Default weight trainig on an empty stomach

its Ramadan so ill be fasting till 8 pm and I wanna go weight training before that (around 6pm) i heard weight training on an empty stomach is bad for you is that true?

Da Mavs

Default Re: weight trainig on an empty stomach

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by waseem780
    its Ramadan so ill be fasting till 8 pm and I wanna go weight training before that (around 6pm) i heard weight training on an empty stomach is bad for you is that true?
    Not true at all. Studies have shown training fasted doesn't affect your actual performance by a great extent and is mainly personal preference (I'm assuming you're just a normal gym-goer trying to get/stay in shape).

I'm not too familiar with Ramadan, but is it also true that you cannot drink water during the day as well? That would screw up your workout because of dehydration but being fasted wouldn't affect it to any great extent.

Just make sure you're getting as many calories during sunset-sunrise as you would if you were eating normally throughout the day (unless you're trying to cut obviously).
    Last edited by DoodleDa; 06-29-2014 at 07:01 PM.

NBA Superstar

I've read up on this and it's totally true. I went to the gym on an empty stomach and played fullcourt basketball for 4 hours and came home and went to bed and the next day was literally 5 pounds lighter than I was the morning before.

It has something to do with your body not having any stored fat to breakdown so it just burns fat at a much higher rate or some shit
    Last edited by russwest0; 06-29-2014 at 07:16 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

Personally I prefer fasted for the complete focus of the brain.. but around minute 18 ya start to feel dizzy especially when doing legs.

Carbs + Creatine + Caffeine post iftar and time workout @ midnight is best IMO.

BTW stop acting like a fukking degenerate with the weed and girl threads I can' fukking stand u pakistani urban muslim hypocrite types. Thank god Moe and Scholar and big boi baller are cool and make up for your reeking insecurity.
    Last edited by JEFFERSON MONEY; 06-29-2014 at 07:18 PM.

I wouldn't recommend doing it. You might feel light headed and dizzy. Might even faint. I know for a fact I wouldn't be able too. I did it today and wasn't able to do as much as I felt I could

You just won't be able to work as hard or have anywhere near the energy you would if you went on a full stomach or preworkout meal.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Personally I prefer fasted for the complete focus of the brain.. but around minute 18 ya start to feel dizzy especially when doing legs.

Carbs + Creatine + Caffeine post iftar and time workout @ midnight is best IMO.

BTW stop acting like a fukking degenerate with the weed and girl threads I can' fukking stand u pakistani urban muslim hypocrite types. Thank god Moe and Scholar and big boi baller are cool and make up for your reeking insecurity.
    Well at least you don't skip leg day

I rule the local playground

I only eat once a day at night so I do this every time I workout. It used to suck when I first started fasting every day but I prefer working out on an empty stomach now. I'll spend an hour lifting then do 20-30 mins of cardio without any trouble.

Why don't you break fast and use that as your pre-workout meal. Eat again right after your workout. And again in the morning before you fast. Empty stomach sounds like a bad idea.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss
    Why don't you break fast and use that as your pre-workout meal. Eat again right after your workout. And again in the morning before you fast. Empty stomach sounds like a bad idea.
    Hodge Twins workout on an empty stomach when they're on the IF diet and they said after a few days you'll get used to it. They didn't lose any muscle either.

The body adapts and isn't as fragile as people think. I'd say get someone to spot you on certain exercises just in case.

Good college starter NZStreetBaller's Avatar

if your looking to lose weight great. if your bulking up worst thing to do. i did it this evening for the first time. never again man.

Good college starter NotYetGreat's Avatar

Man, this is gonna be the 14378213th time Imma say this on this forum.

I'm on an IF type eating scheme where I eat only between 1-9 PM, plus minus 30 minutes. I train in the afternoons so I have a bit of food in me from my 1 PM meal but I make sure it's not anything over. I also do some sprints and swings or play basketball on some mornings with just a cup of coffee with coconut oil and butter in me and it gets me through the whole morning. Biggest meal at night/after training.

Been doing this for one and half years and it was at this time that I actually gained weight and got stronger. From 158 lbs I'm up to 175 (haven't weighed myself lately but people say I'm looking closer to 180 now) and I'm really not gonna look back from this type of eating style.

VERDICT: Definitely not true, and from a lot of studies and personal experience, it can be beneficial. Increased mental focus, hormonal system function, etc. Just look it up and you'll find a lot of things. The Warrior Diet is a great place to start for the benefits of IF.

Da Mavs

Since fasting includes not drinking water...I think that would be really hard to work out during the time you can't drink water...dehydration can be really bad.