Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Simpsons vs. Futurama: Which did you prefer?

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic Man
    Yea, but The B*tch with 1 eye >>>>> Marge. I'd hit either one, but still.
    Marge is a rather bland character so that's not saying much.

Decent college freshman TheGame414's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    Marge is a rather bland character so that's not saying much.
    On the contrary, the show wouldn't work without Marge. When everyone's a wacky lunatic, you get Family Guy: sure, it's really funny, but it doesn't resonate or really mean anything. (And I like Family Guy. I just like it in the same way I like sports highlights, just not nearly as much as watching an actual game.)

Anyway, the guy who said that the Simpsons was better when Conan was there and worse (than Futurama) when he wasn't has a point, though I don't know that I'd nail the timeframe down that exactly or fully credit Conan for the difference.

The Simpsons simply stayed on longer than any show is capable of being great, and even still they churn out some quality stuff every now and then these days.

Futurama is a very smart, very funny show that's extremely well-written- arguably as well-written as Simpsons at its peak in some ways- but you just can't beat Simpsons at its peak, and it was a peak that lasted from season four until perhaps season nine or ten.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 05-14-2009 at 04:55 AM.

BRINKER
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Simpsons, by a measure of distance that has yet to be imagined.

Granted I've only seen four or five episodes of Futurama, but none of them particularly struck a chord that made me want to continue watching.

I dont think you could find 5 episodes of the Simpsons that wouldnt make someone wanna immediately watch another half hour installment. Show is seriously incredible. The fact alone that people here are actually poo-pooing it makes me lament the state of man.
    Last edited by BRINKER; 05-14-2009 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BRINKER
    Simpsons, by a measure of distance that has yet to be imagined.

Granted I've only seen four or five episodes of Futurama, but none of them particularly struck a chord that made me want to continue watching.

I dont think you could find 5 episodes of the Simpsons that wouldnt make someone wanna immediately watch another half hour installment. Show is seriously incredible. The fact alone that people here are actually poo-pooing it makes me lament the state of man.
    Having seen every episode of both show, most of them multiple times, you're drastically overstating the difference in quality and are misjudging Futurama based on five episodes. I know this is all opinion and whatnot, but your opinion is wrong.

I could absolutely find a sample of five Simpsons episodes that would make you not want to watch the show again. Hell, even if I limited it to the peak years, I could find you five bad episodes. Not even the best show in TV history went without a few clunkers during the good years, not to mention several dreadful years it had earlier this decade (it's made a semi-comeback to watchability in the last couple years, though American Dad kinda rules the Sunday night Fox lineup at this point, and has for some time).

The peak seasons of Simpsons are definitely better than Futurama, and I would hope that goes without argument, but it isn't unfair to make the comparison.

Granted, we're talking about very different sample sizes, but on average Futurama isn't that far behind. It is definitely better than the Simpsons from about 2002-2007 and there inlies the difference: Futurama didn't stay around long enough to experience a real dip in quality. As witnessed by the two movies they've done since the show ended, they probably had a ways to go before they did drop off.
    Last edited by TheGame414; 05-14-2009 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackass18
    The Simpsons. It took me a while to come around on Futurama. Homer >>>>> Bender.
    Roberto >>>>>>>>>> Both Homer & Bender

BRINKER
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGame414
    On the contrary, the show wouldn't work without Marge.

Heh. I always thought my mom may as well have been the inspiration for Marge Simpson. She's like a carbon copy. Almost everything about Marge, even most of the small details and references my mom seems to have in common with her. Altho their hair is nothing alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Junny
    Roberto >>>>>>>>>> Both Homer & Bender

I always prefered Hedonismbot, or Malfunctioning Eddy.

Da Bulls! Da Bears! DieHardBullsFan's Avatar

Simpsons.....and I think 100% of the people on ISH would agree!

end thread.

Banned

they're both good. Homer and Bender are 2 of my favorite personalities, next to Cartman.

im sorry bender is the only character that can **** bricks. hence futurama > simpsons.

futurama just appeals more to me, it seems like the same show, and because its in the future they can always do so much with the plot.

Futurama. based on concept and writing. and the professor.

simpsons and its not even close