So, the Raps now have nearly $5 mil more to spend. Do they do it?

if playing time was the issue, where else can he find a lesser competition than anthony parker?
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #25
Too_Cool
I rule the local playground

Ya, John Salmons is a retard.

In other thougts, I believe Toronto should not sign Eddie house because he will only cut down on more playing time for the younger players, save the cap for maybe a future trade or aqqusition next year when our needs change.

Can you say Rocko Ukic!?!?--this really is a blessing in disguise

Last edited by Too_Cool : 07-22-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:18 AM   #26
nerdsunite
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Agreed...i would not want Colangilo to sign eddie house either.....he's not going provide anything to this team. We dont need a streak shooter, especially at 4 - 5 million a year.
nerdsunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:58 AM   #27
brwnman

Eddie House is a better player than Raptors' fans here are giving him credit for... he is a very good scorer, granted he chucks at times, but every team atleast one of those guys that can come in and hit a few shots and then sit back down without complaining...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:01 PM   #28
Phesto
Fire BC! Hire GG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Eddie House is a better player than Raptors' fans here are giving him credit for... he is a very good scorer, granted he chucks at times, but every team atleast one of those guys that can come in and hit a few shots and then sit back down without complaining...

Yeah I agree that Eddie House would be a decent signing. He is like Mike James Lite. Not as good a penetrator and finisher, but he's a good outside shooter and has no problem letting them fly, and he's not a headcase like James. Get him for 1-2 years at $3 mil a season.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #29
Phesto
Fire BC! Hire GG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk33
if playing time was the issue, where else can he find a lesser competition than anthony parker?

What other reason would there be to pull out? Unless he has some other deal in the works, it seems utterly foolish. One the player gets the money (more than he deserved) and the long contract (longer than we should have offered), the main issue would be playing time. If John Salmons didnt think he could compete for playing time with an unproven (in the NBA) Anthony Parker at the 2 and with Jose Calderon at the PG spot, than I'm almost glad this didn't happen.
Old 07-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #30
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman

He doesn't provide any stability or long-term plan at the position though, which is what the rebuilding Raptors need. The Raptors need someone they can lean on to build with their current youthful core, John Salmons would have provided that. Eddie House doesn't provide anything significant to the Raptors besides a quick scoring threat, something we don't need. House is a suitable addition to a championship contender, we need more then a plug in, to me House represents someone you plug in to fill a minor need, he's too one dimensional.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: